The Student Room Group

Should Cameron quit if Scotland votes yes?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Why would he need to?

He followed a democratic principal and supported the referendum happening.

This is for Scotland to decide.

HMG has given the facts as they see it. The SNP have given out hollow promises that can't be delivered.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why would he need to?

HMG has given the facts as they see it. The SNP have given out hollow promises that can't be delivered.

Well, I agree with you. But according to Sky News, a poll in a newspaper today (not sure which one) claimed that a significant amount think that he should quit if they do vote yes, as they consider him partly responsible for the support the Yes campaign have garnered in recent months.
Some journalists (people like Isabel Oakeshott who is a Tory supporter) have even suggested that Cameron will be too embarrassed to continue in his position if Scotland votes to leave the Union.
Reply 4
Original post by Argentinababy
Discuss.

The fact that he stands the best chance of winning in 2015 plus the fact he gave Labour control of the campaign means he won't... With that being said though it would harm my opinion of him even if I'll vote in 2015.

Well, I agree with you. But according to Sky News, a poll in a newspaper today (not sure which one) claimed that a significant amount think that he should quit if they do vote yes, as they consider him partly responsible for the support the Yes campaign have garnered in recent months.

That would mostly be the 60% of people who don't vote Tory.
No if Scotland leave it is the greatest thing Cameron has done for England as PM.
Reply 6
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why would he need to?

As the chap who leads the 'Conservative and Unionist Party' (usually shortened to Conservative Party, or informally as the Tory Party) to be helm when the union is broken, he'd be responsible for letting one of the main tenents of the party go.

--------------
Yes he should, if for no other reason than to jump before a vote of confidence was held that he'd almost certainly lose.

There's similar polls showing that a currency union will happen. There's hidden oil reserves that are being kept quiet. Polls don't really give the true picture of realityp
Reply 8
Only if Salmond quits if he loses.

But he's too much of an egomaniac to ever agree to.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
Only if Salmond quits if he loses.

But he's too much of an egomaniac to ever agree to.

Salmond has already won tbh.
Original post by Quady
Salmond has already won tbh.

Nah

Scots aren't that stupid
Reply 11
Original post by StrangeBanana
Nah

Scots aren't that stupid

Scots dont seem to be getting a choice. Devo max is being pushed through even without Salmond having to ask (again) for it to be voted on.
No but I think he maybe forced out by the 1922 backbench committee. To be fair, Salmond's played a wicked game.
I'm not sure but I would love Scotland to leave the UK just to get the reactions of pro-union high ranking politicians.
I don't see why he should be singled out. Everyone in the 'No' camp has been awful. They've all miscalculated by thinking that they should avoid scary truths and have tried to sway Scots on emotion. And they've all been unwilling to change course. The fact is, people in Westminster were never going to win over potential Scottish nationalists based on emotion, so the tactic should have been opposite.

They should have just come out and said:

"Scotland has the right to be independent but negotiations on independence will need to satisfy the remaining UK. We will not maintain a currency union, Scotland will accept 10% of our debt, the rUK will continue to receive a share of tax revenue from currently-producing wells, no military assets will be shared, the nuclear deterrent will have 10 years to move. Scotland will have the choice of accepting these terms or not having independence."

Instead, they've said absolutely nothing about what life after a Yes vote would be like. This has allowed Alex Salmond to just make it up, and they've refused to counter any of his dreamworld assertions because they're too scared of being accused of 'scaremongering'. He's said over and over that 'if you don't give us the pound, we won't take any of the debt'; the response has been 'the markets won't like you if you do that'. What? The response should have been 'if that's your position in negotiations then independence won't happen.'

It is unbelievable that these supposedly talented politicians have been so, so bad for 2 straight years at this.

Original post by meenu89
No but I think he maybe forced out by the 1922 backbench committee. To be fair, Salmond's played a wicked game.

His game only works because the majority of people are so, so stupid.

Anyone capable of a moment's objective, rational thought can see that everything he says is rubbish. It's infuriating.
Original post by meenu89

He could do a Major. Since neither Gove nor May would move against him I'm relatively confident he'd win.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Nah

Scots aren't that stupid

Not to be hating on my own country here, but have you seen the shear amount of yes posters stuck to windows?

I'd like to think Scots aren't that stupid, but the blind faith to Yes Scotland (for God knows what reason) is scary
Reply 17
The main reason for the No campaign's struggles is the fact that it is run by Westminster hacks (Darling, Brown etc) who have lived in the bubble for the past 20-30 years. Salmond has led the SNP for 20 years (in two separate spells) and thus knows Scotland inside out.
Reply 18
I don't think he's under any obligation to. He'd like Scotland to stay, but in the same way that he'd like London to vote Tory, and just because they don't want him as PM doesn't mean he should quit. Losing traditional Tory voters to UKIP is more of a mark on him, not having traditional non-Tories continuing being non-Tory.
There would be no need to. It wouldn't have been his fault that Scotland decided to go its own way.

But it won't be surprising if his party (The Conservative and UNIONIST Party) decides he is a failure and kicks him out. Personally I won't mind the latter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending