The Student Room Group

Confused with BTEC level 3

Hi

i applied for BTEC LEVEL 3 EXTENDED in game development.

I got the grades that were needed to enroll and I enrolled.

the only problem is my college enrolled me for BTEC LEVEL 3 90 credit (1 year)
Does this mean I won't be doing Level 3 extended?
(edited 9 years ago)
Colleges enrol students for the 90 credit diploma if they are uncertain they'll complete both years, this way any students who leave in the first year can be provided with some certificate/qualifications. In your second year, your first years work will be combined with the work you submit in your second year to form your extended diploma.

You'll do 9 units each year and at the end they'll combine for your extended diploma.
Reply 2
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Colleges enrol students for the 90 credit diploma if they are uncertain they'll complete both years, this way any students who leave in the first year can be provided with some certificate/qualifications. In your second year, your first years work will be combined with the work you submit in your second year to form your extended diploma.

You'll do 9 units each year and at the end they'll combine for your extended diploma.

Ah right thanks for clearing that up
So will college enrol me for another 90 credit diploma next year to make a total of 180 credits, which is a extended diploma if I'm correct?
Original post by HTECH
Ah right thanks for clearing that up
So will college enrol me for another 90 credit diploma next year to make a total of 180 credits, which is a extended diploma if I'm correct?

No, the extended diploma is 180 credits but you won't have two of the same diploma. Your coursework gets combined to form the extended diploma, so your previous 90 credit diploma becomes void.
Reply 4
Original post by mynameisntdoug
No, the extended diploma is 180 credits but you won't have two of the same diploma. Your coursework gets combined to form the extended diploma, so your previous 90 credit diploma becomes void.

Now I'm confused,

So a BTEC Level 3 Extended is a different course and by me doing a Level 3 90 Credit course will just result in a normal level 3?
Reply 5
90 credit and extended dip are 2 different courses.

You will do a 90 credit course in your 1st year. In your second year, you will do a further 90 credits to top up to an extended diploma should you pass the 1st year. Colleges commonly do this to bump up their pass rate because people leave after the first year to do apprenticeships
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HTECH
Now I'm confused,

So a BTEC Level 3 Extended is a different course and by me doing a Level 3 90 Credit course will just result in a normal level 3?

Year 1: 90 Credit Diploma (9 units)
Year 2: Extended Diploma (18 units; 9 dragged over from the last year and 9 new units)

It's not a different course, it might be called that for Year 2 by your college but it doesn't really matter. You still need to complete year 1 before you can do year 2.
Reply 7
If i was doing a normal Level 3 diploma , how would that work as the course is two years as well?
Reply 8
Original post by HTECH
If i was doing a normal Level 3 diploma , how would that work as the course is two years as well?

If it's 2 years, it's an Extended Diploma.
I did level 3 engineering at Bromley college. The first year was level 3 90 credit, which I got a certificate for months after completing the first year. Then, I did level 3 extended and got a certificate for it too, months after completing the course. The level 3 90-credit and extended certificates showed my final grades and what I got for each module from both years.
Original post by HTECH
Hi

i applied for BTEC LEVEL 3 EXTENDED in game development.

I got the grades that were needed to enroll and I enrolled.

the only problem is my college enrolled me for BTEC LEVEL 3 90 credit (1 year)
Does this mean I won't be doing Level 3 extended?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_and_Technology_Education_Council

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending