The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I think I can solve the problem here. All A-levels are Mickey Mouse subjects. They're too easy, and they're getting easier.
Why oh why are there such double standards?
Being able to play an instrument (or act well is) a talent (needing skill gained through rigorous practice) favoured by a particular kind of mind - some people's minds just don't take to music - they have no sense of rhythm or are tone deaf (things which cannot be taught), an no-one slags them off for that.
Now take maths - it too is a talent, and some minds simply do not work mathematically, no matter how hard the person tries.
It's fine not to be able to do music, but if you don't take maths you get slagged off for doing micky mouse subjects.
Reply 42
Languages seem to have been totally ignored in this thread - they surely come under 'proper' subjects.
Reply 43
Some big wig who was something to do with a decent university once came out with the phrase:

"of dubious academic or economic value"

Perhaps we should replace the Proper noun "Mickey Mouse" with the above?
Reply 44
Philosophy is definitely not a mickey mouse subject. I did it to AS and - as someone who is on track for straight As in several 'proper' subjects (English and History particularly) - I didn't carry it on to A2 because it was just so hard. It requires a whole different way of thinking to anything else I've ever studied and you need to get to grips with some really complex ideas which do literally take you round in circles. I loved it and found it fascinating, but it was such hard work. Same goes for Psychology really, I'm enjoying my A2 course but it's very hard because it's so thorough and detailed. I, personally, find my 'proper' English Lit and History courses easier.

I wouldn't actually write any of those subjects off as "mickey mouse" without first trying to do an A-level in them though. Most of them are very demanding in their own right, even if they're not using traditional academic skills. You'll often find that people condemning subjects as "mickey mouse" are people who haven't been near an exam hall for years and have no real idea what these newer subjects entail.
Reply 45
Here's an indisputable Mickey Mouse subject...
http://socrates.berkeley.edu:4050/idslib.html
Reply 46
silly.. none of them are pointless, otherwise they wouldnt exist would they?
Reply 47
kimoni
silly.. none of them are pointless, otherwise they wouldnt exist would they?
*Coughs* General studies. Most colleges do this because they get the same funding as a normal A level.
Reply 48
Lord Huntroyde
Languages seem to have been totally ignored in this thread - they surely come under 'proper' subjects.

I've just read the thread and politics has been left out as well. Does that mean its not classified as a subject at all or its just not worth a mention?
Reply 49
I did music as GCSE and i must say its an easy subject because most of the time we just talked. The composing was done using sibalius on the computers so that didn't take too long and the peice i played on the keyboard was pretty simple. Trouble is i didn't practise it so i didn't play it very well and got a D in music GCSE :frown:

I'm considering taking it as an AS next year if they let me, coz I can do better if i try. Music can get a person very far in some cases, think about the people working for games companies and even in the tv and film industry.
I do a Double AVCE in Business, worth 2 A-Levels.

2/3rds assignment based (8 in total, average 5,000 words per assignment. No chance of re-submission.), 4 2-hour exams and the course has been deemed by the education board as taught at full A2 Level throughout the course. Units that range from Human Resources, Business Law to E-Commerce.

Anyone who calls AVCE as 'crap' should really do the course for a semester - I think that they will change their minds.

However, I do think that the course gets its bad reputation because a large percentage of the students are not interested in the course.

I also do another A-Level for good meassure. But then again, it is a Micky Mouse one, so is it worth it?!
Reply 51
mark001282
I'm considering taking it as an AS next year if they let me, coz I can do better if i try. Music can get a person very far in some cases, think about the people working for games companies and even in the tv and film industry.
I think if that eprson have a diploma/Grade 8+ in that instrument, then it shows more than an A in Alevel will.
Reply 52
where would modern languages go? mickey mouse or proper?
Proper! I'm doing A Level German and it is not exactly easy!
Reply 54
languages i recon are propper cos its a hard skill (for me neways)
Reply 55
Maybe we need to define 'mickey mouse'.

There seem to be a couple of common themes.

If a subject is 'hard' then it is not mickey mouse.
If I am doing a subject then it is not mickey mouse.
If it is traditional then it is not mickey mouse.

mmmmmmmm

OK I'm prepared for flack on this one, call me a troll if you like.

Maths is a mickey mouse subject. (talking about GCSE - A Level here, not uni)

It is MM because it involves no origional thought. It requires you to demonstrate techinques such as applying formulae.

It does not require critical thinking. It requires you to be able to regurgitate concepts not develop them.

It's emperor's new clothes. Have you noticed how proud parents are if their child takes maths at A level? There is a perception that if you do maths you are clever.

Whether a subject is Mickey Mouse or not is relevant. I remember my brother telling my cousin she was taking MM subjects at A level. She took Sociology and Economics (can't remember what else).

My brother did what he considered 'proper subjects'. Biology, Business Studies and Government and Politics.

And basically, does it matter?
Most people will not require any more than basic arithmetic in their lives
Reply 56
people find different subjects easier or harder, so to me something like Media could be quite boring and long......(i am not a big fan of writing at length about crap :smile:). i consider it hard and respect the people that do it, no subject is a mickey mouse subject.

I do Maths, Physics, and Biology. (did chem AS)

BIOLOGY IS THE HARDEST!!!
Reply 57
sashh
Maybe we need to define 'mickey mouse'.

There seem to be a couple of common themes.

If a subject is 'hard' then it is not mickey mouse.
If I am doing a subject then it is not mickey mouse.
If it is traditional then it is not mickey mouse.

mmmmmmmm

OK I'm prepared for flack on this one, call me a troll if you like.

Maths is a mickey mouse subject. (talking about GCSE - A Level here, not uni)

It is MM because it involves no origional thought. It requires you to demonstrate techinques such as applying formulae.

It does not require critical thinking. It requires you to be able to regurgitate concepts not develop them.

It's emperor's new clothes. Have you noticed how proud parents are if their child takes maths at A level? There is a perception that if you do maths you are clever.

Whether a subject is Mickey Mouse or not is relevant. I remember my brother telling my cousin she was taking MM subjects at A level. She took Sociology and Economics (can't remember what else).

My brother did what he considered 'proper subjects'. Biology, Business Studies and Government and Politics.

And basically, does it matter?
Most people will not require any more than basic arithmetic in their lives

I get the point you are making, and to some extent you are right (but if you do something like STEP, that is far more "reasoned" or "critical" thinking - maths provides you with the tools, but you have to apply the right ones correctly, which is just logical reasoning in another way.) I'm not a mickey mouse basher, as it's impossible to draw a line in the sand - different subjects for different students. However, I will defend maths (usually, maths is bashed all the time as "boring" and "geeky", although it's arguably presents some of the most beautiful things and conceptsif you get to a high enough level at pure. Unfortunately, very few people have the knowledge to appreciate it.)

I'd also argue the other way. Many people always profess that "I could never do maths" but you never get anybody saying "I could never write". On here is a bt of an anomoly mathswise (as was that sentence Englishwise).

And, by perception only, wouldn't economics be better than business studies in the eyes of a Mikey Mouser like your brother? :confused:
Reply 58
meepmeep

I'd also argue the other way. Many people always profess that "I could never do maths" but you never get anybody saying "I could never write". On here is a bt of an anomoly mathswise (as was that sentence Englishwise).

And, by perception only, wouldn't economics be better than business studies in the eyes of a Mikey Mouser like your brother? :confused:

Well exactly, my brother considered his subjects to not be MM.

BTW I can't write. I'm dyslexic which means I've always had a problem but I now also have arthritis so I find it very difficult to hold a pen.
Reply 59
sashh
Well exactly, my brother considered his subjects to not be MM.

BTW I can't write. I'm dyslexic which means I've always had a problem but I now also have arthritis so I find it very difficult to hold a pen.
No offence, but you seem to have a good standard of English (and your spelling seems better than mine).

that sounded kind of weird....

And I didn't really mean write as such, more construct sentences and read. Fair point though, but I was suggesting in the general case that its more likely that people who could do maths but didn't like it to say "I could never do maths", which could influence kids into thinking that its ok to get by without basic arithmetic because some idiot has boasted about not being able to maths on the TV.

Back on subject, I get your point. Mickeyness (argh, more blatent destruction of English by me) is all about perspective. You're bound to stick up for your own subject and sometimes look down on others because, generally, most people take subjects they are interested in and like to show others how enjoyable their subject can be.

Latest

Trending

Trending