The Student Room Group

A Level time management **Help**

I'll try to keep this to the point.

So i'm starting AS this year and I'm worried about time management. I go to school at 8am and get back home at 5pm. I'm studying Physics, Spanish, Maths, Further Maths and Business Studies (although I'll probably drop that). On top of that, since I'm Spanish I also have to do the Spanish Curriculum, which is 7 hours a week (+ homework and revision). I also do 8 hours a week of karate and 2 of art. I'd also like to keep going to the gym, at least twice a week. But I just can't see it working. Is it manageable? Any advice from experienced (or not so experienced) students?

PD: How many hours a week am I supposed to revise and do homework for my A Levels?
(edited 9 years ago)
I recommend 1 hour outside of class for every hour spent in class as a general rule of thumb. However you allocate the hours per week, you can fit around your own schedule. Get a week planner online and note down all your commitments, and work around them. As long as you can stick to it.
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
I recommend 1 hour outside of class for every hour spent in class as a general rule of thumb. However you allocate the hours per week, you can fit around your own schedule. Get a week planner online and note down all your commitments, and work around them. As long as you can stick to it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably en up having to do all of the work in my free periods + weekend. Goodbye to my social life:frown:.
As long as you keep focused, it will be doable. Speaking as someone who was performing 4 shows per week for a combined 12 weeks of my AS year (with rehearsals throughout the year), and went on to get 4 As at AS, you just need to stay calm and work away at your subjects. Start revision as early as possible - 3/4 hours of extra work (including homework) for each subject should be sufficient if you're working throughout the year (although when it comes to actual exam period, you'll want to significantly increase this). If flashcards help, make them and always carry a set with you, and test yourself on the bus home. Make a revision timetable (I used getrevising for this) and stick to it. If you get frees, make use of them, because they significantly reduce how much you need to work at home. If you need any more help, I'm more than happy to lend a hand!
Reply 4
Original post by Heisenberg97
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably en up having to do all of the work in my free periods + weekend. Goodbye to my social life:frown:.

Why do you have to do the Spanish work if you already know the language? I am fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and i am doing both A levels but only sitting the exams I dont have to go to any lesson do hw etc.. Obvs I look at the syllabus and revise like a week before the exam

Just a matter of prioritising. Plenty of time to have a social life at university, don't worry. :biggrin:
Original post by arami
Why do you have to do the Spanish work if you already know the language? I am fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and i am doing both A levels but only sitting the exams I dont have to go to any lesson do hw etc.. Obvs I look at the syllabus and revise like a week before the exam

No nos preparamos sólo para el A Level, sino que hacemos Lengua y Literatura (para poder hacer selectividad) y de paso hacemos el A Level, ya que es una calificación muy fácil para nosotros. Así que de 6 horas a la semana de Lengua, 2 son Spanish A2 para poder prepararnos para el exámen (lo hacemos en sólo un año).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
No nos preparamos sólo para el A Level, sino que hacemos Lengua y Literatura (para poder hacer selectividad) y de paso hacemos el A Level, ya que es una calificación muy fácil para nosotros. Así que de 6 horas a la semana de Lengua, 2 son Spanish A2 para poder prepararnos para el exámen (lo hacemos en sólo un año).

Ah y la selectividad es de bachillerato no? ah bueno yo en mi caso no estudie nada solo mire el esquema de estudio para saber de que se iba a tratar el examen. bueno suerte!! :wink::wink:
Original post by arami
Ah y la selectividad es de bachillerato no? ah bueno yo en mi caso no estudie nada solo mire el esquema de estudio para saber de que se iba a tratar el examen. bueno suerte!! :wink::wink:

Si jaja ojalá hubiera tenido esa opción pero en mi colegio nos obligan a hacer bachillerato entero, inculso fase epecífica -.- gracias!
bump
bump

Quick Reply

Latest