The Student Room Group

Should I take economics as an A level?

I’m about to go into year 12 and I have picked my A-levels (German, maths, drama) but I’m thinking about changing from drama to economics because it might be more interesting and beneficial for me as drama isn’t really regarded as very academic. My only concerns are that economics might get boring, repetitive and too much essay writing, whereas I know that drama is quite fun and relaxed and I have a scholarship for it, so a pretty easy A. Should I drop drama and take economics?
Original post by flyingfrog123
I’m about to go into year 12 and I have picked my A-levels (German, maths, drama) but I’m thinking about changing from drama to economics because it might be more interesting and beneficial for me as drama isn’t really regarded as very academic. My only concerns are that economics might get boring, repetitive and too much essay writing, whereas I know that drama is quite fun and relaxed and I have a scholarship for it, so a pretty easy A. Should I drop drama and take economics?

You shouldnt find econ boring unless you hate it. Yes, economics is always regarded as an academic subject for universities but it depends if you want to go to a russell group( consists of top 20 prestigious UK unis just in case you didnt know), otherwise it shouldnt really matter. It might be better if you get an A in drama rather than C in econ (Idk u might be an A* student im just assuming).

You need to tell a bit more about yourself like your uni, career plans?

Don't take Economics instead of Drama. It seems like your main reason for taking it is that it is more 'useful', when in reality, you prefer the idea of A-Level Drama. At the end of the day, the grade is more important, so choose subjects you know you will be successful in and that have a general direction towards degrees you like.

If you are actually interested in the content and course structure of A-Level Economics, then swap another one of your subjects for it, but if not, then don't.
Reply 3
Original post by Shubham9548
You shouldnt find econ boring unless you hate it. Yes, economics is always regarded as an academic subject for universities but it depends if you want to go to a russell group( consists of top 20 prestigious UK unis just in case you didnt know), otherwise it shouldnt really matter. It might be better if you get an A in drama rather than C in econ (Idk u might be an A* student im just assuming).

You need to tell a bit more about yourself like your uni, career plans?

I’m still unsure about my career plans but I would like to go to a Russel group uni like Durham
Reply 4
Original post by SagaciousSag
Don't take Economics instead of Drama. It seems like your main reason for taking it is that it is more 'useful', when in reality, you prefer the idea of A-Level Drama. At the end of the day, the grade is more important, so choose subjects you know you will be successful in and that have a general direction towards degrees you like.

If you are actually interested in the content and course structure of A-Level Economics, then swap another one of your subjects for it, but if not, then don't.

Thanks for answering, this is helpful. I just don’t see myself going into acting or a performing arts uni in the future so I’m not sure if I should do drama.
A Russell group uni won’t care whether you did Econ or Drama. Not even economics courses ask for it at A-Level.

Do which you enjoy and are likely to get the best grade in.
Reply 6

I’m still unsure about my career plans but I would like to go to a Russel group uni like Durham

I’m interested in the fashion industry in terms of my career so I was thinking of doing an EPQ to do with fashion either way and maybe make an artefact to show creativity even if I swap to econ
Reply 7
Econ A Level is largely a waste of time. Econ departments at universities generally don't like it and would rather you had maths.

Quick Reply

Latest