The Student Room Group

LNAT Essay Structure

I'm having a look at the LNAT at the moment. I was hoping someone could give some advice regarding the structure of the essay section.

At the moment, I normally write one separate paragraph that covers one counter point. Is this fine? Or should I integrate counter points throughout the essay?
I was having the same problem. I'm taking the exam in September so I can't give any experience review or anything like that but from what I've gathered from people and the practice test, it's best to shape your point of view in most of the essay, and use the rest for the counter argument. They want to see your clear structure of the argument and why you have come to that conclusion.

But anyways, it's just what I have gathered and I could be wrong but hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ThaoTruong
I was having the same problem. I'm taking the exam in September so I can't give any experience review or anything like that but from what I've gathered from people and the practice test, it's best to shape your point of view in most of the essay, and use the rest for the counter argument. They want to see your clear structure of the argument and why you have come to that conclusion.

But anyways, it's just what I have gathered and I could be wrong but hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how are you structuring your essay? And what have you done so far to practice? I haven't really started yet...
If you do any essay subjects (eg. philosophy) at A-Level then it's really a similar structure.

I did the LNAT last year, and structured my essay merely as an argument, going from paragraphs for the statement to paragraphs against the statement.

As long as the essay flows, and allows for both your view and the opposing view to be presented, you really don't have anything to worry about.
Reply 4
Original post by Steph_EmmaH
If you do any essay subjects (eg. philosophy) at A-Level then it's really a similar structure.

I did the LNAT last year, and structured my essay merely as an argument, going from paragraphs for the statement to paragraphs against the statement.

As long as the essay flows, and allows for both your view and the opposing view to be presented, you really don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for the advice! Could I ask what mark you got for the LNAT? Also, how many points and counter-points should you make in the essay? Is it better to do more but briefly or less in more detail?
Original post by Quantaˌ
Thanks for the advice! Could I ask what mark you got for the LNAT? Also, how many points and counter-points should you make in the essay? Is it better to do more but briefly or less in more detail?

I got 26 for the multiple choice, where the average was 21 I think? It got me into Oxford, so something went right!

My advice would be to not stick to one set structure, be fluid with it and see where it takes you. But make sure you cover the opposing side, and don't just mention a point for the sake of it. I'd say that you should cover less (maybe 2 for/2 counter) than more for just the sake of it, and make sure you explain them and use them to back up your overall view.

Really just set up a good argument, go with the flow of the essay, make sure it reads well and you'll be fine.

This is only how I approached it though, I'm sure there are tons of people who did it differently and did just as well. Unis aren't expecting a certain type of essay, they're just looking at your ability to formulate an argument, and express your ideas in essay format.
Reply 6
Original post by Steph_EmmaH
I got 26 for the multiple choice, where the average was 21 I think? It got me into Oxford, so something went right!

My advice would be to not stick to one set structure, be fluid with it and see where it takes you. But make sure you cover the opposing side, and don't just mention a point for the sake of it. I'd say that you should cover less (maybe 2 for/2 counter) than more for just the sake of it, and make sure you explain them and use them to back up your overall view.

Really just set up a good argument, go with the flow of the essay, make sure it reads well and you'll be fine.

This is only how I approached it though, I'm sure there are tons of people who did it differently and did just as well. Unis aren't expecting a certain type of essay, they're just looking at your ability to formulate an argument, and express your ideas in essay format.

Thanks for the help! I just find having a strong structure helps in making my essay flow better. That's why I'm trying to get that right.

But, I was told not to make a balanced argument and focus more on one side. So, that's why I'm currently writing 3 points for and 1 point counter. Would this be fine? Or should I go with 2/2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending