The Student Room Group

Can someone identify this spider?!

I found this in my bedroom this morning. I was on my own so took a picture of it to show my mum when she got back. Now everyone I've shown the picture to has said they've not seen anything like it, it's true, I don't think I've ever seen a spider like this. Now I'm a bit worried about where this spider has come from and wondered if anyone can identify it?

Thanks for your help?
Yep that's a spider
Wolf spider by the looks of it

http://arabpestcontrol.com/Portals/0/wolf%20spider2.jpg

Wolf spider from google images

Very dangerous! Don't get bit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jackoclypse
Yep that's a spider

Haha Sherlock

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's a wolf spider, the markings and colouration when you look closer are really quite different.

edit: it looks more like a hobo spider

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/images/content/male%20hobo%20spider.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
It's a radioactive spider... Congratulations!
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't think it's a wolf spider, the markings and colouration when you look closer are really quite different.

edit: it looks more like a hobo spider

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/images/content/male%20hobo%20spider.jpg

Yep I withdraw my wolf spider claim defiantly a hobo spider. I bow down to your superior entomology skill.
Yep I withdraw my wolf spider claim defiantly a hobo spider. I bow down to your superior entomology skill.

Entomologists don't cover spiders as they are arachnids not insects :wink:
Entomologists don't cover spiders as they are arachnids not insects :wink:

Dammit, it should now be obvious not to listen to me about anything to do with spiders. According to a quick google search I meant to say 'arachnology' so TIL I guess.
Dammit, it should now be obvious not to listen to me about anything to do with spiders. According to a quick google search I meant to say 'arachnology' so TIL I guess.

eheh I know next to nothing on the subject myself, I just have a good eye. But I hate spiders! With a passion :frown:
eheh I know next to nothing on the subject myself, I just have a good eye. But I hate spiders! With a passion :frown:

I love spiders so long as they are on the other side of a computer screen in real life not so much :P. How did you recognise the hobo spider then?
I love spiders so long as they are on the other side of a computer screen in real life not so much :P. How did you recognise the hobo spider then?

Well at first I thought you were spot on but then when I looked closer saw the markings were quite different but everything else looked similar so I googled "spiders that look like wolf spiders" and then I just went through what I found until I saw the hobo one and I was like "jackpot"
Well at first I thought you were spot on but then when I looked closer saw the markings were quite different but everything else looked similar so I googled "spiders that look like wolf spiders" and then I just went through what I found until I saw the hobo one and I was like "jackpot"

Ah google foo to the rescue. Wolf spider was one of a few types of spider I know about from watching various documentaries and I thought I recognised it. But when I googled wolfspider there seemed to be lots of different pictures for it so I figured it was just a different type or a wolf spider in a certain stage of development. Anyway once again good job :smile:.
Ah google foo to the rescue. Wolf spider was one of a few types of spider I know about from watching various documentaries and I thought I recognised it. But when I googled wolfspider there seemed to be lots of different pictures for it so I figured it was just a different type or a wolf spider in a certain stage of development. Anyway once again good job :smile:.

Aye I thought that too at first.
And thank you. :colondollar:
Reply 14
Looks like a giant house spider.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From just seeing the photos of these spiders I have become super paranoid that there is a spider in my room just watching and waiting until I fall asleep... I hate living in Australia :colondollar:
Reply 17
Yeah I think it was just a large house spider. I've never seen one with markings like that before, they are usually just brown. Or perhaps it's just I don't usually get that close!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending