The Student Room Group

Help...Where should I go to do Psychology?

I'm a year 13 student hoping to go to Uni next year to do psychology. I haven't been to any open days but have researched a few uni's that I like the look of. These include Goldsmiths (london), Kent, Bristol, Birmingham, Leicester and UEA.

Really stuck on making my decision for which ones to apply to. Anyone either doing psychology (or no)t who recommend any of the ones I mentioned or recommend any others that are particularly good, either in general or specifically for psychology??

Thank you so much I could really use some help as my tutor at school seems pretty useless.
I have direct experience of Bristol psychology, which I highly recommend, and is probably the highest rated.

I would rate Birmingham highly too.

The others I would rate slightly lower.

I would consider the city as a major factor too. Do you want to be in the middle of a big city like London or Birmingham, or a medium one like Bristol or Leicester, or a small one like Canterbury? I think visiting them is very worthwhile too if possible.
Original post by chazwomaq
I have direct experience of Bristol psychology, which I highly recommend, and is probably the highest rated.

I would rate Birmingham highly too.

The others I would rate slightly lower.

I would consider the city as a major factor too. Do you want to be in the middle of a big city like London or Birmingham, or a medium one like Bristol or Leicester, or a small one like Canterbury? I think visiting them is very worthwhile too if possible.

Thanks! I guess i'm looking for a medium/large city but i'll think about maybe visiting a couple. It's just difficult because the ones i'm looking at aren't exactly close to where I live and it seems a bit pointless to drive for like 6/7 hours just to visit?
Original post by psychstudent9
it seems a bit pointless to drive for like 6/7 hours just to visit?

I would go to a university / department open day. You will get a tour of the university, accommodation, chance to meet lecturers and current students etc. Very useful and not pointless if you may spend 3 years there.
Reply 4
VISIT!

Look up the programs, visit the departments and then judge based on:

Curricula, immediate environment (people and facilities), proximate (campus area), and wider (city/town etc).

Best thing is to always go see for yourself.

B'ham has a good balance of being a campus uni in a quiet area but only 10 mins from a city centre which is like the best of both worlds.

St Andrews is groovy too!
I'm a year 13 student hoping to go to Uni next year to do psychology. I haven't been to any open days but have researched a few uni's that I like the look of. These include Goldsmiths (london), Kent, Bristol, Birmingham, Leicester and UEA.

Really stuck on making my decision for which ones to apply to. Anyone either doing psychology (or no)t who recommend any of the ones I mentioned or recommend any others that are particularly good, either in general or specifically for psychology??

Thank you so much I could really use some help as my tutor at school seems pretty useless.

Do look at whether it is a BA or BSc as it gives some indication on whether it has more science or more social psychology. Also read their curriculum as it may also tell you if the course is more towards a particular area such as applied psychology etc. You need to do some legwork with google.
Reply 6
I also want to do psychology at uni next year. I want to go to London cause I have family there so it's less daunting than as if I was going there completely alone, but UCL has such high requirements, so I was thinking about QMUL (AAB-ABB) but I'm not sure about how good it is, comparisons on unistats show it isn't as good as other russell group ones. Advice on where to go???? It's hard choosing anywhere other than london cause it would be completely new but I don't want to stay at home:frown:

I would also recommend Bristol and agree it would be the best off your list :smile: although I'm biased, I've been around london (new cross), birmingham and leicester and would say Bristol is by far the best city to live in as a student! As well, the uni is of very high quality and the course is established and interesting.

Keep in mind birmingham is now doing the MSci (four year) psychology which might be an advantage or disadvantage. You don't have to stay for that year but it's something to consider! As well, the birmingham department is huge compared to Bristol, so if you want something more 'close knit' where you feel you can get to know the department better, you might prefer Bristol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest