The Student Room Group

Really like a girl met while traveling - but have girlfriend back in the UK

I'm currently traveling for 4 months and met a lovely girl who I like so much and she really likes me too. The problem is that I have a girlfriend back in the UK so I'm not sure what to do..

Our relationship with my gf hasn't recently been that great but we've still been nearly 2 years together. It wouldn't feel right dumping her over the phone just because I've started liking someone else while traveling.

I'll be reuniting with my gf in 2 months though and we'll have another year left in the same uni. Our relationship has been something that I could describe as being "OK" at its best.

If I was going to make this into anything more with this girl here who I like, it would become a seriously long distance relationship +6000 miles so obviously it would be impossible unless one of us would relocate.

I want to make a rational choice - but I must admit that I very rarely feel like this about a girl like I do about the girl here.
Reply 1
Well one, if the relationship is only ok at best, you probably should have ended it a while ago. Two, things always seem nice and rosy when you're travelling and the world is this big amazing place and it's all fun. Like you say yourself, it's a massive distance to be apart, and it probably wouldn't pan out. I wouldn't be with either of them.
Reply 2
It's 100% ok.

The new girl is there with you, right? Well, your old gf isn't doing you much good being in another country.

Say you phone old gf up and ditch her - she gets cross, you feel bad - no one wins.

Do what ever you like abroad, and if it works out, you tell old gf when you get back and carry on with new gf.

If on the other hand, new gf doesn't work out, you still haven't burned your bridges. It's win-win-win.
Original post by Clip
It's 100% ok.

The new girl is there with you, right? Well, your old gf isn't doing you much good being in another country.

Say you phone old gf up and ditch her - she gets cross, you feel bad - no one wins.

Do what ever you like abroad, and if it works out, you tell old gf when you get back and carry on with new gf.

If on the other hand, new gf doesn't work out, you still haven't burned your bridges. It's win-win-win.

So you'd be totally fine with your partner cheating on you while abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ldsbabe
Well one, if the relationship is only ok at best, you probably should have ended it a while ago. Two, things always seem nice and rosy when you're travelling and the world is this big amazing place and it's all fun. Like you say yourself, it's a massive distance to be apart, and it probably wouldn't pan out. I wouldn't be with either of them.

Seems like a very negative attitude towards life- type of post without any of the "live in the moment" spirit. Don't take any offense though, as all your points are very true! But I could at least enjoy the 2 months with this girl I like, which would be something special for me. I've been with many girls, but very few (if any) i've truely liked.

Original post by Clip
It's 100% ok.

It seems like you caught the last line of my post, "I want to make a rational choice", as you gave me a very rational solution. Thanks. Maybe not the most ethical one but the most rational.

Original post by Musie Suzie

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that is what he means.. but of course, thinking from the gf's point of view it isn't very nice.
Reply 5
Original post by Musie Suzie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course not. Because I am a hypocrite.
Reply 6
OP obviously wants permission to cheat on his girlfriend and gets it from 1d1ot hypocrite.
Job done!:rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Seems like a very negative attitude towards life- type of post without any of the "live in the moment" spirit. Don't take any offense though, as all your points are very true! But I could at least enjoy the 2 months with this girl I like, which would be something special for me. I've been with many girls, but very few (if any) i've truely liked.

It seems like you caught the last line of my post, "I want to make a rational choice", as you gave me a very rational solution. Thanks. Maybe not the most ethical one but the most rational.

I don't think that is what he means.. but of course, thinking from the gf's point of view it isn't very nice.

think of it like this for all you know she could be banging someone else whilst you're travelling
Original post by Clip
Of course not. Because I am a hypocrite.

Jolly good. All the most successful relationships are based on double standards.

Do you feel your hypocrisy is a problem? Will you seek to improve yourself, or seek a girl who will put up with it/be oblivious? Genuinely interested in your view on it.
Anyway, to actually advise the OP; taking the other girl out of the equation, the way you write about your relationship as being "only OK at best" suggests that you should really end things with your girlfriend and give you both the chance to go on to have great relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending