The Student Room Group

£0.00 student finance for a 3 year course after previously leaving one year

Hey guys, not sure if I should be putting this here or in the England board specifically...

Just a quick question on behalf of my girlfriend.

Previously she was enrolled in a criminology course, however she left part way through the first year after realising it wasn't for hee. Recently she has decided that she want to go back to do a three year nursing course. She has received her student finance letter and it states that she will be getting £0.00 tuition fee.

I don't see how this is the case. As far as I know, when u return to uni, you should get the years of the new course, plus a bonus year, minus any years previously completed. In her case that's 3-1+1, so she should get the full three years.

She has said that she has not fully completed her application and that she still needs to send of a personal statment and a reference. Is this the likely cause for the lack of funds? She said she will reapply after finalising all application docs.

If you believe the lack of funds could be because of another reason, please let me know what it is and any possible solutions.

Thank you.
Original post by samb444
Hey guys, not sure if I should be putting this here or in the England board specifically...

Just a quick question on behalf of my girlfriend.

Previously she was enrolled in a criminology course, however she left part way through the first year after realising it wasn't for hee. Recently she has decided that she want to go back to do a three year nursing course. She has received her student finance letter and it states that she will be getting £0.00 tuition fee.

I don't see how this is the case. As far as I know, when u return to uni, you should get the years of the new course, plus a bonus year, minus any years previously completed. In her case that's 3-1+1, so she should get the full three years.

She has said that she has not fully completed her application and that she still needs to send of a personal statment and a reference. Is this the likely cause for the lack of funds? She said she will reapply after finalising all application docs.

If you believe the lack of funds could be because of another reason, please let me know what it is and any possible solutions.

Thank you.

If she hasn't applied via UCAS yet, then how can Student finance determine the amount, etc or even apply to student finance yet
Reply 2
Nursing courses are funded by the NHS so you don't pay tuition fees, are you sure this is why it says 0.00, as they may not put it through at all as the tuition fees are already funded.
(edited 9 years ago)
NHS courses don't have tuition fees because the NHS pays for it?
I think the above two posters are correct. Your girlfriend is entitled to half the non-income based maintenance loan plus bursary from the NHS.
I'm currently in my 2nd year of a nursing degree so may be able to shed some light. If its her 1st nhs course, there are no tuition fees so £0.00 is correct :smile:

We get £2324 in maintenance loan (if you live away from home, outside london) and an income-based bursary from the NHS (which is based on your parents income if under 25, or your own & spouse's income if over 25 ,or, have been estranged from your parents for 3 consecutive years)
Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Fantastic, thanks guys, u have put her mind at ease :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending