The Student Room Group

I'm a second year International Baccalaureate student, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Is IB harder compared to A-levels?My brother and sister did IB.Both of them got 42.
Do you like football?
Reply 21
Original post by Bude8
I can't recall a single moment that I've been annoyed with you, I do recall that I thought you were a nice and good guy, and I respected you for being a hard worker, or eager though (is this true or am I going crazy?! :lol:). I'm extremely difficult to annoy so don't worry about it :lol:

Hard working is like the opposite of me, but I was probably eager back then :tongue:
That's reassuring, I usually annoy everyone in sight :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skill Twix
Is IB harder compared to A-levels?My brother and sister did IB. Both of them got 42.
Do you like football?

I believe it is, yes. I don't think you'll find many people that actually think A levels are harder than IB tbh. 6 subjects; think of it as 3 A2 subjects and 3 As subjects, but the 3 A2 subjects are a bit harder than actual A2 subjects. Oh and yeah, there are coursework elements for each of the 6 subjects. In addition, you have to spend at least 150 hours doing activities that have 'creative, action, or service' purposes. You also have to write a 4000 word Extended Essay, seemingly the bane of every IB student's life :lol: It's a bit like an EPQ though I suppose. Every student also has to write a ~1500 words Theory of Knowledge Essay. Doesn't seem like that many words but to score a high mark it needs to be seriously concentrated and focused.

Some exam questions in the IB are also very tricky and require deep and proper understanding. An example is physics, although I've never studied A level Physics, my friends and teachers all say that it's mostly about finding the right equation then plugging the numbers in. In IB Physics, some questions require deriving formulae and expressions, and you need a good understanding of Physics to do this.

It also depends on the subjects that people are taking. Most people think the HL subject combination I went with is probably the hardest combination so getting 40+ would be pretty damn impressive. A 7 in HL Maths is generally really impressive - I've heard of Oxford making offers with only a 6 in HL Maths for Maths applicants (but then again, they have their MAT so...). If someone told me they got a 7 in SL Maths Studies though, I wouldn't be amazed at all. I've been told that many American universities don't even recognise Maths Studies as a qualification.

No, I don't really like football. Played it for a while for school but that's about it. I don't watch it at all.
Original post by Vionar
Hard working is like the opposite of me, but I was probably eager back then :tongue:
That's reassuring, I usually annoy everyone in sight :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was eager back then too :tongue: a bit less so now :lol:
One particular thing I recall you doing is noticing that the Irish girl that used to post was Irish - you saw that her GCSE results said Y12 or something? Thought that was quite impressive at the time :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I believe it is, yes. I don't think you'll find many people that actually think A levels are harder than IB tbh. 6 subjects; think of it as 3 A2 subjects and 3 As subjects, but the 3 A2 subjects are a bit harder than actual A2 subjects. Oh and yeah, there are coursework elements for each of the 6 subjects. In addition, you have to spend at least 150 hours doing activities that have 'creative, action, or service' purposes. You also have to write a 4000 word Extended Essay, seemingly the bane of every IB student's life :lol: It's a bit like an EPQ though I suppose. Every student also has to write a ~1500 words Theory of Knowledge Essay. Doesn't seem like that many words but to score a high mark it needs to be seriously concentrated and focused.

Some exam questions in the IB are also very tricky and require deep and proper understanding. An example is physics, although I've never studied A level Physics, my friends and teachers all say that it's mostly about finding the right equation then plugging the numbers in. In IB Physics, some questions require deriving formulae and expressions, and you need a good understanding of Physics to do this.

It also depends on the subjects that people are taking. Most people think the HL subject combination I went with is probably the hardest combination so getting 40+ would be pretty damn impressive. A 7 in HL Maths is generally really impressive - I've heard of Oxford making offers with only a 6 in HL Maths for Maths applicants (but then again, they have their MAT so...). If someone told me they got a 7 in SL Maths Studies though, I wouldn't be amazed at all. I've been told that many American universities don't even recognise Maths Studies as a qualification.

No, I don't really like football. Played it for a while for school but that's about it. I don't watch it at all.

Damn!Good luck!Aren't you forced to take critical thinking and general studies?My siblings did them.I am doing A-levels anyways!
Original post by Skill Twix
Damn!Good luck!Aren't you forced to take critical thinking and general studies?My siblings did them.I am doing A-levels anyways!

No we aren't, but Theory of Knowledge covers most of that - it's actually really interesting and teaches you how to make proper and strong arguments. ToK lessons are also compulsory until you finish the coursework elements of it, and I think I've got about 1 more term of ToK lessons left.
Original post by Bude8
No we aren't, but Theory of Knowledge covers most of that - it's actually really interesting and teaches you how to make proper and strong arguments. ToK lessons are also compulsory until you finish the coursework elements of it, and I think I've got about 1 more term of ToK lessons left.

Ah okay.
I didn't understand anything.
People were right.IB is too complicated!
Reply 27
Original post by Bude8
I was eager back then too :tongue: a bit less so now :lol:
One particular thing I recall you doing is noticing that the Irish girl that used to post was Irish - you saw that her GCSE results said Y12 or something? Thought that was quite impressive at the time :lol:

It's strange how we've been reduced to misery over the years (I've been on TSR for more than two years, which is terrifying)
I think I remember that! Though I don't remember who it was :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Chemical engineering applicant represent !
what universities have you applied to ?
Original post by Vionar
It's strange how we've been reduced to misery over the years (I've been on TSR for more than two years, which is terrifying)
I think I remember that! Though I don't remember who it was :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

She only used TSR for a brief period of time :lol: I remember she had a nice voice and she was quite pretty too.

Original post by rachu
Chemical engineering applicant represent !
what universities have you applied to ?

Only Bath and Cambridge. I already have an offer from Bath :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Bude8
She only used TSR for a brief period of time :lol: I remember she had a nice voice and she was quite pretty too.

Only Bath and Cambridge. I already have an offer from Bath :smile:

Ahh congratulations :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Bude8

Oh she was there when we did the voice things!
Interesting to see what you remember about her :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Oh she was there when we did the voice things!
Interesting to see what you remember about her :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest