The Student Room Group

A levels help!

I've just begun sixth form and I've chosen Bio,chem,physics and maths all of which I achieved A* at gcse. However, my teachers say people have gotten A*s at GCSEs and C,D,Es at A Level. Also, the subjects I've chosen are apparently very hard. Can I have honest opinions on the level of difficulty of these subjects, I know it's subjective and can people tell me how to achieve A* as this is what I want. Also, can I have some study guides recommendations, preferably CGP as I'm not too sure on the syllabus, all subjects are Edexcel. I don't really know about maths, there's C1, C2, C3, S1 and it's a bit confusing so if someone could explain the syllabus that would be helpful. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Year11guy
I've just begun sixth form and I've chosen Bio,chem,physics and maths all of which I achieved A* at gcse. However, my teachers say people have gotten A*s at GCSEs and C,D,Es at A Level. Also, the subjects I've chosen are apparently very hard. Can I have honest opinions on the level of difficulty of these subjects, I know it's subjective and can people tell me how to achieve A* as this is what I want. Also, can I have some study guides recommendations, preferably CGP as I'm not too sure on the syllabus, all subjects are Edexcel. I don't really know about maths, there's C1, C2, C3, S1 and it's a bit confusing so if someone could explain the syllabus that would be helpful. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

First off, it's impossible to get an A* in your AS. They're not too difficult, as long as you work outside of lessons for them, making sure you understand everything you learn first time. That way, when you go back to revise it, you won't be learning new things; this applies especially to the Science subjects. In terms of Maths, you've just got to keep on practicing questions in the books/past papers. I strongly recommend you to stick with the core textbooks for the subjects; they're written by the examiners who write your exams, and therefore contain everything you need to know. Make notes from these.

Maths AS-Level consists of: C1, C2 and S1/D1/M1. The A2 would be C3, C4 and one other application module combination i.e.if you did S1 at AS, you could do S2/D1/M1. Hope this was useful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
First off, in AS it's impossible to get an A* in your AS. They're not too difficult, as long as you work outside of lessons for them, making sure you understand everything you learn first time. That way, when you go back to revise it, you won't be learning new things; this applies especially to the Science subjects. In terms of Maths, you've just got to keep on practicing questions in the books/past papers. I strongly recommend you to stick with the core textbooks for the subjects; they're written by the examiners who write your exams, and therefore contain everything you need to know. Make notes from these.

Maths AS-Level consists of: C1, C2 and S1/D1/M1. The A2 would be C3, C4 and one other application module combination i.e.if you did S1 at AS, you could do S2/D1/M1. Hope this was useful.

Is it easier to get an A considering there's no A*? Also, I took Additional Maths as a FSMQ, is that enough to bridge the gap between GCSE and A level, making it less of a jump?
Is it easier to get an A considering there's no A*? Also, I took Additional Maths as a FSMQ, is that enough to bridge the gap between GCSE and A level, making it less of a jump?

Whilst you can't technically get an A*, this doesn't make getting an A any easier. For an A, you still need an average of 80% across C1/C2/S1 in terms of UMS. As for the Additional Maths FSMQ, I personally think it may give you an advantage for C1, which isn't particularly difficult anyway. Give it a month or so, and see how you feel. If you have any more questions regarding Maths, feel free to PM me.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Whilst you can't technically get an A*, this doesn't make getting an A any easier. For an A, you still need an average of 80% across C1/C2/S1 in terms of UMS. As for the Additional Maths FSMQ, I personally think it may give you an advantage for C1, which isn't particularly difficult anyway. Give it a month or so, and see how you feel. If you have any more questions regarding Maths, feel free to PM me.

Thank you, I'm much more clear about this now. As for the sciences, do you have any idea on how they are? difficulty wise?
Reply 5

I did C1 and C2 well. I got B for both. Use the edexcel text book and do lots of past papers
Reply 6

I did C1 and C2 well. I got B for both. Use the edexcel text book and do lots of past papers.
tbh physics made me feel sick as the paper was very hard for me but, there are those who achieved great results for it..so if you are clever and studied hard then great!
Thank you, I'm much more clear about this now. As for the sciences, do you have any idea on how they are? difficulty wise?

Personally, I only took Biology out of the three; it involves learning a large volume of information and being able to apply this to different scenarios, in an aspect called 'How Science Works'. It's a question you'll find towards the end of the paper. It's not too difficult at AS, I just didn't do much work at A2 and ended up with a B. Not sure about the other two sciences. Also, if you're doing AQA, bear in mind that the specification will be changing from next year for all three sciences (have a look on the AQA website).

Hey, I'm doing the same AS as you!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by happysmile
Hey, I'm doing the same AS as you!! :biggrin:

lol
Reply 10

For biology, I highly advise you to buy the CGP revision book as it just summarises the info from the Edexcel textbook.
Reply 11
Original post by N.Choi
For biology, I highly advise you to buy the CGP revision book as it just summarises the info from the Edexcel textbook.

Can you give me a link to it as there are more than one. Is it a detailed summary?
Reply 12
Can you give me a link to it as there are more than one. Is it a detailed summary?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Biology-Complete-Revision-Practice/dp/1847621201/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=9781847621207

ISBN 9781847621207

I got A*s at GCSE, picked those subjects. Ended up not studying because I changed my mind about which career I want and got BBCC.

Basically I did the yolo strategy of just revising the night + morning before each exam like I did at GCSE. But Alevel is a bit more difficult. Unless you're a genius you actually have to revise quite regularly to get A/A*
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
In what way is it more difficult than GCSE? Is there more content in these subjects than their GCSE counterparts?
I got A* in all those subjects and ended up with BCEE, I just didn't know how to study or revise effectively.

There is a lot more content in much more detail. The exam mark schemes are more strict as to what they will allow so in theory you could explain something correctly but without using certain words or phrases, you will get 0 marks.

Just revise as you go along, try lots of revision methods and memorise key terms. Make a glossary. Maths is just constant practice really, the questions are basically the same but tweaked a little each year. Do all the past papers.

Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by pamplemousse1
I got A* in all those subjects and ended up with BCEE, I just didn't know how to study or revise effectively.

There is a lot more content in much more detail. The exam mark schemes are more strict as to what they will allow so in theory you could explain something correctly but without using certain words or phrases, you will get 0 marks.

Just revise as you go along, try lots of revision methods and memorise key terms. Make a glossary. Maths is just constant practice really, the questions are basically the same but tweaked a little each year. Do all the past papers.

Good luck!

How often did you revise?
i chose all those subjects apart from physics oh and my maths exam board was also edexcel

From my experience I got an A* in all those subjects at GCSE too but GCSE's are nothing compared to a levels.

I got all A's for my AS but purely because i practised and revised really hard and you will need to do the same.

All i will say is if you got good GCSE's it dont mean your gonna get good a levels but if you work hard then that is the only way you will get an A.

Good Luck If you have any more questions you can ask me x
How often did you revise?

I didn't revise much at the start of the year, I messed about in all my frees. I was doing about 5 hours per subject per week outside of lessons from about march onwards
Reply 19
In maths, there are different modules like C1,C2 etc. How will I be examined? Is it just one end exam like GCSE Maths with all the different sections scattered in there? Also, is C1 the easiest, as I'm finding it very easy at the moment, which doesn't fit with all the stories about how A Levels are so hard I've heard.

Quick Reply

Latest