The Student Room Group

Not sure if I would want to move for uni or not

I've still got a year or two until I apply for uni (depends on whether I do a gap year), but I'd rather just start making some things clear so I won't stress myself out when decision-making time comes.

I'm not really sure whether a campus or city uni would be best for me, because I love the city feel of London, but I also feel as if living in a campus would be good for me.
But the problem also is that, if I chose to stay in London - therefore opting to go to a city uni - I wouldn't choose to leave home simply to save money. But the transport to the lectures and such would be expensive. And I also really want to move out, but if it was cheaper for me not to, I honestly would suffer staying at home.
I feel as if that would save me a lot of money, plus the unis here aren't bad.

However, if I moved out I'd go to a different city and therefore stay in the halls, and I'd be more independent but also have to pay for more things myself. What I'm not too clear on, is if the accommodation is different for city/campus unis. As far as I understand, in a campus it'd be a short walk to a lecture or whatever, whilst in a city one, I might have to use public transport.

I know there's no really clear question here, I was just wondering if anyone had advice which would help me choose, or if anyone had any information regarding accommodation and the student halls. Is it fair to say that it wouldn't turn out to be more expensive than commuting every day around London?

Sorry for the rambling, just any advice would be helpful. I'm not being too specific because I've still got some time to make a decision, so, yeah, I'm just trying to clear things up still.
If you were travelling in to London it would be much cheaper to get a monthly travel card on your oyster, then you also would not have to feel guilty about leaving home. Its fairly cheap really compared to the other costs of living here, which as I am guessing you are talking about your parental home you would not have to worry about anyway. Now there is zero chance that moving anywhere else will be cheaper than London travel costs.
Its always best to move out if you can. You only get half the university experience otherwise.

Uni is something you only do once in your life: best to do it properly.

I would also leave London, the rest of the country is much nicer.
I really would recommend moving out it really is a good experience not only do you gain some independence but you are more "in university" rather than "going to university" and yes these are different things (you go to school).

Socially moving out is better even if you don't get on with your hall mates living out really enables you bro make friends and take part in things like nights out and sporting events.

Halls usually are very close to the uni city universities have halls usually the centre of the city or what I cal the uni hub usually a place that houses the Union students advice etc etc there are also free bus services that some city universities run as often buildings are spread out over the city within a largish area although your lectures are often in 1 building but you may need to visit other buildings at times like if a fire breaks out and burns down some of your rooms or labs but for the main part it'll be in the same area.

A campus uni is a little different it has everything on 1 site. If you look at Herts or Southampton those are a pretty good Examples they have clubs Pizza places shops numerous places to eat banks and some halls on campus others are in the city they some also have a very reliable bus service if your in their halls off campus.

As for travel costs it can be more expensive to commute and often is quite time consuming it can impact your study time and social life both of which would take away from it a bit it's also exhausting.

Really I would say move out it's much better on all fronts.
I'd advise to stay at home....More civilized of course if that socializing aspect is important for you and you don't mind the chaotic nature of some halls then go for it :smile: To each his own.
Reply 5
Original post by Mathlover123
If you were travelling in to London it would be much cheaper to get a monthly travel card on your oyster, then you also would not have to feel guilty about leaving home. Its fairly cheap really compared to the other costs of living here, which as I am guessing you are talking about your parental home you would not have to worry about anyway. Now there is zero chance that moving anywhere else will be cheaper than London travel costs.

I think I could also risk walking to uni as the one I might apply to in the city wouldn't be too far from where I live, so I'd save money if I did that even a couple times a week. And yeah, I'd say with a parent.

Original post by stoltguyboo
I'd advise to stay at home....More civilized of course if that socializing aspect is important for you and you don't mind the chaotic nature of some halls then go for it :smile: To each his own.

Thank you for the replies, I think I'm going to have UCL or another London uni as one of my five options, just so I have the option if I wanted it. :smile:

Original post by cole-slaw
Its always best to move out if you can. You only get half the university experience otherwise.

Uni is something you only do once in your life: best to do it properly.

I would also leave London, the rest of the country is much nicer.

Yeah, I mean it's sort of halfway between moving out but without jumping into the deep end, but instead going at it slowly, if that even makes sense. I might as well go all out.

Original post by jonathanemptage
I really would recommend moving out it really is a good experience not only do you gain some independence but you are more "in university" rather than "going to university" and yes these are different things (you go to school).

Socially moving out is better even if you don't get on with your hall mates living out really enables you bro make friends and take part in things like nights out and sporting events.

Halls usually are very close to the uni city universities have halls usually the centre of the city or what I cal the uni hub usually a place that houses the Union students advice etc etc there are also free bus services that some city universities run as often buildings are spread out over the city within a largish area although your lectures are often in 1 building but you may need to visit other buildings at times like if a fire breaks out and burns down some of your rooms or labs but for the main part it'll be in the same area.

A campus uni is a little different it has everything on 1 site. If you look at Herts or Southampton those are a pretty good Examples they have clubs Pizza places shops numerous places to eat banks and some halls on campus others are in the city they some also have a very reliable bus service if your in their halls off campus.

As for travel costs it can be more expensive to commute and often is quite time consuming it can impact your study time and social life both of which would take away from it a bit it's also exhausting.

Really I would say move out it's much better on all fronts.

I would probably go to a campus university mainly because I'd get lost otherwise. But yeah, I feel as if I'd be more immersed in uni life living on campus. I would also benefit by having people down the hall to talk to and stuff... Yeah. Plus I'd lose time commuting even if it was half an hour.

Thank you for the reply though, both of you :smile:
Original post by vindruvor
I
I would probably go to a campus university mainly because I'd get lost otherwise. But yeah, I feel as if I'd be more immersed in uni life living on campus. I would also benefit by having people down the hall to talk to and stuff... Yeah. Plus I'd lose time commuting even if it was half an hour.

You do find your way in the end I had to learn the way to uni then I kind of had a radius from the university that i kind of extended until i knew my way from Dock Gate 4 to The Common (miles and miles)so knew my way around Southampton pretty well (but I never figured out where Portswood was)
Reply 7
as others have said, move out. you will not get the university experience otherwise. and halls are amazing!!
Original post by vindruvor

I really wouldn't recommend reducing your uni options on this premise, if you go to a city university the vast majority will have different buildings (though often still close together) for different faculties, so you in all likelihood would only need to use one building or cluster of buildings near each other and the halls would be located near that cluster of buildings, and other halls for other faculties would be near the other buildings. I recommend looking mainly into the course you want to do and then finding out what universities do that course and then from there see what kind of campuses they are, if it's a city or a campus uni ect, then if you can in the future see if you can visit and get a feel for the city and how close everything is to where the halls and lectures would be.

Also another thing, campus living isn't for everyone, I personally would have gone crazy living in a campus uni as you can feel more isolated (one I was considering) it is often more expensive to live in campus as well as there are less housing and shopping options.
(edited 9 years ago)
I loved all the campus unis I went to visit & hated the city ones but before I actually went to visit, I thought it'd be the other way around. So definitely make sure to visit at least one of each to get a feel for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending