The Student Room Group

Funding for third degree and overpayments

Hi,
I’ve been accepted to do BSC Occupational Therapy at Sheffield Hallam to start in September.
I’ve applied for student finance two weeks ago (tuition and maintenance loan) but unsure 🫤 if I’ll get it - I already have an English degree from 2009 and have completed one term doing an Education masters a couple of years ago and half a term doing nursing last September. I dropped out of both of these for personal reasons. I also had an overpayment for both of those that I haven’t paid back yet.
Will I still get full funding for my new course in September? I’m sure it’s an exception course but I’m unsure if having multiple previous study and two overpayments would prevent me getting it?
Thanks in advance
Original post by Ruby.78
Hi,
I’ve been accepted to do BSC Occupational Therapy at Sheffield Hallam to start in September.
I’ve applied for student finance two weeks ago (tuition and maintenance loan) but unsure 🫤 if I’ll get it - I already have an English degree from 2009 and have completed one term doing an Education masters a couple of years ago and half a term doing nursing last September. I dropped out of both of these for personal reasons. I also had an overpayment for both of those that I haven’t paid back yet.
Will I still get full funding for my new course in September? I’m sure it’s an exception course but I’m unsure if having multiple previous study and two overpayments would prevent me getting it?
Thanks in advance

Hi Ruby.78,

It's correct Occupational Therapy is one of our exception courses as it's an Allied Health Professions Course (AHP). AHP and NHS courses will be exempt from previous study and ELQ rules. Therefore if you already hold a degree or have previous study, you will still be eligible to access the full package of funding.

If you have an overpayment and not repaid this yet, it will flag up so you would need to contact the collections team to discuss repayment on 0300 100 0629.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Thanks for this - I wrote a letter to the collection team about a month ago with an offer to repay monthly and I’ve started making payments on it. However, I haven’t heard anything back from them so I’ll give them a call for an update.
Will this overpayment stop me getting student finance for this year - can they take it from my future award?
Thanks again for your help
Original post by Ruby.78
Thanks for this - I wrote a letter to the collection team about a month ago with an offer to repay monthly and I’ve started making payments on it. However, I haven’t heard anything back from them so I’ll give them a call for an update.
Will this overpayment stop me getting student finance for this year - can they take it from my future award?
Thanks again for your help

Hi there, Yes, potentially the overpayments would be deducted from your new funding awarded. The overpayment will not stop you getting future funding. Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Yes, potentially the overpayments would be deducted from your new funding awarded. The overpayment will not stop you getting future funding. Thanks, Angela

Thanks Angela.
I spoke with the collections team on Friday who put me in contact with the debt collectors it has been forwarded to. I made a small payment towards the overpayment and they put my account on hold for 28 days to allow time for my student finance this year to be assessed.
Will the fact that debt collectors are involved stop me from getting future finance?
Thanks again
Original post by Ruby.78
Thanks Angela.
I spoke with the collections team on Friday who put me in contact with the debt collectors it has been forwarded to. I made a small payment towards the overpayment and they put my account on hold for 28 days to allow time for my student finance this year to be assessed.
Will the fact that debt collectors are involved stop me from getting future finance?
Thanks again

Hi there,

This shouldn't affect this as the overpayment will be clawed back from your future entitlement.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

This shouldn't affect this as the overpayment will be clawed back from your future entitlement.

Thanks, Clare

That’s very reassuring - thank you
Original post by Ruby.78
That’s very reassuring - thank you

You're welcome, have a lovely day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending