The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Durham for history? Very undecided!

I'm taking a gap year and applying to University for history at the moment. I've decided to apply to York, Manchester, King's and Royal Holloway because I like the courses etc. However, I now have to decide between Sheffield and Durham. I'm stuck because I like the course at Sheffield, but I don't particularly like the place and it's lower ranking than Durham for history. However, the course at Durham doesn't really appeal to me (but the location is perfect).

So basically, should I choose the content of the course at Sheffield or choose Durham as it's rated more highly?

I'm so undecided here.

Also, my GCSE results aren't exactly spectacular and I'm sure this a problem with Durham (2 A*s, 4 As, 3 Bs and a D* in a btec). I find mixed reviews on whether Durham place a huge amount of emphasis on GCSEs so I am concerned there's not much point in me applying.

But I did really well at A Level and I got 4 As at AS and 3 A*s at A2.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Scroll to see replies

I reckon you should go for the course that will most hold your interest, best way to stay motivated. Durham is indeed ranked higher but it's not like we're comparing Cambridge and Sunderland here.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I reckon you should go for the course that will most hold your interest, best way to stay motivated. Durham is indeed ranked higher but it's not like we're comparing Cambridge and Sunderland here.

That's what I worried about - like most, I find it difficult to concentrate on something that doesn't interest me. And yeah, that's very true, they are both good universities!
I looked around Durham and whilst some of the buildings are nice and the town is quite nice I didnt rate the tutors I spoke to, the lecture I attended, some of the accommodation is beyond dire, and overall I was deeply underwhelmed. It does have a good name, but I think you need to go along and really get a feel for it as thats the only way you will form a real opinion. The course is waaaay more important than the uni in my opinion.
Durham will probably have a higher rah-count...
Original post by JamesTheCool
Durham will probably have a higher rah-count...

Might be a stupid question, but what's a rah - count?
Original post by LolaLowe
I looked around Durham and whilst some of the buildings are nice and the town is quite nice I didnt rate the tutors I spoke to, the lecture I attended, some of the accommodation is beyond dire, and overall I was deeply underwhelmed. It does have a good name, but I think you need to go along and really get a feel for it as thats the only way you will form a real opinion. The course is waaaay more important than the uni in my opinion.

I went to see Durham last month and it hasn't helped make a decision. The thing is, I have people telling me that, as I'll be spending £9000 a year on uni, I should go to the best one I possibly canl
Original post by LolaLowe

I went to see Durham last month and it hasn't helped make a decision. The thing is, I have people telling me that, as I'll be spending £9000 a year on uni, I should go to the best one I possibly can.
I'd go to the one with the course you enjoy most - in this case Sheffield. As said above, it isn't like Sheffield is considering a terrible uni, it's in the Russell Group and is regarded highly. There's no point going to Durham for the prestige alone.
Ask yourself what is more important.. the course or the place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by EleanorFrost
I'm taking a gap year and applying to University for history at the moment. I've decided to apply to York, Manchester, King's and Royal Holloway because I like the courses etc. However, I now have to decide between Sheffield and Durham. I'm stuck because I like the course at Sheffield, but I don't particularly like the place and it's lower ranking than Durham for history. However, the course at Durham doesn't really appeal to me (but the location is perfect).

What's the problem with Durham?
Reply 11

So basically, should I choose the content of the course at Sheffield or choose Durham as it's rated more highly?

I'm so undecided here.

Also, my GCSE results aren't exactly spectacular and I'm sure this a problem with Durham (2 A*s, 4 As, 3 Bs and a D* in a btec). I find mixed reviews on whether Durham place a huge amount of emphasis on GCSEs so I am concerned there's not much point in me applying.

I really don't know lol but from what I've heard Durham is like practically Oxbridge so if you don't really like the course I guess I wouldn't apply. Still though, it's got a really good reputation and that so there's that to consider.

I visited Sheffield and it's like not that pretty or anything but I think it would be more of a fun place to live than Durham in terms of nightlife so I guess there's that to consider :smile: Depends what you're into though. I know this is a very unhelpful answer lol just my two cents.
Might be a stupid question, but what's a rah - count?

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7cR1I6zUGo
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Josb
What's the problem with Durham?

Very few aspects of the course interest me. While I'm happy to study a range of topics, I found the course to be very restricting. I liked the actual place a lot though, which is the problem.
Original post by troodon
I really don't know lol but from what I've heard Durham is like practically Oxbridge so if you don't really like the course I guess I wouldn't apply. Still though, it's got a really good reputation and that so there's that to consider.

I visited Sheffield and it's like not that pretty or anything but I think it would be more of a fun place to live than Durham in terms of nightlife so I guess there's that to consider :smile: Depends what you're into though. I know this is a very unhelpful answer lol just my two cents.

Do you mean like Oxbridge in terms of reputation and standard of work?

And yeah, I'm not into nightlife at all so that would make me sway towards Durham. Don't worry, you're reply was actually quite helpful! Thanks :smile:
Just out of interest, what do you want to go on and do with your history degree? I'm thinking of studying history but I'm not sure yet. I would go for Durham if I were you, as it's not just as if you're considering it only because of prestige. It's got a better name than Sheffield overall I suppose, but you said yourself you love the place. It looks lovely, and university experience to a lot of people is just as, if not more important than the course. You're considering both for a history degrees, so in reality, you'll come out of either university with the same degree, only a degree from Durham sounds more appealing to me. Lectures will only take up a fraction of your time, you have to live 24/7 in the area, so I think you need to consider which uni you like best! It's up to you though, good luck.
Original post by ScienceConfusion

Agreed that living is very important, although for sake of OP:

a) when you're at home for 3+ weeks over Christmas/Easter/exams you're left with the course, not the place. Of course, you can stay, but the course still rules here as most friends will have gone, it will be quiet, and exams will be looming.

b) tend to do better when you're interested in a course. Can be negated by hard work, but it depends on your ethic, and I don't think i'd be too into the idea of signing myself up to something I wasn't that interested in, if I had seen something I was interested in.

c) I doubt the reputation does much. Both universities are very good, no decision will come down to that tiny prestige point that Durham might have here - so many other things individual candidates can be distinguished by. Is the degree from a decent university? If yes, okay, move on.

d) most cities/towns/places have something to interest everyone, it's just a case of finding it. Depends where your home is, but many people I think just end up places they never really thought about too much, or didn't like the sound of. I didn't like the sound of Sheffield, personally, thinking it was an ugly industrial city but it's actually a very nice place to live - but here I come from a town and I could never live in London etc. My friend went to Newcastle thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread, but when I spoke to her earlier this year after graduation it turned out she really didn't enjoy the place. You never quite know, I suppose. Always a different matter when you're living there, rather than visiting.

Have you been to visit both? I see you mentioned going to Durham, have you also been to Sheffield?

As long as you don't outright completely hate a place, i'd go with the course preference.

I'm so undecided here.

There's no doubt that Durham do place an emphasis on GCSEs for a good number of courses, history being one of them. However, they do also take school context into account.
sheffield- everyone loves it you can't go wrong
Should consider Warwick tbh its amazing and I will firm the offer i have from them as soon as i can, though Durham is ranked 1 so for that alone I would go with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending