The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fly By
whether it was originated from where it doesn't really matter, but in the 21st century we can all agree that we would like to be 'free'?

There still seems to be some confusion - I have no problem with people having legal rights to speech, food etc - my dispute is with those who believe we already have these rights naturally - that concept is known as "human rights" and, as UCL's spiritual founder Bentham said, the idea of natural rights is "nonsense upon stilts".
Sanctus
There still seems to be some confusion - I have no problem with people having legal rights to speech, food etc - my dispute is with those who believe we already have these rights naturally - that concept is known as "human rights" and, as UCL's spiritual founder Bentham said, the idea of natural rights is "nonsense upon stilts".
no one has said that they believe there is a natural right to these things so who are you refering to?
Reply 22
I think there should be right, but they can never be inforced. What if someone is imprisoned in a country where it is illegal to voice your opinion against the government? Is it right for an international police force to go in and free them? Is that not an invasion? Trying to make someone go by your beliefs about human rights that they don't agree with by force?

And who is the lucky person to control what rights every human being should have?
Speciez99
no one has said that they believe there is a natural right to these things so who are you refering to?

That's what people mean when they talk about "human rights". They say that we have rights that must be protected etc.
Sanctus
Well, I don't see how it logically follows that just because X amount of countries have signed a UN piece of paper that China has a duty to too.

But I do believe that all people should have a legal right given to them for freedom of speech.

And remember - legal rights have only come to this country since the year 2002 when the Human Rights Act (1998) came into force - before then we Brits had freedoms, but no legally enforceable rights.
the fact that it was signed by the general assembly at the UN General Assembly surely makes it international law
Reply 25
Speciez99
why arent you sure about rights? i mean if you take the universal declaration of human rights it is a remarkable document and i personally dont see any problems with it morally.
I agree entirely with the aims of the UDHR on a practical level.

On a moral level, I just don't really see. Where do rights comes from? Or they natural, god-given? If not, why is anyone automatically deserving of a "right"? Do they apply to animals? If not, isn't to define them on the basis of species entirely arbitrary? How/by whom are they defined? Are they dependent on practicalities? (e.g. in a hypothetical world where there could only be enough food for half the people, would every person still have a right to food?).

As a concept, I'd say they're not too far away from being "nonsense on stilts".

However, as a moral point I completely agree that everyone should get the basics, on the basis that such a distribution would almost certainly lead to increased happiness.

I only limited the aims to try and get some consensus as i thought that if i put down to many demands everyone would shout at me. And the idea you expressed in your last post is what i was trying to get across in my previous post.
Ah, right. Sad to say, it seems that you're going to get a fair few objections, even to this limited suggestion.
Speciez99
the fact that it was signed by the general assembly at the UN General Assembly surely makes it international law

The term "international law" is a little bit misleading - international law so-called is not the same kind of law as national law - it's more akin to customs and coventions. There's a debate whether it really is law.

But even if international law was something more than what it is, that still doesn't generate an ought for China. It would perhaps generate a legal duty, but not a logical or moral duty.
Reply 27
Speciez99

Who gave the general assembly rights to their land? Every government in the world? I doubt it.
Reply 28
Sanctus
One cannot accept evolution and logically believe in human rights.
Please desist from talking nonsense.
llama boy
Please desist from talking nonsense.

How is it nonsense?

Evolution = we've evolved from the animal kingdom, are part of nature. Nature does not give rights.

Human Rights = depends upon the premise that man naturally has rights that must be protected.

They are not compatible theories.
llama boy
I agree entirely with the aims of the UDHR on a practical level.

On a moral level, I just don't really see. Where do rights comes from? Or they natural, god-given? If not, why is anyone automatically deserving of a "right"? Do they apply to animals? If not, isn't to define them on the basis of species entirely arbitrary? How/by whom are they defined? Are they dependent on practicalities? (e.g. in a hypothetical world where there could only be enough food for half the people, would every person still have a right to food?).

As a concept, I'd say they're not too far away from being "nonsense on stilts".

However, as a moral point I completely agree that everyone should get the basics, on the basis that such a distribution would almost certainly lead to increased happiness.

Ah, right. Sad to say, it seems that you're going to get a fair few objections, even to this limited suggestion.
Firstly on the objections i knew there would be some and so in order to actually manage to deal with them i kept it short. Ok i can see the point that you and Santus are stating that there is no justification for these rights. Well what things do you think are justified by nature. You cannot really use God for talking about universal ideas since of the disparities and lack of proof of God.

The fact that they would led to increased happiness is surely reason enought for them to be guarenteed in the world?
Reply 31
Sanctus
How is it nonsense?

Evolution = we've evolved from the animal kingdom, are part of nature. Nature does not give rights.

Human Rights = depends upon the premise that man naturally has rights that must be protected.

They are not compatible theories.
I don't agree that human rights depend on the idea of natural rights.
Speciez99
Firstly on the objections i knew there would be some and so in order to actually manage to deal with them i kept it short. Ok i can see the point that you and Santus are stating that there is no justification for these rights. Well what things do you think are justified by nature. You cannot really use God for talking about universal ideas since of the disparities and lack of proof of God.

The fact that they would led to increased happiness is surely reason enought for them to be guarenteed in the world?

Justification for legal rights? Simple - to evolve to a new level. Not God or nature, but for our own self-advancement.

But there must be a balance between legal rights and democracy (the USA, contrary to popular myth, is not a true democracy, for her unelected judicial elite can strike down any Act of Congress, a body that incarnated the will of the peoplel). I think that the Canadian model is the best - in Canada rights are legally codified BUT they can be changed by a vote of 2/3rds of the Canadian Parliament. That, to me, is the correct balance.
Reply 33
Speciez99
Pretty much, I would say, yeah.
llama boy
I don't agree that human rights depend on the idea of natural rights.

That's what people mean when they talk about "human rights".
Reply 35
Sanctus
That's what people mean when they talk about "human rights".

human rights
pl.n.
The basic rights and freedoms to which all humans are entitled, often held to include the right to life and liberty, freedom of thought and expression, and equality before the law.
No implication of those rights being natural, to me.

Not doubting that a lot a people do believe human rights are natural rights btw, just disputing that the concepts are necessarily linked.
llama boy
No implication of those rights being natural, to me.

No doubting that a lot a people do believe human rights are natural rights btw, just disputing that the concepts are necessarily interlinked.

Oh, I agree that they're not logically linked, but, as you said, in many people's minds they are.
Fly By
i was thinking more about water and food but you could also argue that what good is life if you have no freedom? if you get punished for experssing your views? etc..

Because the experience of life is worth having whatever. Although slavery was terrible, the ancestors of slaves are still alive now. If originally these ancestors had thought "oh life's hell, im popping my clogs" these people wouldn't be here today.

I agree with you that rights and so forth are important for a better quality of life, but even without it there'll still be fighters who want to survive and make life better for themselves or their descendants.

You could argue that the above was a different "survival of the fittest" evolution introduced for homo sapiens. And without basic necessities, they won't survive point blank.

Lol, sorry, bit of a deviation from speciez's original question. Yes, everyone deserves it, and it's going to take a heck of a long time before they all get it due to enormous unshared wealth in the world. I don't see rich countries willingly giving up their rolexs and their porsches so some poor indonesian can have three meals a day.

Latest

Trending

Trending