English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Considering the secondary school I went to these were very good

and for my AS levels I got (UMS marks):
Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)
Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!
General Studies - A (166/200)

My initial A-level predictions were: AABA in the same order as above... but I believe that with my results I could get them improved to: A*A*AA

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford. Failing that something science based.

I am considering continuing all four A-levels or dropping Chemistry to pick up AS Further Maths or just doing 3 A-levels and dropping Chemistry

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol (would be likely to get contextual offer at Bristol of AAB) or any other good uni.

Any advice or similar experience would be welcome!
Original post by raymondrayz
Ok, so I have decent GCSE results;
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)
Chemistry - B (239/300) 1 mark away from an A, going to get it remarked with hopefully an A!

My initial A-level predictions were: AABA in the same order as above... but I believe that with my results I could get them improved to: A*A*AA

I primarily would want to do Economics at Cambridge... but have been told I would be better suited to Econ and Management at Oxford. Failing that something science based.

I am considering continuing all four A-levels or dropping Chemistry to pick up AS Further Maths or just doing 3 A-levels and dropping Chemistry

I need advice on what my chances are on getting into an Oxbridge uni to do Econ or LSE, Warwick, Bristol (would be likely to get contextual offer at Bristol of AAB) or any other good uni.

If you want to do econ at cambridge or lse your best bet is to pick up further maths AS and if you were to do that if advise dropping chemistry so you don't overload yourself

Although both cambridge and lse will look at your ums and your average (about 87% if I worked that out correctly) is a bit below average so that's something to consider

However at the other unis you mentioned I think you'd have a good shot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by NinjaPandaa
If you want to do econ at cambridge or lse your best bet is to pick up further maths AS and if you were to do that if advise dropping chemistry so you don't overload yourself

Although both cambridge and lse will look at your ums and your average (about 87% if I worked that out correctly) is a bit below average so that's something to consider

However at the other unis you mentioned I think you'd have a good shot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for the advice! Also regarding the AS FM, its not offered in my sixth form, so I wouldn't be able to get a predicted grade as I would be taking it independently.. would that reduce my chances even more?
Thanks a lot for the advice! Also regarding the AS FM, its not offered in my sixth form, so I wouldn't be able to get a predicted grade as I would be taking it independently.. would that reduce my chances even more?

Erm couldn't your school do you a predicted grade based on your maths? Depending on which applied modules you picked further maths AS isn't much harder than normal maths so I don't see why your school couldn't look at it like that? I'm pretty sure you have to have a predicted grade for all subjects you do though, maybe speak to your head of sixth form sometime this week or another teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Erm couldn't your school do you a predicted grade based on your maths? Depending on which applied modules you picked further maths AS isn't much harder than normal maths so I don't see why your school couldn't look at it like that? I'm pretty sure you have to have a predicted grade for all subjects you do though, maybe speak to your head of sixth form sometime this week or another teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm I'll check with my head of maths this Monday, I did C1, C2, and S1 this year... going to do C3, C4 and M1 for A-level maths and planning to do FP1, D1 and S2 for AS Further maths
Erm I'll check with my head of maths this Monday, I did C1, C2, and S1 this year... going to do C3, C4 and M1 for A-level maths and planning to do FP1, D1 and S2 for AS Further maths

Yeah that shouldn't be too difficult d1 isn't too hard so I can't see why they wouldn't predict you an A for AS further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah that shouldn't be too difficult d1 isn't too hard so I can't see why they wouldn't predict you an A for AS further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, btw are you speaking from personal experience?
Thanks, btw are you speaking from personal experience?

Yep I did d1 last year (I'm year 13 this year) and it's absolutely fine and on all the other things I've done a lot of research into unis and been told a lot of stuff so I'm confident on what I've said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yep I did d1 last year (I'm year 13 this year) and it's absolutely fine and on all the other things I've done a lot of research into unis and been told a lot of stuff so I'm confident on what I've said :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you planning to do an Econ degree aswell?
are you planning to do an Econ degree aswell?

Yeup :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you planning to apply to?
Ok, so I have decent GCSE results;
Maths - A*
Statistics - A*
Triple Science - A*A*A*
French - A
Geography - A
R.E - A
ICT - Me
English Lang - B
English Lit - B
German - B

Maths - A (283/300)
Biology - A (283/300)
Economics - A (161/200)

You'd struggle to get an interview at Cambridge, let alone an offer.

Oxford might be the better option, although you might be rejected for interview due to low % A* at GCSE.
Original post by Mike_123
You'd struggle to get an interview at Cambridge, let alone an offer.

Oxford might be the better option, although you might be rejected for interview due to low % A* at GCSE.

Thanks for the advice, what's the average % A* for an oxford interviewee?
Thanks for the advice, what's the average % A* for an oxford interviewee?

I don't have the figures. Oxford medicine is something like 91% for offer holders, and E&M is statistically more competitive than medicine at Oxford, so it would be the same or higher than that. I still think you have a better chance of an offer at Oxford than Cambridge, though.
I don't have the figures. Oxford medicine is something like 91% for offer holders, and E&M is statistically more competitive than medicine at Oxford, so it would be the same or higher than that. I still think you have a better chance of an offer at Oxford than Cambridge, though.

Sorry for sounding oblivious, but why?
Also what A2/AS mixture of subjects would be best for me?
Sorry for sounding oblivious, but why?

I think if you're under a 90 average, you might not be called for interview, and even if you do, you will still be dragged down by your UMS. The average successful applicant will have around an average of 95+. Oxford don't look at UMS and more so at entrance exams and interviews, so you still stand a chance there. However, they also look at GCSEs which probably won't work in your favour.

Also what A2/AS mixture of subjects would be best for me?

If it's economics, then double maths and economics and history/any other.
I've got a 90 avg for my top 3/ most relevant subjects. Do you think they'll put my grades into context considering my school isn't very good?

And I mean in regards to the subjects I currently do? As I can pick up further maths and drop one of my subjects? Or just continue with all four A2 subjects? Or go down to 3 A2 subjects
I don't have the figures. Oxford medicine is something like 91% for offer holders,

95% :wink: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

and E&M is statistically more competitive than medicine at Oxford, so it would be the same or higher than that. I still think you have a better chance of an offer at Oxford than Cambridge, though.

E&M has loads of applicants per place but is notorious for attracting unrealistic,unqualified applicants.

I can't find it right now but there is a presentation around that shows the average applicant's GCSEs by subject and E&M is a lot lower than medicine. I suspect the average for acceptance is high, but lower than 95%.

Interestingly Classics was the highest.
Original post by nexttime
95% :wink: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

E&M has loads of applicants per place but is notorious for attracting unrealistic,unqualified applicants.

I can't find it right now but there is a presentation around that shows the average applicant's GCSEs by subject and E&M is a lot lower than medicine. I suspect the average for acceptance is high, but lower than 95%.

Interestingly Classics was the highest.

do you think it would be unrealistic for me to apply to Oxbridge to do medicine or economics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending