The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yea its not like they dont pay the price £££
Reply 2
I wonder how much it costs the N.H.S. to treat not only smokers but people with smoking related ilnesses (i.e. families and people who live with smokers).

Add to this all the time taken off work with smoking related issues (people feeling crap as a result of either smoking or breathing in smoke) and I think we have a good case against.

Anyway some treatement is already refused unless people lose weight or stop smoking.
Reply 3
piginapoke
£9 billion taken in, £2 billion paid out, or thereabouts. So, complete crap, unless you've got £7 billion down the back of the sofa.

Secondhand smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including benzene, formaldehyde, arsenic, ammonia and hydrogen cyanide. The US Environmental Protection Agency has classified environmental tobacco smoke as a known human (class A) carcinogen, and the TUC recently wrote to the European Commission complaining that the continuing exposure of UK employees to secondhand smoke was in breach of the EU’s Carcinogens Directive. The immediate effects of inhaling secondhand smoke include eye irritation, headache, cough, sore throat and nausea. Exposure for just 30 minutes to secondhand smoke has been shown to reduce coronary blood flow. The British Medical Association has estimated that secondhand smoke causes at least 1,000 premature deaths in the UK each year.

It will be banned in enclosed public places, its just a matter of time!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it :biggrin:.
Reply 4
piginapoke
*yawn*

No, as smokers generate mucho funds, much more than it takes to treat them on the NHS.

Maybe all the money made from smoking should be channeled into the NHS the fact remains that it isnt, and as such smokers drain NHS resources.
Reply 5
piginapoke
Smokers are helping to pay for the NHS for non-smokers as well as themselves.

Banned in public you say? Hardly. In restaurants and pubs maybe. Try and stop me lighting up in the street and see what I think about that :tongue:

Was this pre-my edit as I did change it!
Reply 6
piginapoke
Smokers are helping to pay for the NHS for non-smokers as well as themselves.

Banned in public you say? Hardly. In restaurants and pubs maybe. Try and stop me lighting up in the street and see what I think about that :tongue:

I dont like it in clubs and bars I'm asthmatic it ruins my night. But I dont see the problem with in the street where the smoke can disperse.
Reply 7
piginapoke
Lets roll the stats out... smokers cost about £10 each per person per year more than a non smoker to treat. This was on the FOREST website but I can't 'flaming' find it now :tongue:

How can you fully assess the consequences with the effect on non - smokers. I've been to hospital twice this year because my asthma has been made so bad by smoky rooms. I dont smoke since the odd puff as a teenager and student I havent every smoked regularly.
Reply 8
piginapoke
I don't know, it was used as a counterpoint to apparently misleading stats produced by anti-smoking campaigners trying to show that smokers cost the NHS loads. I think the original said something like "smokers cost the NHS X billion", whereas forest were showing that the figure was more or less equivalent to what anyone costs the NHS, smoker or not.

I think it is something difficult to define extending to childhood asthma. My friends boyfriend smokes like a chimney and her kids are now very asthmatic - coincidence? Its difficult to tell isnt it.
i know smoke adversely affects me but I dont know whether that goes for all asthmatics. General health problems it is difficult to know whether unless they are something like cancer they are due to smoking. My dad has health problems now but we dont know whether they are due to him starting smoking at 13 (hes quit now) or just coincidence.
Reply 9
the practical problems with implementing such a policy would be though: do smokers loose the right to all health treatment? just 'smoking related diseases'..? how on earth do you proove these..? there are also genetic links to most etc. & plenty of people get 'smoking related diseases' who have never smoked..

on the same scale..should all overweight people be refused treatment.. should all unfit people? everyone who indulges in potentially dangerous activities like playing sport?

i think the NHS has to be based on need rather than moral judgements or it opens a whole can of worms..
Reply 10
1. Why does Supreme Emporer constantly delete his/her/its posts?
2. This should be in the Debate forum
3. Smoking is bad but it pays my mums wages (as an employee of a government department).
Reply 11
No, because the NHS is the national health service for everyone.
Reply 12
Lord Huntroyde
2. This should be in the Debate forum

If you had started it, you could move it as a subscriber
Reply 13
elpaw
If you had started it, you could move it as a subscriber

Seriously?
Reply 14
Lord Huntroyde
Seriously?

yes, just another benefit of subscribing. you can also close your threads.

(we sound like salesmen, lol :biggrin:)
Reply 15
elpaw
yes, just another benefit of subscribing. you can also close your threads.

(we sound like salesmen, lol :biggrin:)

How do you do it though?
Reply 16
jayrosser2004
Should Smokers Lose The Right To Nhs Treatment?

More to the point, should boring people lose the right to NHS treatment?
Lord Huntroyde
How do you do it though?

Reply 18
Pencil Queen

Merci
Reply 19
There is no proof for smoking causing athsma to develop in children. A much more likely candidate is the reduction in dust and dirt levels in the houses of young children. (Their immune and breathing systems aren't challenged at a young age.) :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending