The Student Room Group

Mentioning Freakonomics in a personal statement

Hello TSR! I am currently drafting a personal statement for the UNIQ summer school Economics and Management course.

So far I've only completed two economics related books, one of them being Freakonomics. I know that it's such a cliché book to read - do you think I should bother including it? I have a lot I could say about it, but should I just let them think I've only read one book? Has anyone included reading Freakonomics in a personal statement and lived to tell the tale?

I don't want them to think of me as an economics noob, that's all. :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

If it was for a uni application, I'd tell you to read some other articles/books. However, for a summer school, they won't be expecting such a big range of outside reading, and if you have lots of other good things to mention, then mentioning this one book won't harm your application. When discussing it, focus on why it made you interested in economics rather than discuss it in too much detail, as this will be a waste of characters for your application.

Alternatively, you could find some recent, economics related articles to read. This would probably make you stand out more than discussing Freakonomics.
Thank you so much for your advice.:smile:

So economics related articles - that could just be articles I've read in the Economist, Financial Times, BBC etc.? Or would it only include things like those academic economic journals?
Original post by Nijuuninichi
Thank you so much for your advice.:smile:

So economics related articles - that could just be articles I've read in the Economist, Financial Times, BBC etc.? Or would it only include things like those academic economic journals?

The economist and financial times would be fine :smile: Certainly for a summer school, they wouldn't expect you to be reading academic journals yet. Unis do understand these can be difficult to access for sixth-form/college students and wouldn't expect you to have read journal articles yet.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
The economist and financial times would be fine :smile: Certainly for a summer school, they wouldn't expect you to be reading academic journals yet. Unis do understand these can be difficult to access for sixth-form/college students and wouldn't expect you to have read journal articles yet.

Thank you so much for you help!
Just to add - remember to focus on the theory and why it interests you. Even if the related theory isn't mentioned explicitly
Hello TSR! I am currently drafting a personal statement for the UNIQ summer school Economics and Management course.

So far I've only completed two economics related books, one of them being Freakonomics. I know that it's such a cliché book to read - do you think I should bother including it? I have a lot I could say about it, but should I just let them think I've only read one book? Has anyone included reading Freakonomics in a personal statement and lived to tell the tale?

I don't want them to think of me as an economics noob, that's all. :colondollar:

You could explain some of the reasons its a stupid book, that would be ok.
Original post by *Interrobang*
Just to add - remember to focus on the theory and why it interests you. Even if the related theory isn't mentioned explicitly

Did you actually read the OP? Your statement doesn't really appear to be replying to the question as to whether she should specifically mention reading the controversial book "Freakonomics".

What theory are you even talking about?
Original post by cole-slaw
Did you actually read the OP? Your statement doesn't really appear to be replying to the question as to whether she should specifically mention reading the controversial book "Freakonomics".

What theory are you even talking about?

My post related to what had been recommended as a possible alternative to mentioning Freakonomics. And the theory depends on the reading mentioned

Thanks for the advice. :smile: I think I will add in a paragraph about a particular theory I find interesting (maybe from the AS course) and link it to an article I have read.
You could explain some of the reasons its a stupid book, that would be ok.

That would be a good idea, discussing parts I didn't agree with. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough characters left for that. :tongue:
That would be a good idea, discussing parts I didn't agree with. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough characters left for that. :tongue:

I wouldn't recommend doing that, unless the issues are backed up with theory
Reply 12

You can't just say that it's wrong. You would need to show why you think this - so you could say "I read X which gave me a contrasting view". But you can't just criticise published work for no reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
You can't just say that it's wrong. You would need to show why you think this - so you could say "I read X which gave me a contrasting view". But you can't just criticise published work for no reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you can, there are sections of Freakonomics that are shockingly inept. There is a reason why it is a laughing stock amongst professional economists. If you need to read a book to be able to spot the glaring errors, then economics is probably not the subject for you.
Reply 14
Of course you can, there are sections of Freakonomics that are shockingly inept. There is a reason why it is a laughing stock amongst professional economists. If you need to read a book to be able to spot the glaring errors, then economics is probably not the subject for you.

Yes, but the OP is not a professional economist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Yes, but the OP is not a professional economist

Posted from TSR Mobile

no but, if she wishes to show that she is cut out for economics, these are the kind of insights she needs to be making off her own back.

Freakonomics is a good test - if you read it and don't see anything wrong with its ludicrous assertions, you should probably take up some other subject.
Reply 16
no but, if she wishes to show that she is cut out for economics, these are the kind of insights she needs to be making off her own back.

Freakonomics is a good test - if you read it and don't see anything wrong with its ludicrous assertions, you should probably take up some other subject.

There's a difference between realising something is wrong, and staying that in a personal statement. You cannot criticise other work without showing why it is wrong or having something to back your opinions up. If you can't see that, you're clearly not cut out for advising on personal statements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
There's a difference between realising something is wrong, and staying that in a personal statement. You cannot criticise other work without showing why it is wrong or having something to back your opinions up. If you can't see that, you're clearly not cut out for advising on personal statements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well obviously you explain why it is wrong :facepalm2:
Well obviously you explain why it is wrong :facepalm2:

It's more than that. It needs to have a theoretical and evidence-based reason for being wrong. And anyway, it's far better to focus on good aspects of economics rather than saying 'this person is wrong because...'
It's more than that. It needs to have a theoretical and evidence-based reason for being wrong. And anyway, it's far better to focus on good aspects of economics rather than saying 'this person is wrong because...'

serious flaws in methodology and analytical reasoning do not require empirical evidence to criticise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending