The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dprince
Yeah you're right! They give out upwards of 100 offers for 30 places on PPE. There was someone on the main UCL thread who just didn't understand the concept of that, despite me explaining it explicitly for him. He acted like I was being the stupid one too haha:tongue::rolleyes:. If you think about it in it's most basic form, UCL is just one of 5 universities for all of us so we could suggest that they would give out five offers for every place. Weight in to that the average position of UCL on everyones list, and the likelihood of them achieving the grades set out in the offer they may/may not get and we have a number to multiply the amount of places by and hey presto! That's how many offers will be given out :smile:
Yeah it seems like most people rank it like OX>LSE>UCL>Warwick=Durham>York, depending on which schools you've applied to and where you get offers, UCL is probably second/third choice for the top applicants, so around 100 offers seems likely.
(edited 9 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Maestori
Yeah it seems like most people rank it like OX>LSE>UCL>Warwick>Durham>York, depending on which schools you've applied to and where you get offers, UCL is probably second/third choice for the top applicants, so around 100 offers seems likely.

Yeah for me it was:

Ox>UCL>KCL>Nott>Brstl.

Last year mine was Ox>Dur>Ex>Brstl>Manch.

Thought I'd shake things up a bit this year :smile::rolleyes:
Applied from Australia, still on Application Received.
Original post by jinglewingle
Applied from Australia, still on Application Received.

So am I. If they change it to something like Application Pending, then you'll get a decision realllly soon.
Original post by Dprince
Thank you both guys :smile: Hopefully will still be joining you at UCL though :cool::biggrin:. Feels really good to know I can definitely go. Was very surprised that the Admissions Officer didn't use a Copy and Paste reply as you usually get. Was hand written, with explicit references to what I'd said and how he could help. Was very touched by that :tongue:

That's very nice of them! It's always lovely when they treat you like an individual and not a general applicant. It must have taken a lot of pressure off knowing you're definitely going, especially in London! But yes, it would be so amazing for us all to get offers from UCL! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dprince
Thank you both guys :smile: Hopefully will still be joining you at UCL though :cool::biggrin:. Feels really good to know I can definitely go. Was very surprised that the Admissions Officer didn't use a Copy and Paste reply as you usually get. Was hand written, with explicit references to what I'd said and how he could help. Was very touched by that :tongue:

Aw thats nice of them! I'm hoping for that too lol and considering the quiet week we've had next week should bring some news...hopefully!:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teddysmith123
Aw thats nice of them! I'm hoping for that too lol and considering the quiet week we've had next week should bring some news...hopefully!:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by economicsrocks
That's very nice of them! It's always lovely when they treat you like an individual and not a general applicant. It must have taken a lot of pressure off knowing you're definitely going, especially in London! But yes, it would be so amazing for us all to get offers from UCL! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Teddysmith123

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think something will definitely happen next week! Especially since it will be February! Will be a mental stimulant to get it all done once they see that it's Feb! :smile:
Original post by Dprince
I think something will definitely happen next week! Especially since it will be February! Will be a mental stimulant to get it all done once they see that it's Feb! :smile:

I really hope so! It's nice knowing we are going to hear very soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope so! It's nice knowing we are going to hear very soon :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah at least being close to the deadline now we at least know it'll definitely be in the next few weeks!:smile::tongue:
Original post by Dprince
Yeah for me it was:

Ox>UCL>KCL>Nott>Brstl.

Last year mine was Ox>Dur>Ex>Brstl>Manch.

Thought I'd shake things up a bit this year :smile::rolleyes:

Isn't Bristol > KCL and Nottingham?
Original post by Dprince
Yeah at least being close to the deadline now we at least know it'll definitely be in the next few weeks!:smile::tongue:

I'm glad they're finally getting things done! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, do some of you mind putting up your stats. Just got rejection feedback from LSE saying it was down to my GCSE's and now I'm a bit paranoid haha.

If anyone would like to know mine they're:
GCSE's-6A* 3A 1B
AS- AAAA (maths,physics,history,econ)
Predictions- A*A*AA (A*'s in maths and physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooftar
Hey guys, do some of you mind putting up your stats. Just got rejection feedback from LSE saying it was down to my GCSE's and now I'm a bit paranoid haha.

GCSE's-6A* 3A 1B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your stats are really good though! It's really harsh of them to reject you based on your GCSEs. I got 12A*s + dist at GCSE aaabc at AS, predicted A*A*A*B and likely to get A* in epq.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooftar

GCSE's-6A* 3A 1B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also got rejected from LSE because of AS/A2 grades. My stats are:

GCSE:10A*
AS Level:AAAB
A2 Level (predicted):A*A*A*A

Must have been that B at AS I guess (1 UMS off the A as well) , oh well :smile:
Your stats are really good though! It's really harsh of them to reject you based on your GCSEs. I got 12A*s + dist at GCSE aaabc at AS, predicted A*A*A*B and likely to get A* in epq.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Haza2012

Wow, those are some impressive numbers! Ridiculous that LSE didn't accept you! I always knew my GCSE's wouldn't make me stand out when it came to applying to top uni's like LSE/UCL but I always hoped they wouldn't be a hindrance either.

I'm confident that both of you will get offers from UCL though!
Original post by ooftar
Wow, those are some impressive numbers! Ridiculous that LSE didn't accept you! I always knew my GCSE's wouldn't make me stand out when it came to applying to top uni's like LSE/UCL but I always hoped they wouldn't be a hindrance either.

I'm confident that both of you will get offers from UCL though!

Thank you! I haven't been rejected from LSE (...yet, I'm not confident about getting an offer because of my AS grades) but I'm hoping to get UCL :smile: Good luck if you're still waiting for any universities :smile:

They rejected you based on your AS grades?! That's so harsh. I have a very similar profile to you so I'm really worried I'm going to get a rejection now.:s-smilie:
I wonder if people do this degree for POWER.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ooftar

GCSE's-6A* 3A 1B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow with grades like that I feel my chances of getting accepted are gradually diminishing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonwinner
Isn't Bristol > KCL and Nottingham?

I'm not sure! Don't really fancy Bristol anyhow so for me KCL>Bristol :smile:

I'm glad they're finally getting things done! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As am I!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending