The Student Room Group

I have a caution for possession of cannabis. Should I just not even bother applying?

It happened last year, and basically I'm a massive idiot.

I really can't find enough information on the internet about how BDS/CRB checks are handled, and I've read a lot of conflicting information on this website.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to whether it is still possible for me to study medicine?

Is it just left completely up to the university's discretion?

I guess I'll try shooting a few emails to some university admissions departments and see what they say, unless anyone here is informed on this topic.
Original post by WhatDoWithLife

I really can't find enough information on the internet about how BDS/CRB checks are handled, and I've read a lot of conflicting information on this website.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to whether it is still possible for me to study medicine?

I guess I'll try shooting a few emails to some university admissions departments and see what they say, unless anyone here is informed on this topic.

You have to disclose it in applications as you have a criminal record and it will show up in CRB checks. Some unis will be OK but they may discuss it with you. Some will use it as a selection tool (see you)

I know of one student who had a disclosed caution, got on med course. He managed to get a second caution and was fired off the course. It was not for Cannabis but a similar "low level" offence
If medicine is really your dream and you can afford it you can try to apply aboard e.g. Bulgaria to study medicine, you can get a loan to cover your tuition fee's but have to pay for your own accommodation and food, but its relatively cheap and is a popular place for British students so you wont be alone. I'm not sure if the do CBR checks. Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
a caution gives you a criminal record?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unfathomablee
a caution gives you a criminal record?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a criminal conviction, but does show up on BDS/CRB checks, as outlined here: https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

When you apply to medical school, you will be asked to tick a box on UCAS saying that in addition to meeting your grades you'll also need a satisfactory DBS check and occupational health screen. These are done by medical schools after you have met your offer and enrolled. There is an opportunity either when applying or prior to enrolling for you to declare anything before the DBS check is sent for. This will always put you in a good light if you're upfront, rather than having something flag up afterwards (probity is key in medicine).

Definitely send an email to all the medical schools you're considering. This is a low-level offence and is less serious than having charge of possession with intent to distribute. The medical school admissions should tell you:
(1) whether it is okay for you to apply to that medical school
(2) when along the application process you will get an opportunity to declare
(3) any additional documentation, meetings etc. you may require either before enrolling or during the course

Your email query won't prejudice your application.

Hope that helps!
Sadly, I think it's going to make things really difficult for you. The admissions people will be the best people to answer your queries, though they might try to fob you off with the generic 'you must disclose and it is at our discretion' spiel. Try to call up, real life people are often more helpful. The abroad option is a decent one, if you can afford it. Otherwise, you lose nothing by applying and putting something else as your backup, if you really want it - but yeah, your chances are going to be affected.
Original post by joker12345
though they might try to fob you off with the generic 'you must disclose and it is at our discretion' spiel.

That's what I was kind of expecting they might do to be honest.

I should also probably mention it's Graduate Entry Medicine I'm interested in. Not sure if this is available abroad, but I'll look into it. It's possible in my current situation that I could save up to do something like this.
That's what I was kind of expecting they might do to be honest.

No harm in actually asking and seeing what happens...
Original post by purplefrog
No harm in actually asking and seeing what happens...

I never said that I was no longer going to make any enquiries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending