The Student Room Group

University worries

I'm a first year student and I'm finding staying on top of the workload incredibly difficult.

By nature, I'm not incredibly "bright" but have choesn to go to university regardless. During year 12 I had no plans for university nor a future, to be honest. After recieving my AS grades, I thought university might be a posibility so I started researching potential career paths. I've been working towards my career goals ever since. Now I'm at university, I feel as though everyone understands much quicker than me. For instance we have a module on financial mathematics and although I understand what we've learned so far, I've spent nearly all the time I have outside of lectures doing questions after questions attempting to wrap my head around understanding the formulas, methods etc..

I've actually had no time for anything else but studying. Even on the weekends I get up at 8am and study till about 9-10pm and it's just so stressful when you're spending all day trying to understand something that was gone through the lectures in 10 minutes. Or during our micro economics module, even though I got A* at A level, this is just foreign the extent I don't even understand what the text book is on about. I am worried I might not even make a 2:1, let alone a first and it's killing me inside.

Was I ahead of myself for even going to university.. :confused: At A level I did alright but through consistent non-stop studying. At university, I'm trying to do the same but it's just 100x harder, and this is just year 1. Again, I'm not naturally intellegent, in comparison to some individuals on my course.

I don't even know what I'm asking, should I drop out, just stick to it, study more? Any advice? :frown:

I do have extra currics, I'm Student Ambassador and I'm on the board of directors for a society.

TL;DR: University is bloody hard and the work is overwhelming whilst I'm in first years, what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonynous
I'm a first year student and I'm finding staying on top of the workload incredibly difficult.

By nature, I'm not incredibly "bright" but have choesn to go to university regardless. During year 12 I had no plans for university nor a future, to be honest. After recieving my AS grades, I thought university might be a posibility so I started researching potential career paths. I've been working towards my career goals ever since. Now I'm at university, I feel as though everyone understands much quicker than me. For instance we have a module on financial mathematics and although I understand what we've learned so far, I've spent nearly all the time I have outside of lectures doing questions after questions attempting to wrap my head around understanding the formulas, methods etc..

I've actually had no time for anything else but studying. Even on the weekends I get up at 8am and study till about 9-10pm and it's just so stressful when you're spending all day trying to understand something that was gone through the lectures in 10 minutes. Or during our micro economics module, even though I got A* at A level, this is just foreign the extent I don't even understand what the text book is on about. I am worried I might not even make a 2:1, let alone a first and it's killing me inside.

Was I ahead of myself for even going to university.. :confused: At A level I did alright but through consistent non-stop studying. At university, I'm trying to do the same but it's just 100x harder, and this is just year 1. Again, I'm not naturally intellegent, in comparison to some individuals on my course.

I don't even know what I'm asking, should I drop out, just stick to it, study more? Any advice? :frown:

I do have extra currics, I'm Student Ambassador and I'm on the board of directors for a society.

TL;DR: University is bloody hard and the work is overwhelming whilst I'm in first years, what to do?

The best advice i've ever been given is you dont study for a degree you read for it. I think maybe you need to engage with student/library services re effective studying because they may be able to advise you on better studying methods that dont take as much time up.

Good luck x
Original post by Mimsycrafts
The best advice i've ever been given is you dont study for a degree you read for it. I think maybe you need to engage with student/library services re effective studying because they may be able to advise you on better studying methods that dont take as much time up.

Good luck x

What does this mean?
What does this mean?

It means essentially in a lecture you get the basics of an idea, its up to you to go out and read up as much or as little as you want on the subject.

The idea is the more studying you do the more you get out of your degree.

But i do think the amount of studying your having to do is excessive so with the right support you might find better ways of studying.
Reply 4

I am 3rd (final) year at Queens, Belfast studying/reading Medicinal Chemistry. Since the start of first year I have done the exact same as you- studying really early in the morning using every hour between class and to 10pm at night. I managed a 2:2 in 1st year.

2nd year the exact same situation and got 49 average. Thought I was on track for a 2:2 I basically couldn't do anymore work.

3rd year now desperate for a 2:2. Its annoying for me sometimes seeing people post photos of them at nightclubs while I'm stuck reading or completing work. I always got told I was studying too much but if I didnt work as hard as I do I would fail.

Are you understanding the content after you engage in private study?
I feel you brudda
Original post by cdoyle
I am 3rd (final) year at Queens, Belfast studying/reading Medicinal Chemistry. Since the start of first year I have done the exact same as you- studying really early in the morning using every hour between class and to 10pm at night. I managed a 2:2 in 1st year.

2nd year the exact same situation and got 49 average. Thought I was on track for a 2:2 I basically couldn't do anymore work.

3rd year now desperate for a 2:2. Its annoying for me sometimes seeing people post photos of them at nightclubs while I'm stuck reading or completing work. I always got told I was studying too much but if I didnt work as hard as I do I would fail.

Are you understanding the content after you engage in private study?

Yes, albeit it takes a long time.
Personally Im ****ing done with University. Iv'e had enough.
Original post by R Dragon
x

Hopefully some sound advice comes along.
Original post by WILLMUSIC88
Personally Im ****ing done with University. Iv'e had enough.

Could you give a brief summary of your background, year of study and why?
I know people say you get better results from working harder but I tend to disagree. Reading/studying for hours on end day after day is neither effective nor realistic and it's usually the people who say they do this who tend to struggle. During that period of time there's only so much that your brain is going to take in. What you have to get good at is actually discerning the relevant from the irrelevant and picking out the bits of information that matter the most or are most fundamental to you understanding a topic/concept. It's a skill of sorts. This is what those annoying 'I only revised a week before the exam' people do - the ones who still manage to bag good results. If you're getting a book from the library and literally reading it from front to back then you're doing it wrong.
Basically mate I'm in my first year of my course. It's not what I expected it to be at all, its extremely bland/boring and I have no desire whatsoever to get up in the mornings to go to lectures. Im not a fan of the whole 'university lifestyle' and Ive pretty much made 0 friends since starting 6 weeks ago. Im just extremely unmotivated, and I didn't even know If I wanted to go to uni in the first place. If I do this for 3/4 years I'll probably have a mental breakdown aha. Ill probably be leaving and reapplying for something else next year (which definitely won't be university).
Hopefully some sound advice comes along.

I think one of the biggest things I've learnt since first year is that working more efficiently is more productive than working for long hours.

At the start of Uni I was working very hard, if I was given a 40 page article to read I would read it very thoroughly and take notes more or less for the sake of taking notes because I thought that's what you're meant to do right?

Well you don't. If your reading a chapter ask your self:
What am I trying to gain from this chapter?
How much of it is relevant to the question I am trying to answer?
How relevant is it to my exam?

You will quickly discover that not only can you work more efficiently this way but you will end up tailoring your studying to your exam.

Work with an aim in mind. If you need to understand Chapter 7 and it really isn't helping that your reading a textbook thats 50 pages a topic then look around for other textbooks and even look to Wikipedia if it will help you understand or topic better than the textbook.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 13

What sort of degree are you doing and how is it assessed?
It comes off as if you've picked the wrong course.
Original post by Tbx
What sort of degree are you doing and how is it assessed?

Undergraduate degree? BSc

assessed via exams

Original post by Dilzo999
It comes off as if you've picked the wrong course.

I enjoy the course. It's just difficult.
Undergraduate degree? BSc

assessed via exams

I enjoy the course. It's just difficult.

You said that you work from 8am-10pm which is a ridiculous amount of time so it appears that your revision techniques might be a bit inefficient. Try talking to your tutor/lecturers there should be office hours where you can book and talk to them if you're finding it difficult.
Original post by Dilzo999
You said that you work from 8am-10pm which is a ridiculous amount of time so it appears that your revision techniques might be a bit inefficient. Try talking to your tutor/lecturers there should be office hours where you can book and talk to them if you're finding it difficult.

Are they going to make it less difficult? I don't understand. The content I need to learn will still stay the same.
Are they going to make it less difficult? I don't understand. The content I need to learn will still stay the same.

Speak to some second/third year students if you can to see if your revision plan matches up with how much effort they were putting in. If it does then I guess your just doing a really tough degree however, more likely is that despite the degree being tough you aren't making the most effective use of your time.

They may be able to give you tips and guide you regarding the amount of studying that you should be doing to get a 2.1/1st.

Like Smaug said, they'd be able to give you advice none of us can give as it's they're teaching it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending