The Student Room Group

A2 Biology vs. AS Further Maths

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what to do next year.

I've just finished lower sixth (AS year), and I did the following subjects;
Maths, Physics, Biology, and Art, and I got A's in all of them.

But now I'm faced with a dilemma; I'm thinking about studying physics once I leave school, hopefully at oxford or imperial etc.

But I've heard that Further Maths is very good to have for this, almost even required.

But at my school, They only offer AS Further maths, which we study during Upper Sixth - We don't get to do the full A-level, as far as I know.

I would have to drop a subject to take on AS further maths, and if I was going to drop one it would be Biology.

If I drop Biology, I'm left with Maths, Physics, Art, and AS further maths - so I would only have 3 full A-levels (one being art - is art even valued at all for this) and an AS.

- is this better or worse than having the 4 full A levels, without any further maths?

So what should I do?
Reply 1
You don't need 4 A-levels, so having 3 is fine even if you weren't to take an extra AS.

Taking AS Further will help you be more competitive for those universities and Physics, so it's entirely worth doing.
Reply 2
Original post by Nymthae
You don't need 4 A-levels, so having 3 is fine even if you weren't to take an extra AS.

Taking AS Further will help you be more competitive for those universities and Physics, so it's entirely worth doing.

Even for oxford? I thought you needed 4. Also, I'm still wondering about art: would they even consider someone with art as one of their 3 A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest