The Student Room Group

A level and Uni Help Thanks.

[INDENT]Jeez. So right now i'm doing my GCSE's, tbh they seem like a joke. Honestly if I had a choice i'd drop everything right now and just study maths,economics,physics and business. They're all I care about anyway. BUT I can't...

ON TOPIC:
So I was curious how much do these ugly things actually count for? So my first question is this:

When applying to a university how much of a % will A-Levels count for and how much of a % will GCSE's count for? So what will be the overruling factor?
I find my other subjects boring and therefore near impossible to study I only want to scrape B's in everything and of course would love the juicy A's in maths,physics etc.

But would that be consider as not putting work in? "Slacking?". I couldn't care less how environmentally friendly Britain is and I'm pretty sure my future employer won't either. But how effective will my GCSE's be in determining my life considering I want to go to Oxford or an equivalent and get straight A's if not A*'s in my A levels?

Thanks and all the best! Also would love to hear REAL life examples! Thank you very much.

TL;DR: How much of an effect does GCSE grades have on your life?

Original post by Calzs34

Jeez. So right now i'm doing my GCSE's, tbh they seem like a joke. Honestly if I had a choice i'd drop everything right now and just study maths,economics,physics and business. They're all I care about anyway. BUT I can't...

ON TOPIC:
So I was curious how much do these ugly things actually count for? So my first question is this:

When applying to a university how much of a % will A-Levels count for and how much of a % will GCSE's count for? So what will be the overruling factor?
I find my other subjects boring and therefore near impossible to study I only want to scrape B's in everything and of course would love the juicy A's in maths,physics etc.

But would that be consider as not putting work in? "Slacking?". I couldn't care less how environmentally friendly Britain is and I'm pretty sure my future employer won't either. But how effective will my GCSE's be in determining my life considering I want to go to Oxford or an equivalent and get straight A's if not A*'s in my A levels?

Thanks and all the best! Also would love to hear REAL life examples! Thank you very much.

tl;dr GCSEs have basically 0 affect on your life post uni (in most cases)

Although good grades will help you get into a good uni, keep in mind that A-levels are much much more important
Reply 2
Original post by Calzs34

Jeez. So right now i'm doing my GCSE's, tbh they seem like a joke. Honestly if I had a choice i'd drop everything right now and just study maths,economics,physics and business. They're all I care about anyway. BUT I can't...

ON TOPIC:

If you're wanting to go to Oxford then your GCSEs are significant and you'll need numerous A*s.
Original post by katie780
If you're wanting to go to Oxford then your GCSEs are significant and you'll need numerous A*s.

Thanks, so I guess I will have to put the effort in. You say numerous I am currently taking 11 GCSE's what would be a sufficient number of A*s?
Original post by Calzs34
Thanks, so I guess I will have to put the effort in. You say numerous I am currently taking 11 GCSE's what would be a sufficient number of A*s?

Original post by R Dragon

n+1, hmm.
Original post by Calzs34
n+1, hmm.

Haha, I was just kidding xD

Sorry, had to do it!
Original post by R Dragon
Haha, I was just kidding xD

Sorry, had to do it!

Lol, no worries if you weren't i'd be severely concerned :P
Reply 8
Original post by Calzs34

Have you looked at entry requirements for your course? I'm not an expert on the subject, perhaps people on an Oxford thread would be, but I know for a course such as medicine you need something like 7 A*s at least.
For Oxford, you are expected to have a GCSE profile of mostly A* and A's.

For everywhere else, 5A*-C inc. Eng and Maths is fine. However, it's beneficial to have at least B's in Eng, Maths, Sciences and a Language, as that will keep you in the running for top uni's inc. UCL

Quick Reply

Latest