The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results good enough for medicine?

I achieved:

A* Biology
A* Chemistry
A Physics
A Economics
A Religious studies
A citizenship
B Maths
C English language
C English literature
C Geography
D French
D ICT

I've always wanted to study medicine but i haven't done as well as i hoped at GCSE(reforms/changes made the harder), if i were to do well at a Level (AAA/ABB) would medicine be an option?
Reply 1
Some Medical schools only accept if you have at least B Maths/English Language
They seem like pretty good grades. The main thing is that you got good grades in your sciences and a fair amount of A-A*. However, it depends what university you go to in terms of if they really scrutinise gcse grades or not. Just make sure you choose reasonably A-levels. Chemistry A-level is ESSENTIAL if you want to get into a medicine course at university. You must make sure you are on the A-A* border at A-level as well. So it really does count mainly how you do at A-levels, GCSE's not so much.
I have been told that you are pretty much out of luck without A*AA at A Levels and you need a string of at least 6 GCSEs at A* to be competitive with the huge numbers that now want a place in medicine. Frankly, you really need to look at your academic strength against your peer group: you need to be in the top 10%. This comes directly from a special lead teacher at our school who gets nearly 100% admittance to medical schools --- these students have a lot of prep to get through the interviews and all the tests and other hurdles that form another major challenge to getting in.

Saying that, it is still worth going for it if this is your heart's desire. If you don't get into medical school you'll still have great options open for other science oriented careers.
Original post by studioussam
I achieved:

A* Biology
A* Chemistry
A Physics
A Economics
A Religious studies
A citizenship
B Maths
C English language
C English literature
C Geography
D French
D ICT

I've always wanted to study medicine but i haven't done as well as i hoped at GCSE(reforms/changes made the harder), if i were to do well at a Level (AAA/ABB) would medicine be an option?

Moved to Medicine forum :smile:
Reply 5
I achieved:

A* Biology
A* Chemistry
A Physics
A Economics
A Religious studies
A citizenship
B Maths
C English language
C English literature
C Geography
D French
D ICT

You would need to apply carefully if you pursue medicine. There is one problem with your grades which will limit your choice of medical school; your grade C in english language. I would consider resitting this in November 2014. Not many will accept a C in this subject since most require a minimum grade B. You would then need too achieve AAA at A2 to even be considered by a medical school.

I would possibly resit maths in November 2014 to make your application even stronger.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Reply 6
I achieved:

A* Biology
A* Chemistry
A Physics
A Economics
A Religious studies
A citizenship
B Maths
C English language
C English literature
C Geography
D French
D ICT

Right it is doable but you'll have to pick unis very carefully!
You should resit at least one English gcse probably language is better and get at least a B.
At a level It must.be AAA ABB would not be good enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending