The Student Room Group

How effective is this schedule/approach to a-level revision

http://wrttn.in/f31429

I came across it on a thread a while back and am now contemplating if I should adopt it next year?
NEVER EVER talk to fellow classmates except when necessary

Seems like a way for people to quickly identify you as weird
Reply 2
It looks dangerous, to be perfectly honest. If you're starting ASs then you'd burn out in a couple of weeks.

I'd recommend shifting a lot of heavy work from the first part of that page (apparently assigned for each evening) to the weekend. And even then, things like the specification, you should only be concerned about in the weeks running upto exam time.
Reply 3
Original post by manchesterunited15
Seems like a way for people to quickly identify you as weird

Lol some parts I dont agree with
Sounds like a perfect recipe for a chronic burn out before you're midway through A Levels.

Your "motivation" doesn't sound particularly healthy, either.
You should do really, really well if you study like that and are able to keep it going throughout the whole of the 2 years. Don't work too hard though, there's no point in pushing too hard because you'll peak too soon. A levels are hard, but not hard enough to warrant completely voiding your social life for 2 years. Very few people I know did that, and the ones that did are quite...odd. :L I went out drinking almost every Friday, sailed most weekends and played plenty of Xbox, I still managed fine.

If you're following a very structured, intense, thorough schedule like this one, it can be very easy to sort of kid yourself into thinking it's going great when realistically you could be doing things differently and getting a better result. Make sure you're always honest with yourself about how you're doing. I fell into this trap when doing my A levels for a little while, luckily it wasn't during exam time so I had ample time to fix it. It's worth bearing in mind.

EDIT; change the bit about how you behave in class, it's antisocial, rude, and it's going to make it really hard to enjoy college. I chatted, messed around etc in a fair few of my classes, it made college way more fun and it didn't stop me learning either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dash52

I came across it on a thread a while back and am now contemplating if I should adopt it next year?

If you have to work that hard to get good grades at A level then you're really not cut out for a future in anything academic or even moderately intensive.
I'd say it's unnecessary, people get A*A*A* and don't work that hard haha... its a bit over the top.
Reply 8
Original post by bad_moose
You should do really, really well if you study like that and are able to keep it going throughout the whole of the 2 years. Don't work too hard though, there's no point in pushing too hard because you'll peak too soon. A levels are hard, but not hard enough to warrant completely voiding your social life for 2 years. Very few people I know did that, and the ones that did are quite...odd. :L I went out drinking almost every Friday, sailed most weekends and played plenty of Xbox, I still managed fine.

If you're following a very structured, intense, thorough schedule like this one, it can be very easy to sort of kid yourself into thinking it's going great when realistically you could be doing things differently and getting a better result. Make sure you're always honest with yourself about how you're doing. I fell into this trap when doing my A levels for a little while, luckily it wasn't during exam time so I had ample time to fix it. It's worth bearing in mind.

EDIT; change the bit about how you behave in class, it's antisocial, rude, and it's going to make it really hard to enjoy college. I chatted, messed around etc in a fair few of my classes, it made college way more fun and it didn't stop me learning either.

Original post by mackemforever
If you have to work that hard to get good grades at A level then you're really not cut out for a future in anything academic or even moderately intensive.

I didn't make this; I probably don't have the motivation to follow such a strict schedule anyway. After coming to the realization that this is a bit extreme, do you have any alternatives?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dash52
I didn't make this; I probably don't have the motivation to follow such a strict schedule anyway. After coming to the realization that this is a bit extreme, do you have any alternatives?

Just a less extreme version of what you originally showed us. :smile:

Turn up to your classes, take notes, listen when it's necessary, get to know your classmates, go over all the stuff you've learned each day when you get home and get your work done on time. Make plenty of time for fun stuff to make life vaguely worth living. Start revising 2-3 months before exams, kick off with a bit of light reading each day, and gradually build it up to longer study sessions (that way you should avoid the lovely all day all night sessions that often go on in the days before exams...). Do revision in short but regular bursts.

It's just organisation really, make a plan and try to stick to it. If you try and cram too much into too little time then it's just going to be **** for you. Good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dash52

Yeah I do have a suggestion, and it's very simple, can be summed up in one word.

Relax

Don't bother with revising right from day 1, don't bother doing a huge amount of work outside of school. Just pay attention in lessons, keep up to date with the work they set you, and make sure that in the final month before any exams you get yourself organised and make the most of your revision time.
Original post by dash52

I don't think it's that bad to be honest. Obviously things like not talking to anybody are a bit extreme but if you want to do really well then I believe a strong focus is imperative.

Things like this are so subjective though. For example, I will have to work harder than the average A-level student because, put simply, I'm basically a moron with an incredible work ethic. Others with genuine talent will not have work anywhere near as hard as myself and will achieve the same if not better grades.

You just have to know yourself and what you're capable of and adjust accordingly.

IMO.
my idea is just go over class work from the start.
When I come home I will do an hour and a half each day from the start??
Is that ok??
Original post by Marcusroye98
my idea is just go over class work from the start.
When I come home I will do an hour and a half each day from the start??
Is that ok??

To be honest 1.5hr every day is more what you work yourself up to, not what you start off with.

At the beginning just make sure you understand everything that's being said and go over the work you're already doing. Then as you go along, the work will naturally pile up and you'll eventually get to 1.5hr every evening or maybe more.
Reply 14
My need for wanting to do better stems from my gcse's falling slightly below my expectations and slowly crushing my aspirations of doing medicine. I got 5A's and 3B's and that was a wake up call almost. The B's in biology, physics and eng lit(2 off sent for remark) are disheartening as I tried the hardest in sciences and English literature.

Quick Reply

Latest