The Student Room Group

Do GCSE's really matter?

I think it's a really interesting question, as it completely depends on your aspirations after GCSE. If you want to do A Level but no Uni, do they matter? What about aiming for Oxbridge, do they truly care? But still, what do you guys think?
Reply 1
Top unis care. Or for medicine. As to the extent I'm not sure, but obviously do as well as you can. For A Levels without uni they don't really matter apart from maybe maths/english.
Original post by TVIO
Top unis care. Or for medicine. As to the extent I'm not sure, but obviously do as well as you can. For A Levels without uni they don't really matter apart from maybe maths/english.

Yeah that's what I thought, but if you got okay GCSE's but then fantastic AS results, the Uni's would surely massively prioritise the AS results, no? I only got 2A*'s 8 A's 1C as well as an A in FSMQ but I'm expecting pretty much 100 UMS in M/FM/P AS level, I'm just hoping them lazy GCSE years won't hold me back.
Reply 3
Original post by joe12345marc
Yeah that's what I thought, but if you got okay GCSE's but then fantastic AS results, the Uni's would surely massively prioritise the AS results, no? I only got 2A*'s 8 A's 1C as well as an A in FSMQ but I'm expecting pretty much 100 UMS in M/FM/P AS level, I'm just hoping them lazy GCSE years won't hold me back.

Very few unis look at UMS but you can have them mentioned in your reference. Also apply to Cambridge, high UMS>>>GCSE performance.
Original post by TVIO
Very few unis look at UMS but you can have them mentioned in your reference. Also apply to Cambridge, high UMS>>>GCSE performance.

Aah okay, fair enough! Thank you very much, yes I will 100% apply for Cambridge xD
I think it's a really interesting question, as it completely depends on your aspirations after GCSE. If you want to do A Level but no Uni, do they matter? What about aiming for Oxbridge, do they truly care? But still, what do you guys think?

They're important for applying to do certain A-Levels. After that their usefulness dwindles until uni application, where a lot of places will look at them but only medicine courses and universities like Oxford will care. That being said, A-Levels are much more important but you must must must try to do your absolute best in each.
Not really. Unless you want to do a very competitive subject at a top uni no one gives them a second thought as long as you've got Cs in English and maths.

Kinda , i guess. But, i dont think it matters that much when it come to most universities. But, seriously, if people cant do well in GCSE, i think they will have more struggle when it come to A levels. :smile:
So the overall feel is, nobody cares about your GCSE's if you do well at A Level, cool.
Reply 9
I think the thing that you need your GCSEs for the most is getting into a 6th form/college to do your A-Levels. Some ask for 5 Cs, but others may want much higher. After that, there really isn't much importance on GCSE grades unless you are planning on applying for a very competitive course at a top university.
Yes.
Our school required 5 B's but I got that easily. I doubt GCSE's are actually looked at, unless deciding between very very similar candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest