The Student Room Group

Job fairs a waste of time

I think they are waste of time as the companies there are not hiring on the spot and just there to promote and show off how good the company is and just give out freebies and saying how great to work for them and all they say is apply online but when it comes to applying you get rejected instantly wasting time to job fair

I think the job fair system should be overhaul with companies promising to hire on the spot and talk to people there and give them your CV and promise to interview and at least interview or hire people for internships/work experience on the spot then give them a job there whole point is to gets job

anyone can go to job fair and get freebies and talk to people or network and boast how great the company is to work for but can you get a job there NO so waste of time
Original post by tmckinnin56
I think they are waste of time as the companies there are not hiring on the spot and just there to promote and show off how good the company is and just give out freebies and saying how great to work for them and all they say is apply online but when it comes to applying you get rejected instantly wasting time to job fair

I think the job fair system should be overhaul with companies promising to hire on the spot and talk to people there and give them your CV and promise to interview and at least interview or hire people for internships/work experience on the spot then give them a job there whole point is to gets job

anyone can go to job fair and get freebies and talk to people or network and boast how great the company is to work for but can you get a job there NO so waste of time

moved to careers :smile:
Anything that provides me with a free pen is not a waste of my time.

In saying that, I've never been to a job fair because I personally feel they are a waste of my time, as I'm never interested in the companies they have.
Reply 3

Sounds like you'd be rejected on the spot at a careers fair as opposed to at home on your computer - what'd be the difference?

For my grad job I went through assessments totaling 14 hours. I don't see how that could be done 'on the spot'.

As someone who has attended career fairs on either sides of the desk, the whole point is to ask questions to find out which places suit what you want to do. To find out what types of roles people do, future prospects and training opportunities.
Original post by Quady
Sounds like you'd be rejected on the spot at a careers fair as opposed to at home on your computer - what'd be the difference?

For my grad job I went through assessments totaling 14 hours. I don't see how that could be done 'on the spot'.

As someone who has attended career fairs on either sides of the desk, the whole point is to ask questions to find out which places suit what you want to do. To find out what types of roles people do, future prospects and training opportunities.

but anyone can go these places to get information and say how good the employer is and how good each role but when it comes to applying online get instant rejection no shame waste of time
You'll find that most things in life are a waste of time. But I agree, job fayres are high on the list of uselessness.
Reply 6
but anyone can go these places to get information and say how good the employer is and how good each role but when it comes to applying online get instant rejection no shame waste of time

Soooo apply before you go....?

Not always, I was talking to people at British Sugar and in my application I mentioned I had spoken to XYZ at the job fair and when I got through to the next round they said it was because they remembered me and how I was very approachable.

Found grad fairs really useful as it allows you to see the type of person who works there. Something that google can't always spot.
Reply 9
You're not doing it right if you think job fairs are useless...

It might be best for you to google how to prepare for job fairs, and how to use it to your advantage on your cover letter / interviews.

Typically, you should research the company beforehand, focus on people who'll be making the hiring decision (so not grads. who just started on the job), throw names and insight gained on your cover letter, and in the interviews, leverage your job fair experience by making the conversations you had then personal, ie. how talking to ABC about XYZ makes you think you'll be suited for the role / motivated you to apply.

Hope it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending