The Student Room Group

!!!!Drama !!!! Help

I want to do Drama or performing arts when I go to A level and then proceed to do it at uni, where ever that might be . So i thought it would be good if i went to a drama group to sort of get a sense of what it would be like to enhance my acting skill i am naturally talented practical wise, but my parents say do your Gcse then we will see if we can afford to let you go , even though they got the money. I was wondering is going to a drama group really important and if so what sort of things do you do ? please help ^-^
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by payjay
I want to do Drama or performing arts when I go to A level and then proceed to do it at uni, where ever that might be . So i thought it would be good if i went to a drama group to sort of get a sense of what it would be like to enhance my acting skill i am naturally talented practical wise, but my parents say do your Gcse then we will see if we can afford to let you go , even though they got the money. I was wondering is going to a drama group really important and if so what sort of things do you do ? please help ^-^

I do drama! Well I did at a2 and I do extra stuff like local theatre productions and am a member of the nyt (if you want to to drama I recommend auditioning for the nyt). So I recommended the nyt although you do have to pay £30 to audition and the course if you get in is like £500 for two weeks - but then you are a member till you are 25. Try and audition for local theatre productions - details are usually in their website and you don't pay usually. In my experience gcse and a level are very different to drama groups outside school. Because at school you do theory and the practical stuff is less fun in my opinion. Where as out of school you tend to work towards a proper show at the end - whether it be a well known musical or play. Do you like singing? Also getting involved in school plays is a good way as you don't pay anything usually. Hope this has helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by flutterby-x303
I do drama! Well I did at a2 and I do extra stuff like local theatre productions and am a member of the nyt (if you want to to drama I recommend auditioning for the nyt). So I recommended the nyt although you do have to pay £30 to audition and the course if you get in is like £500 for two weeks - but then you are a member till you are 25. Try and audition for local theatre productions - details are usually in their website and you don't pay usually. In my experience gcse and a level are very different to drama groups outside school. Because at school you do theory and the practical stuff is less fun in my opinion. Where as out of school you tend to work towards a proper show at the end - whether it be a well known musical or play. Do you like singing? Also getting involved in school plays is a good way as you don't pay anything usually. Hope this has helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks but i should have probadly mentioned i am from magherafelt . NI and Drama groups are usually like 2 hours away.I can't sing at the moment, but i was looking to do speech and drama, and maybe even vocal performing ? do you know anything about this that may help?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by payjay
thanks but i should have probadly mentioned i am from magherafelt . NI and Drama groups are usually like 2 hours away.I can't sing at the moment, but i was looking to do speech and drama, and maybe even vocal performing ? do you know anything about this that may help?

Ah okay! Well I don't know what there is in Ireland but LAMDA exams could be an option? I did these through my school but there are teachers outside school that can offer LAMDA tuition. It's like private music lessons but in speech and drama.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ah okay! Well I don't know what there is in Ireland but LAMDA exams could be an option? I did these through my school but there are teachers outside school that can offer LAMDA tuition. It's like private music lessons but in speech and drama.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I have started doing speech and drama , Is it normal just to go straight into a grade 6 ?
Original post by payjay
Thanks I have started doing speech and drama , Is it normal just to go straight into a grade 6 ?

Well I went up to grade 6 and did every grade except grade 2. I think it depends on your ability. To be honest if you are good you could just go to grade 6. I knew people who weren't anything special and they started at grade 3. Ask your speech and drama teacher which grade would be best for you to start at :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm from NI and I did some stuff with LAMDA, that was many years ago though. A tutor came into my primary school and ran through stuff before I did the exam. I'd imagine there are still a fair few tutors about :smile:
Reply 7
Well I went up to grade 6 and did every grade except grade 2. I think it depends on your ability. To be honest if you are good you could just go to grade 6. I knew people who weren't anything special and they started at grade 3. Ask your speech and drama teacher which grade would be best for you to start at :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

she is starting me at grade 6 . :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending