The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
InaSpin
Ahh BUAS!
Yes they are keen on fitness. Their GTI is brilliant and they, as a Sqn are keen on fitness - which features regularly on all camp programs. IIRC it's 4 lengths of their pool (which is small) then wait for everyone to finish then tread water for 2 mins and clamber out unaided (which is very easy in said pool I have to say...)

Now i'm worried, I may be quite fit but not hugely fit!:p:
Nah I should be ok

I assume the pool is a 25m one so 100m overall? The last time I did that I had to do it fully clothed so should be easy.

As I said before it's nice to know what you are getting into so its not too much of a shock.:smile:
Reply 61
im just going throught the raf sponcership (all info sent off to cranwell now) and was just wondering what sports are availible at the uas because i am currently a second dan blackbelt in shotokan and goju-ryu karate and i want to continue training. i'm quite sure martial arts is recognised by the RAF (hence the raf martial arts association) but i'm not sure if the uas's do it. and also if they dont does anyone know if it would be possible to start a club within the uas as i should be a fully qualified instructor by that point?
Reply 62
The UAS will basically let you do anything you want to be honest :smile: (Well NUAS does :smile:)

If your willing to arrange it, and others are interested, they will most prob. help you out!
Reply 63
sounds good to me ive got everythin i need to start a club (from the martial arts insurance and paperwork side of things) i'll just need the interest thanks for that
robbo - you do know that universities have lots of clubs and societies? There will probably be a non-UAS club that would give more student structure for your interests - competition etc.
Reply 65
im well aware of this however to go into the detail of different styles of karate even if your have two of the same style they are not necasserily the same it all depends on the instructor i know for a fact that there is a shotokan karate club at manchester uni but ive looked into it and it uses kugb syllabus (which i dont agree with) i would much rather continue teaching and training the style i was originally tought. this will also means with regard to legal instructing matters i can get help from my current instructors. As far as competitions are concerned many dont have the propper insurance to run them and there is only one i know that does. basically speaking the easiest way i see of continuing straining to the current standard and using my clubs syllabus is to start my own club and i was just wondering if it would be possible within the uas.

sorry for all this about martial arts on a uas thread but what can i say its my hobby.

Latest