The Student Room Group

RAF Officer - improving my chances!

I'm currently studying for my degree at university (second year) and I'm very interested in a career as an officer in the RAF after it. I'm still unsure which branch to go for.
Anyway, my question is what extra curricular activities have people done that they thought were useful when it came to AFCO filter interview and beyond? I could do with gaining some skills experience that generally define an officer e.g. Leadership. Thanks all!
(edited 9 years ago)
Something that shows leadership and responsibility.

Just think about it for a bit and what do YOU think it means?
Reply 2
Original post by ProStacker
Something that shows leadership and responsibility.

Just think about it for a bit and what do YOU think it means?

Sorry, the way I have worded the question is misleading. It's not that I don't know what leadership and responsibility is, I was after any examples that other people may have done that gave them the experience of leadership etc. such as DofE.
Reply 3
Original post by SLClegg
such as DofE.

There's one.

Ideally you should be able to work this one out on your own.

However, becoming a junior sports coach is a solid example that they tend to like.
Reply 4
Initiative is one of the skills they will probably like, along with responsibility of leadership.

My advice would be to take the initiative and think about what will be beneficial. Don't just do it because you think it will look good, do it because you will enjoy it and better yourself because of it.

For example, I enjoy football. This requires a bit of responsibility, but I decided to run for captaincy at university. 2 birds with one stone. Leadership & activity in something I enjoy doing.

What responsibilities do you have at work? Day to day things? I'm currently in an office job just earning some money while I prepare. It's mundane, but I have responsibilities. Little ones, but they are ones I'm expected to complete well, and with integrity - such as invoicing and liaising with customers
Reply 5
Original post by Opts
Initiative is one of the skills they will probably like, along with responsibility of leadership.

My advice would be to take the initiative and think about what will be beneficial. Don't just do it because you think it will look good, do it because you will enjoy it and better yourself because of it.

For example, I enjoy football. This requires a bit of responsibility, but I decided to run for captaincy at university. 2 birds with one stone. Leadership & activity in something I enjoy doing.

What responsibilities do you have at work? Day to day things? I'm currently in an office job just earning some money while I prepare. It's mundane, but I have responsibilities. Little ones, but they are ones I'm expected to complete well, and with integrity - such as invoicing and liaising with customers

Thanks this was really helpful! I enjoy cricket and thankfully I'm pretty decent at it so I'll look at joining the uni team. Also, I'll look at joining a charity fundraising society and hopeful get a chance at an organisational role.

Quick Reply

Latest