The Student Room Group

1 month of vehicle tax

I'm at Uni at the moment and I've left my car at home. The insurance for it lasts until the end of January, but the tax ran out a while ago (it's SORNed at the moment and stored on a relative's driveway at home).

When I go home for Christmas, I want to be able to use the car without having to waste money on 6 months/1 years worth of tax for no reason. I've noticed that the DVLA now allow you to pay for a years worth of tax in monthly instalments.

So my question here is, am I able to set up the direct debit for a years worth of monthly payments and then just cancel it after Christmas so I only pay for the one month that I'm home? Or will I end up having to pay all of the instalments with no way out (entirely pointless).

Thanks guys. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
You can claim back whole unused months of tax if you pay for 6/12 months. So I imagine, as long as you cancel the tax itself (not just the direct debit), you should be able to pay for just 1 month.
Original post by rmhumphries
You can claim back whole unused months of tax if you pay for 6/12 months. So I imagine, as long as you cancel the tax itself (not just the direct debit), you should be able to pay for just 1 month.

I did a bit more digging and that sounds about right. Thanks very much!! :smile: I'm going to give the DVLA a ring tomorrow to double check but it sounds like it should be all good. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending