The Student Room Group

Is this relationship worth continuing?

I (20M) have been with my girlfriend (20F) for almost two years. I love her very much, and I want to see her succeed, however, she has no idea what she wants or any desire to find out.
I am very ambitious, with big goals for the future. I always try and encourage my girlfriend to be positive, however, she can be very pessimistic.
I have started to feel resentment and frustration towards her attitude as of starting a new job, and I am slowly beginning to struggle to see a future with her.
Is this relationship worth fighting for, or am I fighting a losing battle? I really don't want to hurt her.
What qualities do you like about her, what is that attracting feature about her that is making you stay in the relationship?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
What qualities do you like about her, what is that attracting feature about her that is making you stay in the relationship?

She is a very caring and loving person. We share great laughs together. I can tell her anything and I love her very much, but I worry that I will continue growing to resent her for her attitude towards life, because sometimes it gets to me and makes me feel down.
Reply 3
The future of any relationship depends on shared goals and visions.
Without this you cannot move in the same direction together.
Reply 4
It is unlikely to change such that her ambition matches yours. You have to decide if the things you value outweigh the things that you’re frustrated by. And if they do then accept that it’s about loving the whole person for what they are. If not, as it sounds, try to end it as amicably as possible
I had a relationship just like you described. My ex-girlfriend could not be bothered or motivated to find out what she wanted to do, and every attempt at getting her to find out would either end in a fight and a flat refusal or a promise to look into it, only for her to invariably break that promise...

I understand your frustration. My ex's problems ran a little deeper than not knowing what she wanted to do in the future, but the core problem was the same, no matter what I or anyone did, she could not be galvanised to do anything at all. And it's a horrible feeling, because I cared for her a lot. You think she'll turn it around, or you'll be able to make her do something about her future and then... nothing happens, nothing changes. And I fully believe you when you say you tried to encourage her and I fully believe you care for her, else you wouldn't start getting resentful and frustrated.

I can only tell you what happened to me - my relationship only lasted a month and a half from the moment I realised I was getting frustrated at her lack of plan or action towards her future and her other problems. But I looked back and realised that I had been frustrated for months beforehand, probably refusing to accept it. You probably have come to a similar conclusion or will soon. And then I came to the conclusion that people like my ex don't enjoy being like that, but are also convinced that having an aimless, purposeless life is better than the alternative of trying to find out what to do with their lifes. I believe that no one but themselves will make them change. You can try and aid them, but the responsibility lies squarely with them and if they don't want to, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. I also noticed that these people bring you down, unknowingly and unwittingly, but inactivity and aimlessness is contagious and you will see in a few months that if you were to pursue a future with this girl, she was going to not get anywhere in life and stop you from going where you want to go in life. You'll also see that you weren't doing her any favours and were also unknowingly and unwittingly facilitating her not doing anything about her future.

If you had to ask this question, it's because you've already answered it yourself and you just either don't know it yet or you refuse to accept the answer. You are fighting a losing battle. Your relationship is on borrowed time and the longer you avoid the inevitable, the more you'll hurt her - and yourself. I'm very sorry. Life sucks like that sometimes.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotland Yard
I had a relationship just like you described. My ex-girlfriend could not be bothered or motivated to find out what she wanted to do, and every attempt at getting her to find out would either end in a fight and a flat refusal or a promise to look into it, only for her to invariably break that promise...

I understand your frustration. My ex's problems ran a little deeper than not knowing what she wanted to do in the future, but the core problem was the same, no matter what I or anyone did, she could not be galvanised to do anything at all. And it's a horrible feeling, because I cared for her a lot. You think she'll turn it around, or you'll be able to make her do something about her future and then... nothing happens, nothing changes. And I fully believe you when you say you tried to encourage her and I fully believe you care for her, else you wouldn't start getting resentful and frustrated.

I can only tell you what happened to me - my relationship only lasted a month and a half from the moment I realised I was getting frustrated at her lack of plan or action towards her future and her other problems. But I looked back and realised that I had been frustrated for months beforehand, probably refusing to accept it. You probably have come to a similar conclusion or will soon. And then I came to the conclusion that people like my ex don't enjoy being like that, but are also convinced that having an aimless, purposeless life is better than the alternative of trying to find out what to do with their lifes. I believe that no one but themselves will make them change. You can try and aid them, but the responsibility lies squarely with them and if they don't want to, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. I also noticed that these people bring you down, unknowingly and unwittingly, but inactivity and aimlessness is contagious and you will see in a few months that if you were to pursue a future with this girl, she was going to not get anywhere in life and stop you from going where you want to go in life. You'll also see that you weren't doing her any favours and were also unknowingly and unwittingly facilitating her not doing anything about her future.

If you had to ask this question, it's because you've already answered it yourself and you just either don't know it yet or you refuse to accept the answer. You are fighting a losing battle. Your relationship is on borrowed time and the longer you avoid the inevitable, the more you'll hurt her - and yourself. I'm very sorry. Life sucks like that sometimes.

I feel like you’ve perfectly described my relationship as it stands. It’s reassuring, so thank you for taking the time to write this. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you break things off with your ex girlfriend?
I feel like you’ve perfectly described my relationship as it stands. It’s reassuring, so thank you for taking the time to write this. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you break things off with your ex girlfriend?

No problem, glad to help.

I'm not going to tell you how I ended things with my ex because it was wrong what I did. I bottled things for too long and as a result, I just exploded in a way I didn't even think I was capable of and I finished things, very badly. So badly that it was a break-up spread out over two days. So when you break up with your girlfriend, you ideally want to avoid having reached your emotional breaking point, because you'll make crass decisions that'll just make everything much uglier than it need to be.

I wish I was of more help to you, but the only advice I can give you is, once you've decided to do it, you need to do it quickly before your emotions kick in and do it for you, and that it's probably best to set her expectations in advance (e.g.: tell her it isn't working out and you need a break to think about the future). Breaking up with someone you care about is probably one of the hardest things you'll ever do to yourself, so also be prepared for that. And know that it's OK to grieve the end of the relationship, regardless that you ended it, and remember, you're not alone. I wish you the best.
Reply 8
Original post by Scotland Yard
No problem, glad to help.

I'm not going to tell you how I ended things with my ex because it was wrong what I did. I bottled things for too long and as a result, I just exploded in a way I didn't even think I was capable of and I finished things, very badly. So badly that it was a break-up spread out over two days. So when you break up with your girlfriend, you ideally want to avoid having reached your emotional breaking point, because you'll make crass decisions that'll just make everything much uglier than it need to be.

I wish I was of more help to you, but the only advice I can give you is, once you've decided to do it, you need to do it quickly before your emotions kick in and do it for you, and that it's probably best to set her expectations in advance (e.g.: tell her it isn't working out and you need a break to think about the future). Breaking up with someone you care about is probably one of the hardest things you'll ever do to yourself, so also be prepared for that. And know that it's OK to grieve the end of the relationship, regardless that you ended it, and remember, you're not alone. I wish you the best.

Sounds like you've been through it. Hope you're ok, and I appreciate the advice. I've been broken up with before, but I've not broken up with someone. I'm not sure what to expect.
Sounds like you've been through it. Hope you're ok, and I appreciate the advice. I've been broken up with before, but I've not broken up with someone. I'm not sure what to expect.

Thank you. I'm OK! It's never nice when a relationship needs to end but time heals everything.

Expect tears, sadness and pain. You won't feel good doing it, but since you know why it's necessary to do it, it should make it a little bit easier on yourself after the fact. You should also stand your ground if she tries to change your mind - you know why you're doing it, you wouldn't be doing it unless you knew there wasn't any other way. You should also sever contact with her, at least for a while. You don't need a reminder of the past that'll only delay you from healing and moving on.

Also go hang out with your friends if you can, after you've ended things. It really does help!
Not everyone has that moment of clarity to say 'yes! this is what i want to do!' . It can be a long time coming. Bear in mind TSR mum here, but I have friends in their 30's and 40's who have literally just decided after years of hopping from one job to the next, never being satisfied. She could just be one of those people. Theres people who are more than happy to be on a checkout for 30/40 years until they retire and thats ok too; they are very happy in what they do. Depending on how you encourage her is important. You dont want to come across as her dad, so theres ways and means of going about it. The main thing is from her perspective, is is she happy in her job? If she is then thats great. Happy lady, happy girlfriend. If you want her to be the next Karren Brady then she might not want to be and your encouragement trying to steer her into something shes not, she might end up resenting you.

So there really is a fine line here. if shes constantly unhappy hopping from job to job moaning about it and its rubbing off on you, then most definitely, her negative nancy attitude, well, she needs to change. Im sure she will find her way in the end into a job she loves doing, but it could come tomorrow or 10 years from now, so you will need to ask yourself, are you willing to wait for that to happen? If not, then yes the relationship has run its course.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending