The Student Room Group

Driving test tomorrow need help !

I've got my first driving test on Wednesday at 9.07 in isleworth, is it going to be busy at this time? I'm a decent driver so the test shouldn't be too bad but I'm terrible at the reverse round a corner hope it doesn't come up Any tips would be helpful as I'm very nervous
Reply 1
Busy, but you will be crawling along and have a reasonable amount of thinking time. Roundabouts/junctions can be annoying tho! Guess in London it will be busy anyway.
I did mine at 8.10, and it lasted for a good 50 minutes. Guess he just had a preplanned route that he was sticking to it as long as it took.
My first (failed) test was also at that time and it was much shorter but maybe she cut it short as I made my serious error near the start!

I've been told you can go forward twice on reverse round the corner to straighten up. Either way keep an eye so you don't go out over the other lane. On most medium angle ones 1 full turn should do you. I always used that as the guideline and adjusted it as I went along (SLOW, REMEMBER OBSERVATIONS).
Think of the really sharp ones like bay parks ie pretty much full lock.
The more practice the better. Midway through a manoeuvre I found it can be tempting to over adjust and confuse yourself with how many turns the wheel has done. As you practise you learn to recognise the stages.
If you drive well normally just relax and go with the flow :smile:

Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by burgerrr
Busy, but you will be crawling along and have a reasonable amount of thinking time. Roundabouts/junctions can be annoying tho! Guess in London it will be busy anyway.
I did mine at 8.10, and it lasted for a good 50 minutes. Guess he just had a preplanned route that he was sticking to it as long as it took.
My first (failed) test was also at that time and it was much shorter but maybe she cut it short as I made my serious error near the start!

I've been told you can go forward twice on reverse round the corner to straighten up. Either way keep an eye so you don't go out over the other lane. On most medium angle ones 1 full turn should do you. I always used that as the guideline and adjusted it as I went along (SLOW, REMEMBER OBSERVATIONS).
Think of the really sharp ones like bay parks ie pretty much full lock.
The more practice the better. Midway through a manoeuvre I found it can be tempting to over adjust and confuse yourself with how many turns the wheel has done. As you practise you learn to recognise the stages.
If you drive well normally just relax and go with the flow :smile:

Good luck!!

Thanks, practiced some more round the corner with my instructor. Should be alright. What was your serious fault for?
Original post by Lazerjazer
I've got my first driving test on Wednesday at 9.07 in isleworth, is it going to be busy at this time? I'm a decent driver so the test shouldn't be too bad but I'm terrible at the reverse round a corner hope it doesn't come up Any tips would be helpful as I'm very nervous

That's the best time of the day to go for it. I did mine at that time and passed with four minors. The best tip is just to stay calm and just drive. Make sure you know how to correct a manoeuvre and you should be fine. I got reverse round the corner and the wheels were touching the kerb to the point that if I tried to reverse any further I wouk have mounted he kerb so I pulled forwards a little and then reversed back into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending