The Student Room Group

Is a student bank account essiential?

I already have a bank account, which is the same one since I had when I was 16. Obviously all these student bank accounts offer great interest free overdrafts and freebies but is it a necessity? So far, I've never gone into overdraft for my debit card and it's unlikely that I will whilst at Uni. So should I get a student bank account anyway?
Original post by Koolio
I already have a bank account, which is the same one since I had when I was 16. Obviously all these student bank accounts offer great interest free overdrafts and freebies but is it a necessity? So far, I've never gone into overdraft for my debit card and it's unlikely that I will whilst at Uni. So should I get a student bank account anyway?

It's not essential, no, but you can make the banks work for you, so it's advised (Even if you just wnat a free rail card)
Original post by Koolio

Well having one won't do you any harm, it took me about 20 minutes to set mine up with Santander.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Alos, depending on your bank you may be able to get them to switch the account you currently have to a student one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
No, I just stuck with my previous one. Didn't have any issues with my bank before and as I was still living at home my outgoings weren't a lot so I wasn't going to need an overdraft. Thought it wasn't worth the hassle of changing and haven't had any problems so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending