The Student Room Group

What to do with A*,B, D?

Hi everyone

I wanted to study Architecture in 2015 after taking a gap year but have done really poorly on my A level results. I got a D* in Photography, B in Spanish (1 mark off an A which I will have remarked) and a D in physics. On the face of it I know D*, B (or A), D are not that bad but I fell way below my predicted grades (D*, A*, B) and architecture courses tend to have higher than average grade requirements.

During my gap year I am working full time in an architects office doing similar tasks to Architectural Assistants and I am hoping that universities will take this into account along with a relevant extended project (that I got a B in).

Would it be worth retaking 2 or 3 modules from Physics? I am aware that it would be a lot of work but at the same time I have read that a lot of universities are not keen on retaking students.

The Universities that I wanted to apply to are:
Sheffield (AAA) this was a long shot and only would have applied if I got my predicted grades. Is it worth applying here or will I be instantly rejected despite work experience and hopefully a good portfolio?

Oxford Brookes (AAB)
Northumbria (AAB)
UWE (300 UCAS points I think?)
Westminster (BBB)

Do you think most of these would instantly reject me or would possibly give conditional offers whereby I have to improve my Physics and Spanish grades. There are very few universities with BBB or below requirements that interest me. As I have said, there seems to higher than average requirements for architecture. It is also a really weird combination of grades.

I'm really disappointed because I worked really hard but it seems I just cracked under the pressure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by HarryW03
Hi everyone

I wanted to study Architecture in 2015 after taking a gap year but have done really poorly on my A level results. I got a D* in Photography, B in Spanish (1 mark off an A which I will have remarked) and a D in physics. On the face of it I know D*, B (or A), D are not that bad but I fell way below my predicted grades (D*, A*, B) and architecture courses tend to have higher than average grade requirements.

During my gap year I am working full time in an architects office doing similar tasks to Architectural Assistants and I am hoping that universities will take this into account along with a relevant extended project (that I got a B in).

Would it be worth retaking 2 or 3 modules from Physics? I am aware that it would be a lot of work but at the same time I have read that a lot of universities are not keen on retaking students.

Sheffield (AAA) this was a long shot and only would have applied if I got my predicted grades. Is it worth applying here or will I be instantly rejected despite work experience and hopefully a good portfolio?

Oxford Brookes (AAB)
Northumbria (AAB)
Westminster (BBB)

Do you think most of these would instantly reject me or would possibly give conditional offers whereby I have to improve my Physics and Spanish grades. There are very few universities with BBB or below requirements that interest me. As I have said, there seems to higher than average requirements for architecture. It is also a really weird combination of grades.

I'm really disappointed because I worked really hard but it seems I just cracked under the pressure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
On balance, I suspect retaking Physics might be helpful, if you think there's a good chance of improving your grade. However it would be really important to talk to all your uni choices about their expectations. Work experience and a portfolio will be strong additions to your application, but each uni may take a different view about how much weight they put on them, and what leeway there might be on grades as a result.

In a nutshell, before making any decisions about retakes, get chapter and verse from the unis you are interested in and work from there.
Original post by HarryW03

Oxford Brookes (AAB)
Northumbria (AAB)
Westminster (BBB)

As far as I'm aware, whilst most universities would look favourably on a candidate who has work experience than one who doesn't, it tends to come down to grades and portfolio. Unless you were applying with AAA predicted to Sheffield, you'd be very unlikely to get an offer (sorry). It's probably worth retaking physics modules to try and pull that grade up, bbut obviously be aware there is a certain level of physics within architecture, wherever you study. On the whole, I'd focus on making your portfolio as strong as possible, and applying to places that you meet the requirements for. It could also be worth contacting universities to see what they think about your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending