Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I completed my first year at University, (passed), funded by student finance last year (2013/14).
    I then withdrew after receiving my results from the University and applied for a new course/university and new student finance.

    When I phoned student finance I wanted to ensure that there would be no repayments for the previous year, they confirmed that there wouldn't be and I did not owe any money, and said that they in fact owed me money, and paid me around £340. This was around a month ago.

    However.. I've received a letter today fro the Student Loans Company Limited, saying that I owe them £110, I phoned up and asked where this has come from, as I was definitely told that I did not owe anything. When I phoned up the woman told me on top of this payment, I also owe another £400. She said that I owe this money because I withdrew and didn't complete my first year at uni, when I told her I did she said that it didn't matter and that I still had to pay.

    So now I owe over £500 that I was told I wouldn't have to pay back, and I have no idea what to do, I'm still a student and I really can't afford this.

    None of this comes up anywhere on the actual loans website, and the letters aren't on there either. I'm so confused.

    Please help.

    You are funded whilst at university from course start course start. So your year 1 funding was from when ever you started to the start of year 2, not the date you got your results. It appears they are claiming back the money's paid to you to cover the period from you getting your results and withdrawing to the start of year 2.

    They are correct to do so.

University open days

  • University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.