The Student Room Group

Am I good enough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chewey
Liverpool are an RG and tend to give out offers to those with grades similar to yours, and I've heard they sometimes look past a miss of the grade requirements(ABB) you should have a look :smile:

I hadn't even considered Liverpool! It actually looks quite nice, I think I'll look more into it, thanks!!
Reply 21
Original post by jm9
I hadn't even considered Liverpool! It actually looks quite nice, I think I'll look more into it, thanks!!

No problem :biggrin:
Original post by jm9
I'd rather have them too high than too low. It's quite common to predict one grade above what's achieved at AS - considering I worked at about half my ability last year, I think the C/B is the only unreasonable one I've got there.

An A* should only be predicted if you achieved >90% at AS, and even then you should be careful because A2 is harder than AS. Usually, predicted grades are the same as AS grades, unless you had extenuating circumstances in year 12. Almost everyone says/thinks they could have worked harder...
Reply 23
Original post by anonwinner
An A* should only be predicted if you achieved >90% at AS, and even then you should be careful because A2 is harder than AS. Usually, predicted grades are the same as AS grades, unless you had extenuating circumstances in year 12. Almost everyone says/thinks they could have worked harder...

Yeah, I see your point. I understand how it can seem a bit far-fetched. But English has always been my strongest subject - to justify my A* prediction: I got straight A*s in every Literature and Language module (but one :mad:) during GCSE and 98 UMS in one of the AS exams. I'm going to resit the weaker one (I only skimmed the book for it last time... sincerely regret that now) and while that may hinder my chances slightly, I'm still going to work my arse off for it. Saying you should have worked harder is one thing, actually doing something to change is another. :smile:
Original post by jm9
I don't know whether to go for it or not! :s-smilie: But I guess there's no harm in punching above your weight with one choice, especially if there's other ones to fall back on... eh, the worst that can happen is a rejection and an admissions tutor laughing pitifully at me, might as well go for it!

Go for it.You are capable of getting to UCL!They won't laugh at you mate.Just show them you deserve to be there.Improve your Personal statement.It counts a lot!
Reply 25
Original post by jm9

Also, have you checked out Reading? They do ABB-BBB and they're a top 25 uni, if you get a BBB offer I guess they'd be a good insurance :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by jm9
Yeah, I see your point. I understand how it can seem a bit far-fetched. But English has always been my strongest subject - to justify my A* prediction: I got straight A*s in every Literature and Language module (but one :mad:) during GCSE and 98 UMS in one of the AS exams. I'm going to resit the weaker one (I only skimmed the book for it last time... sincerely regret that now) and while that may hinder my chances slightly, I'm still going to work my arse off for it. Saying you should have worked harder is one thing, actually doing something to change is another. :smile:

GCSE=/=AS/A2 though. I know I would have bombed AS English of any kind but still got A*s in all the modules. You could always take a gap year and re-apply if you're really not happy with the lower uni choices. Best of luck either way
Reply 27
Original post by TVIO
GCSE=/=AS/A2 though. I know I would have bombed AS English of any kind but still got A*s in all the modules. You could always take a gap year and re-apply if you're really not happy with the lower uni choices. Best of luck either way

Yeah I know, it's not really relevant but I put it in there to show that I'm kind of competent at least. And yeah, someone else suggested that too but I just want to go to uni ASAP - I guess it's always an option if I completely muck up A2 though. Thanks :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by jm9
Yeah I know, it's not really relevant but I put it in there to show that I'm kind of competent at least. And yeah, someone else suggested that too but I just want to go to uni ASAP - I guess it's always an option if I completely muck up A2 though. Thanks :smile:

I know what you mean about getting to uni ASAP haha. But it's seriously something to consider. A friend of mine (super intelligent guy) had to take a gap year because of illness in his last exams, and he has to resit his modules. One year isn't that long at all, especially if you get a job or something.
Original post by jm9
I achieved ABDE in my AS levels (English Lit & Lang, Geography, Biology, Chemistry) - hardly spectacular, but that was to be expected. I didn't revise properly, slacked off a bit, treated them like GCSEs... all the usual excuses.

Dropped the E and am also planning to do some resits. My predicted grades are currently A*AC, but I'm in the process of trying to convince my Bio teacher to change it to a B (not going very well so far :rolleyes:). I'm working so much harder than I did last year, though, and I know I'm improving.

I'd like to apply to UCL, KCL, Royal Holloway, Bristol and Nottingham to study Geography. Highest requirement is AAA (UCL) and lowest is ABB (RHUL). My college isn't very high achieving so I suppose that gives me a slight advantage, but my PS isn't really a standout - it just does the job and shows my enthusiasm (I hope).

Please be brutally honest here - am I being too ambitious? I'm mostly drawn to RHUL at the moment, but of course UCL would be a dream (not expecting an offer but I thought I'd try my luck). Is there anyone here who's got into any of these with similar AS grades/predictions? My application's going off next week so this is my last chance to make any changes to my choices.

Thanks! :smile:

If you like RHUL then why not make that your top university, then go for some less ambitious universities. There's no point in applying for UCL tbh... or Bristol as they're really fussy with grades from what I've heard.
Also surely no university will take a D to B prediction seriously?? Remember that just because you're predicted something, doesn't mean you'll get it. Don't underestimate the difficulty of resitting at the same time as all your other exams.
Reply 30
Original post by TVIO
I know what you mean about getting to uni ASAP haha. But it's seriously something to consider. A friend of mine (super intelligent guy) had to take a gap year because of illness in his last exams, and he has to resit his modules. One year isn't that long at all, especially if you get a job or something.

Wow that sucks, but yeah I guess it's not that long. Thing is, if you're spending it waiting for the next year to come around it sounds like it'd drag on forever :frown: But at least it's a chance to earn some money and generally chill out a bit, a break from A levels/exams is always a good thing haha
Original post by BobbieShamrock
If you like RHUL then why not make that your top university, then go for some less ambitious universities. There's no point in applying for UCL tbh... or Bristol as they're really fussy with grades from what I've heard.
Also surely no university will take a D to B prediction seriously?? Remember that just because you're predicted something, doesn't mean you'll get it. Don't underestimate the difficulty of resitting at the same time as all your other exams.

Anything is possible mate :smile:
There's a guy I know who got into Oxford with 2 A's B and a C
Reply 32

I've actually thought about that, it's just I've just heard so many people say "I really regret not applying to..." I mean, I have almost zero chances of them even considering me, but I don't want to be left wondering if maybe I could have got the AAB offer. May as well get rejected and be done with it :redface:

But yeah, I'm scrapping Bristol and going to replace it with a lower university just in case. And the D to B does sound absolutely ludicrous but it can happen! Granted, it's rare, but not impossible. I'm only resitting the coursework (which REALLY dragged my grade down) which is done in class and the first exam, which is the shorter of the two, so it's not completely overwhelming. I'm fairly confident about this now but let's see how I am when June comes around :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by Skill Twix
Anything is possible mate :smile:
There's a guy I know who got into Oxford with 2 A's B and a C

:eek: How the hell did he do that? He must have had an incredible PS, and done like 9029348894 extracurricular activities...
Original post by jm9
I've actually thought about that, it's just I've just heard so many people say "I really regret not applying to..." I mean, I have almost zero chances of them even considering me, but I don't want to be left wondering if maybe I could have got the AAB offer. May as well get rejected and be done with it :redface:

But yeah, I'm scrapping Bristol and going to replace it with a lower university just in case. And the D to B does sound absolutely ludicrous but it can happen! Granted, it's rare, but not impossible. I'm only resitting the coursework (which REALLY dragged my grade down) which is done in class and the first exam, which is the shorter of the two, so it's not completely overwhelming. I'm fairly confident about this now but let's see how I am when June comes around :biggrin:

Of course it's possible! Which is why you should at least apply for RHUL and maybe another from your list :smile: But I think universities would be suspicious if you get predicted a B, whether it's likely you'd get it or not.
Good luck!
Original post by jm9
:eek: How the hell did he do that? He must have had an incredible PS, and done like 9029348894 extracurricular activities...

Not sure about the activities,but his PS was good!
Original post by jm9
Cheers to everyone for the reality check. I'd have looked a right idiot if I'd have applied without asking this first :colondollar:

I think I'll keep KCL (AAB), Royal Holloway (ABB) and Nottingham (AAB). And UCL's website actually says AAA-AAB, but I'm guessing the chances of getting an offer with the latter are quite low. Never really liked it that much anyway, I think I wanted to apply just because of its reputation. When I went to one of their talks at a University of London open day it seemed a bit full-on and extremely hardworking - I get that, but I want to have fun at uni too!

I guess I'll have to get rid of this obsession with RG unis and start looking at some courses with BBB requirements. Thanks again to everyone :biggrin:

Pretty much everyone goes through that Russel Group obsession in the first few months of applying but soon enough you'll start to see that a real world does exist outside of league tables, 'prestige' names and TSR snobs haha. It's really not the most important thing that matters when it comes to uni, no matter what anyone says :-)
Reply 37

I also got a 'D' in Biology AS (High C in ISA, High C in Unit 1, and a low 'D' in Unit 2 - which dropped it down to an overall 'D') So with Unit 2 re-sit and extra hard-work this A2 Year, my teacher predicted me a 'B' for A2. They've said it was possible to even get an 'A' because 7 students got from a 'D' to an 'A' at A2 in the previous year, but I thought that was too optimistic, so I wasn't even going to go there :redface:

When I went to Newcastle Uni Summer School, they said that they've always accepted and considered students who's got low AS and high predictions and the reason is; they understand that students tend to work harder in the 2nd year and that it is most likely that students could go from a 'C' to an 'A' or a 'D' to a 'B'. Although, just to be safe it's different for each universities, students should have chosen universities which has lower entry requirements. :smile:
Original post by jm9
And the D to B does sound absolutely ludicrous but it can happen! Granted, it's rare, but not impossible. I'm only resitting the coursework (which REALLY dragged my grade down) which is done in class and the first exam, which is the shorter of the two, so it's not completely overwhelming. I'm fairly confident about this now but let's see how I am when June comes around :biggrin:

Have you looked at what you need to go from a D to a B? The latter requires an average of 70 over AS/A2, so if you got e.g. 55 at AS and don't improve, you would need 85 at A2. If you can get that example up to, say, 62 with resits then you 'only' need 78 at A2. Assess the chances of similar scenarios coldly, as if you were advising someone else rather than considering yourself.

Original post by jm9
Wow that sucks, but yeah I guess it's not that long. Thing is, if you're spending it waiting for the next year to come around it sounds like it'd drag on forever :frown: But at least it's a chance to earn some money and generally chill out a bit, a break from A levels/exams is always a good thing haha

There is nothing wrong with a gap year if used constructively. However, given your admitted tendency to laziness I'd be worried about the tone of what you wrote here. if you want or have to take a gap year then your PS should make a point of mentioning all the Geography-related things you are doing; it should not give the impression that you are merely 'chilling out'.
Reply 39
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you looked at what you need to go from a D to a B? The latter requires an average of 70 over AS/A2, so if you got e.g. 55 at AS and don't improve, you would need 85 at A2. If you can get that example up to, say, 62 with resits then you 'only' need 78 at A2. Assess the chances of similar scenarios coldly, as if you were advising someone else rather than considering yourself.

There is nothing wrong with a gap year if used constructively. However, given your admitted tendency to laziness I'd be worried about the tone of what you wrote here. if you want or have to take a gap year then your PS should make a point of mentioning all the Geography-related things you are doing; it should not give the impression that you are merely 'chilling out'.

Yeah, my aim is to improve my resit grades as much as possible so it puts less pressure on my A2 exams.

And yes, I agree! "Chill out" as an, have a break from the stress and anxiety that comes with exams. It's not like I would expect to be lying in bed doing nothing all year. Getting a job would definitely be my main concern - there are a million things I'd love to do in a gap year but it all comes down to money, i.e. my lack of it. I'd still have a look for any opportunities that could relate to geography but it really limits my options. At least it gives me something to think about. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending