The Student Room Group

Do I have a future?

Hello everyone

I want to do an access course (Engineering or Science) next year (I'm 18), I already have English as a second language but not maths, but I have functional skills, I am planning to resit privately maths foundation+highter and IGCSE english as a first language.

I have a few question .

How can I improve my English?
How can I pass Maths?
Is IGCSE English as a first language worth for me?

Just wondering if I pass and do an access course (Science or Engineering) will it lead me somewhere in life, or it's just a waste of time?

Please help me I'm depressed.
Original post by Pleasehelpme1
Hello everyone

I want to do an access course (Engineering or Science) next year (I'm 18), I already have English as a second language but not maths, but I have functional skills, I am planning to resit privately maths foundation+highter and IGCSE english as a first language.

I have a few question .

How can I pass Maths?

Just wondering if I pass and do an access course (Science or Engineering) will it lead me somewhere in life, or it's just a waste of time?

You mean that you speak another language fluently too?
Original post by TheAnusFiles
You mean that you speak another language fluently too?

Yes French.
Yes French.

Well if you get your English up to native speaker standard then that should be a CV bonus for you. Improving your english is just a matter of practise. Read newspapers and magazines in English, talk to people and it will improve before you know it. As for your other queries I can't help you as it isn't my area of expertise, but the fact that you are looking that far ahead into the future is a good sign. Please don't give up. The future is uncertain for most of us so you just have to take it as it comes.
I also have French as my 1st language. I improved my English mainly by reading books and watching TV shows/movies in English.

Are you on CIE? May be better for you to take English 2nd Language,but extended tier rather than core
Well if you get your English up to native speaker standard then that should be a CV bonus for you. Improving your english is just a matter of practise. Read newspapers and magazines in English, talk to people and it will improve before you know it. As for your other queries I can't help you as it isn't my area of expertise, but the fact that you are looking that far ahead into the future is a good sign. Please don't give up. The future is uncertain for most of us so you just have to take it as it comes.

Thank you so much.

I am so ashamed of myself , even my little brother is doing his A levels , and I'm still doing my GCSE'S... Everyone is asking my parents, what I am doing , it is so embarrassing to lie to people looking into their eyes , I feel so bad. I can't even sleep at night , I always have nightmares.

I'm going to revise non stop, because if this year I fail , I'm screwed.
You can absolutely have a future. It seems like you're on the right path as you're already thinking of options. Make sure you do an Access course in the subject you wish to pursue and make sure that you do have GCSE Maths & English. Do look up the universities entry requirements as some are different. Make sure you study very hard and get distinctions in your access course, its very tough its like Alevels but in 1 year I hear. Many universities accept access courses too. Also, try and get some work experience too or do some voluntary work that would look great on your UCAS application & personal statement.

Finally after all that, finish university + get some work experience.

Oh & try look for classes at your local college to help you in english & maths. Also there are plenty of resources online and in the library to help you with maths such as Khan Academy is a great tool. https://www.khanacademy.org/

You can have a future for sure, just work hard and be confident!
Original post by itsRochana
I also have French as my 1st language. I improved my English mainly by reading books and watching TV shows/movies in English.

Are you on CIE? May be better for you to take English 2nd Language,but extended tier rather than core

I've passed English as a Second language :smile:.
Thank you so much.

I am so ashamed of myself , even my little brother is doing his A levels , and I'm still doing my GCSE'S... Everyone is asking my parents, what I am doing , it is so embarrassing to lie to people looking into their eyes , I feel so bad. I can't even sleep at night , I always have nightmares.

I'm going to revise non stop, because if this year I fail , I'm screwed.

Don't worry. I lie awake at night thinking of all the mistakes I've made. Embarrassing too saying you study a humanities subject as a RG uni when your parents are high earners and all their friends think you are going to end up on the dole.
Hello everyone

I have a few question .

How can I pass Maths?

Science and Engineering are amazing and will always lead you somewhere in life!! :biggrin: It's definitely not a waste of time!! :smile: Don't be depressed, we all have our down moments occasionally but as I try to be a realistic optimist :redface: just do your best and everything will turn out fine!! :woo: look on the bright side! :h: you have a goal and a plan and know which course you want to study!!! Good luck! (:

(wow I used a lot of emoticons....)
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't worry. I lie awake at night thinking of all the mistakes I've made. Embarrassing too saying you study a humanities subject as a RG uni when your parents are high earners and all their friends think you are going to end up on the dole.

Omg this is so me , my parents are working 24/24 non stop to raise me and my siblings.My little bro and sis are both geniuses , I honestly feel so bad for not taking my studies seriously , I want to make my parents proud of me. I am working while re-siting my exams it's so hard , I miss school so much , I can't even talk to my friends :s-smilie: , I feel like I am screwed , it's so annoying because everyone is asking me what I am doing , at the moment I managed to lie , but every time I lie I feel like I'm getting stabbed inside my heart.
Original post by happysmile
Science and Engineering are amazing and will always lead you somewhere in life!! :biggrin: It's definitely not a waste of time!! :smile: Don't be depressed, we all have our down moments occasionally but as I try to be a realistic optimist :redface: just do your best and everything will turn out fine!! :woo: look on the bright side! :h: you have a goal and a plan and know which course you want to study!!! Good luck! (:

(wow I used a lot of emoticons....)

Thank you so much :smile:
Omg this is so me , my parents are working 24/24 non stop to raise me and my siblings.My little bro and sis are both geniuses , I honestly feel so bad for not taking my studies seriously , I want to make my parents proud of me. I am working while re-siting my exams it's so hard , I miss school so much , I can't even talk to my friends :s-smilie: , I feel like I am screwed , it's so annoying because everyone is asking me what I am doing , at the moment I managed to lie , but every time I lie I feel like I'm getting stabbed inside my heart.

Many people are in the same position, partly due to the times we live in. Don't feel alone in this
Reply 13
Yes, i have a future. I will study history in a german university.
Thank you so much :smile:

wish you the best of luck : )
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello everyone

I have a few question .

How can I pass Maths?

One pointer about learning another language - English,you can easily learn to write (spell etc..) but you will only improve your communication skills - to speak and read by talking to others in English. Yes, reading (or trying to read, watching movies etc may help) but the only way to improve communication is speaking in English to other English people. This way you will see how they structure their sentence, what they pronounce their words and you will be able to practice; nevertheless, you will also develop and extend you vocabulary by learning more words and how to use them.

Hope this helps :smile:)

*personal experience* :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest