The Student Room Group

Nursing interview

I have been lucky enough to be offered an interview after passing my tests. I don't have a clue what they are going to ask me. I know I have to convince them I want to be a nurse but I find it so hard to find the words.

What other questions do they ask you?
Also if you don't know the answer to a question they ask you, how do you reply? Do you just say 'sorry I don't know the answer'.

I had a midwifery interview 4 years ago and totally mucked it up and really don't want to with this one.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I'm Joel, I'm a 3rd Year Child Branch Student Nurse....

Here are some example questions:

1. Give an example of a time you have coped under pressure
2. Give an example of a time where you have worked hard to achieve something
3. Give an example of a time where you have showed dignity and respect to someone
4. Why adult nursing?
5. What is the role of an adult nurse? (KEY QUESTION! Make sure you have a good answer prepared; it may also manifest itself as something like "What is a normal day for an adult nurse?)
6. How would you calm someone down before routine surgery?
7. What has been happening in health recently? (News items etc)
8. How would you deal with a patient's death?
9. What do you think the top 3 qualities of a nurse are?
10. What are your weaknesses?

These exact questions may not always be asked, but certainly the themes will be present in most, if not all of the questions you are asked. Make sure all your answers underpin key principles of healthcare, such as respectful and non-judgemental etc. Basically, don't go saying you'd be reluctant to treat a patient with a certain religious belief or from a certain culture or anything like that. (Sounds obvious, but you'd probably be surprised what people do say).

Make sure you know about the NMC Code of Conduct (2008) and the NHS Constitution (2013). If they don't ask you specifically about these two documents, being able to cite them in your answers will stand out.

If you really can't piece together an answer for a question, and honestly don't know, say something to the effect of: "Sorry, I don't know the answer. But I'm going to research about it and find an answer". This is the best you can do in this situation. This sort of answer at least shows you have a willingness to look things up that you don't know about :smile:

Feel free to ask any more questions :smile:
Reply 2
On a child nursing course how many places are there roughly??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending