The Student Room Group

What course would be best for the career path?

I've recently decided that I want to work as criminal intelligence analyst/profiler or similar, but I'm not sure what university courses there are to help with this as there are many forms of courses to do with criminology, sociology and psychology, and I'm not sure what ones would be best for the career path I want. If there is a course that seems to include what I need to get started on the career path the university isn't very good. In case it helps I'm taking A Level History, Psychology, Sociology and a B-Tec Diploma in Business Studies, thanks in advance to anyone who helps :smile:
Original post by nebulasandstuff
I've recently decided that I want to work as criminal intelligence analyst/profiler or similar, but I'm not sure what university courses there are to help with this as there are many forms of courses to do with criminology, sociology and psychology, and I'm not sure what ones would be best for the career path I want. If there is a course that seems to include what I need to get started on the career path the university isn't very good. In case it helps I'm taking A Level History, Psychology, Sociology and a B-Tec Diploma in Business Studies, thanks in advance to anyone who helps :smile:

I'm not really sure if this job exists, most forensic psychologists work in prisons, sitting on parole boards and such, however I think when people are trying to see who will reoffend in a prison setting a simple questionaire works much better than a psychologist :P Anyway I would look into forensic psychology (for which you need a BPS accredited psychology degree).

If criminal profilers do exist (I think its a bigger thing in USA), then i don't think there are many of them!
^^ I think what you're trying to say that the job does exist but in form of a task outlined of another job in a job description.
Original post by Ariana Grande
^^ I think what you're trying to say that the job does exist but in form of a task outlined of another job in a job description.

Forensic psychologists mostly work in prisons though, not really used as much in "solving crimes", which is like more of a fictional job from TV :P (at least from what i know). I don't think england has a equivalent of a FBI behavioural science unit. Forensic psychologists have a role in things like parole hearings -- however as i said earlier, some research suggests that a simple questionaire is better at predicting reoffending than any kind of psychological assessment ha. I dont really know much about what else they do.

Im sure some profiling might be done in teh UK, but its just not a mainstream "job" in the UK. Most people who do this work will be consultants who are either researchers or forensic psychologists-- but again its not common. You have a better chance of being an MP or something :P
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest