The Student Room Group

GCSE dentistry dilemma

Hey guys, I was wondering if my GCSE grades are sufficient enough for dentistry. I have received
6A*s in:
English Literature
English Language
Chemistry
Sociology
R.E
History
3A's in:
Physics
French
Punjabi
2B's in:
Maths
Biology
I would highly appreciate any sort of advice and feedback :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nb931
Hey guys, I was wondering if my GCSE grades are sufficient enough for dentistry. I have received
6A*s in:
English Literature
English Language
Chemistry
Sociology
R.E
History
3A's in:
Physics
French
Punjabi
2B's in:
Maths
Biology
I would highly appreciate any sort of advice and feedback :smile:

Your GCSE's are great BUT some dental schools require grade A maths - the link below will help but Cardiff now require grade As in maths English and science http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements
Also you will probably need to work hard at Biology to get your grade B at GCSE to grade A at A2
Reply 2
Original post by lois griffin
Your GCSE's are great BUT some dental schools require grade A maths - the link below will help but Cardiff now require grade As in maths English and science http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements
Also you will probably need to work hard at Biology to get your grade B at GCSE to grade A at A2

Do you think it's worth redoing biology?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nb931
Do you think it's worth redoing biology?

YES
because if you don't, you will half the number of unis you can apply to. Think you need A grade Biology for 7 of the 14 UK dental schools. (Might be worth double checking the actual University web sites, though.) If you want to study in England your options will be further limited.
It's a good idea to keep all your options open e.g. if you get a disappointing UKCAT score and consequently want to apply to unis that don't require the UKCAT, then 2 of the 4 non-UKCAT unis require A/A* GCSE biology.
It's such a shame that you got the B in Biology when clearly you are academically capable and have so many A*'s..... the positive thing about re-sitting Biology is that it could help you in your AS studies as you will be reinforcing your base knowledge.
Reply 4
Original post by lois griffin
YES
because if you don't, you will half the number of unis you can apply to. Think you need A grade Biology for 7 of the 14 UK dental schools. (Might be worth double checking the actual University web sites, though.) If you want to study in England your options will be further limited.
It's a good idea to keep all your options open e.g. if you get a disappointing UKCAT score and consequently want to apply to unis that don't require the UKCAT, then 2 of the 4 non-UKCAT unis require A/A* GCSE biology.
It's such a shame that you got the B in Biology when clearly you are academically capable and have so many A*'s..... the positive thing about re-sitting Biology is that it could help you in your AS studies as you will be reinforcing your base knowledge.

Do most dental schools not ignore your retake grade and just take your first grade into consideration? If that happens to be the case, I wouldn't recommend retaking.
Original post by ReneéL
Do most dental schools not ignore your retake grade and just take your first grade into consideration? If that happens to be the case, I wouldn't recommend retaking.

Good point!
Might be worth OP contacting Dental schools directly. When both original grade and resit grade are disclosed on UCAS, I think that admission officers should be sympathetic as this result would appear to be a blip given otherwise strong results.

Quick Reply

Latest