The Student Room Group

I don’t like my driving instructor

I’ve been learning to drive since November, passed my theory test and used to feel ready to pass my driving test. But recently I’ve realised how much my instructor stresses me out. Last lesson I kept messing up and he made us pull over and told me how I was doing everything wrong. Kept making snarky comments throughout and would get really angry. I’m sure I’m just overreacting but i get so nervous when driving with him I forget to somehow. Whenever I do something he doesn’t like he shouts no or says don’t you dare (like changing the gear down if I’m slowing down). Which is fine but it makes me nervous to do anything. Before every lesson I get such bad anxiety and feel sick. It’s not only me saying he’s bad, a couple of my friends had him and they said they didn’t like him either. I had my test booked but when I told him the date he didn’t not look pleased. Before that I thought i would be okay but now I’m not sure. I just want to quit and find a different instructor as I need a car for the test but I’ve come so far so it seems stupid to leave now.
He sounds horrible!! I've quite a bit of anxiety, and I would absolutely despise having to deal with someone like your instructor - I can only say that if it were me, I would quit and find someone new!! Then you wouldn't have that anxiety during your test - but, knowing that it's the last time you'll have to see him, perhaps you wouldn't feel that same sense of anxiety then. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Hdjxkebxkeoxb
I’ve been learning to drive since November, passed my theory test and used to feel ready to pass my driving test. But recently I’ve realised how much my instructor stresses me out. Last lesson I kept messing up and he made us pull over and told me how I was doing everything wrong. Kept making snarky comments throughout and would get really angry. I’m sure I’m just overreacting but i get so nervous when driving with him I forget to somehow. Whenever I do something he doesn’t like he shouts no or says don’t you dare (like changing the gear down if I’m slowing down). Which is fine but it makes me nervous to do anything. Before every lesson I get such bad anxiety and feel sick. It’s not only me saying he’s bad, a couple of my friends had him and they said they didn’t like him either. I had my test booked but when I told him the date he didn’t not look pleased. Before that I thought i would be okay but now I’m not sure. I just want to quit and find a different instructor as I need a car for the test but I’ve come so far so it seems stupid to leave now.
I have exactly the same experience. I've been learning with this one instructor for about 8 months now, I've had multiple bad lessons with him but kept giving him more chances. I kept thinking that there's no point switching instructors now as my test is only next month and I've been learning with him for so long, however I've had a bad lesson that's tipped me over the edge and made me realise that even though it's so close to my test I need to switch instructors for my mental health. I'm having to push my test back but I don't mind, I would rather find a better instructor to help pick up my confidence for a test than stick with this instructor that's making me nervous to do anything because everything I do is wrong is how he's making it seem. Have you passed your test now?
Original post by username6024330

If your instructor is not treating you the way they should be, then it's time to change to someone more professional.
Original post by yllit_
I have exactly the same experience. I've been learning with this one instructor for about 8 months now, I've had multiple bad lessons with him but kept giving him more chances. I kept thinking that there's no point switching instructors now as my test is only next month and I've been learning with him for so long, however I've had a bad lesson that's tipped me over the edge and made me realise that even though it's so close to my test I need to switch instructors for my mental health. I'm having to push my test back but I don't mind, I would rather find a better instructor to help pick up my confidence for a test than stick with this instructor that's making me nervous to do anything because everything I do is wrong is how he's making it seem. Have you passed your test now?

Hey if you haven’t bought your driving lessons in bulk, maybe you could change instructors? Or if you have bought them in bulk maybe ask for a refund or say you’d like to swap instructors if it’s a driving school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending