The Student Room Group

bullying

Am a bit scared to start work. I have a monthly subscription to mps (and i know what it is) but i constantly read articles about bullying from seniors. I thought this stops in primary school?
Reply 1
Starting work is daunting for many reasons and it is perfectly normal to feel a bit apprehensive, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over the possibility of being bullied. I know it does happen, but I have worked in hospitals for 6 years now and have never seen it. Maybe I've just been fortunate.

If you are ever unlucky enough to be in a position where you feel bullied by a senior, this is not tolerated and there will be many people you can go to (educational and clinical supervisors, other consultants, ward sisters etc.) for help.
Reply 2
Original post by jennyrar
Am a bit scared to start work. I have a monthly subscription to mps (and i know what it is) but i constantly read articles about bullying from seniors. I thought this stops in primary school?

Did you not go to secondary school?!

Anyway, although bullying does happen in the NHS, perhaps more in some specialties than others, it's not enormously widespread. You will be expected to do your job, and may get told off if you do the wrong thing/don't do something, but actual personal intimidation/insults is pretty rare. There are supervision structures within all hospitals that you can report to if you are concerned, even though this might seem scary, it's not something you have to put up with.
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
Did you not go to secondary school?!

Anyway, although bullying does happen in thFACHS, perhaps more in some specialties than others, it's not enormously widespread. You will be expected to do your job, and may get told off if you do the wrong thing/don't do something, but actual personal intimidation/insults is pretty rare. There are supervision structures within all hospitals that you can report to if you are concerned, even though this might seem scary, it's not something you have to put up with.

I appreciate your response but i do findyour comments rude. I did go to secondary school where i did in fact get bullied. The reason why i mentioned primary school was simply to highlight that bullying is childish and pathetic.

As to my pens post you stated that carrying expensive pens is silly for the fy1. I have read previous posts where someone has claimed you belittle juniors. No i am not that man who wrote that but i am getting that impression from you.

I am sure you have been in our position and we are nervous. We all have different methods of coping and if carrying a 'flashy' pen helps with confidence, and essentially performing the job to the best of your ability, then i say why not.

Going back to this post doctors are humans we may make mistakes and while getting told off would be beneficial there are ways how to speak to colleagues.
I appreciate your response but i do findyour comments rude. I did go to secondary school where i did in fact get bullied. The reason why i mentioned primary school was simply to highlight that bullying is childish and pathetic.

As to my pens post you stated that carrying expensive pens is silly for the fy1. I have read previous posts where someone has claimed you belittle juniors. No i am not that man who wrote that but i am getting that impression from you.

I am sure you have been in our position and we are nervous. We all have different methods of coping and if carrying a 'flashy' pen helps with confidence, and essentially performing the job to the best of your ability, then i say why not.

Going back to this post doctors are humans we may make mistakes and while getting told off would be beneficial there are ways how to speak to colleagues.

If you're going to take offense at a comment that innocuous you might want to rethink whether you've actually been bullied or whether you're just a touch sensitive.

Regarding the topic, in my experience outright bullying is very unusual. You get demanding seniors and difficult colleagues from time to time, but proper bullying is rare. In my time at medical school i've only heard of one consultant who was bad enough to be disciplined for it, apparently she had some kind of issue with every male colleague she ever had.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Bullying is everywhere, people will always do it to show you they are above you and is fueled by either insecurity which everyone has or power which everyone strives to have and many go to these measures to show it.

Just befriend the people with the most power to avoid it.
I don't think Helenia meant any harm with the comment about expensive pens...

It's just that pens are very likely to get lost and that is more likely when you have tonnes of jobs to worry about (if not by you, then by people who borrow pens- I had to join a WR just to make sure I got my steth back and have lost biros in clinics because people just leave them somewhere). But if that's not an issue, then go ahead. I have seen f1s who use nice pens and they didn't seem to have a problem.

Tbh I've never really seen bullying on the wards- most senior doctors are nice people, they just get angry because certain things worry them more (or they have things to do like an afternoon clinic that finishes at 7 because it's overbooked) and at the end of the day, they will be held accountable. Some of them are intimidating to medical students/junior doctors but it doesn't seem to be personal.

If it is actually a personal thing though there are support structures available which you should use! You shouldn't be bullied! Good luck with your job...
Reply 7

Ah, when you said "it stops in primary school" I didn't realise you meant to say it should stop there (or ideally never get started) but as we all know unfortunately it doesn't - I had a pretty grim time at secondary school as well. But university and the workplace is generally vastly better than school.

Sorry if you took offence at my other post but I think that taking any small, highly portable, valuable items into hospital is silly. Maybe some people find it improves their performance enough to stick with it but I would just find it stressful and worry about losing it. I didn't mean to be belittling, just offering the voice of experience after too many years on wards!

Lol she didn't say anything offensive. No wonder you're scared of being bullied if you see negativity everywhere. How does having a flashy pen give you confidence? If just says you like material possessions. A pen is a pen.
It is understandable for someone who has been tormented and bullied throughout school to be overly sensitive. This is the normal reaction and it often stays long after any bullying.

The problem with 'bullying' is there is it a personal idea what constitutes bullying. I am a bit sensitive but it is doable. Thankfully it has improved but certainly in surgical or orthopaedics 'bullying' of juniors is pretty universal and the environment universally unsupportive.

In other places, acute and general medicine, you get supported but the jobs can be horrendously stressful and despite best intentions the supportive network for juniors on 4 month rotations is fragmented. But bullying is much much less common from seniors here.

Thankfully core training is better but foundation has many low points which is why many of us run away from hospital medicine into other fields, of which there are many. Best of luck x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Revenged

The problem with 'bullying' is there is it a personal idea what constitutes bullying. I am a bit sensitive but it is doable. Thankfully it has improved but certainly in surgical or orthopaedics 'bullying' of juniors is pretty universal and the environment universally unsupportive.

I don't know where you've been working, but this is not the case in any of the hospitals i've worked in whatsoever. The surgical departments at my current hospital are all extremely supportive.
Reply 11
Original post by hoonosewot
I don't know where you've been working, but this is not the case in any of the hospitals i've worked in whatsoever. The surgical departments at my current hospital are all extremely supportive.

This was my experience too. When I was an F1 my surgical seniors had my back completely. This is because its people dependent, tarring a whole specialty with the same brush isn't helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending