Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm gonna be studying psychology at uni but I never studied psychology, science or maths prior to this at sixth form; so I was wondering if I would struggle a lot in the course compared to everyone else.

If so any ways I could prepare myself for it like books or something, right now I'm studying a psychology course on Alison.com.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im studying psy at sixthform and im also further studying psy in uni! From what i've heard in uni they go back to basics so you wouldnt exactly struggle but probably would need to read up on certain topics and just study more as people who have previously studied the subject would find the first year easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarella)
    Hey, im studying psy at sixthform and im also further studying psy in uni! From what i've heard in uni they go back to basics so you wouldnt exactly struggle but probably would need to read up on certain topics and just study more as people who have previously studied the subject would find the first year easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's good to hear thank you . Any idea which topics I should read up on, or any the basic stuff I should read?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukeyc123)
    Ah that's good to hear thank you . Any idea which topics I should read up on, or any the basic stuff I should read?
    First year won't assume any prior knowledge. Also, at most unis, first year is generally fairly light on workload, so if you were really worried, you could easily catch up during the first year of uni. However, having some basic psychology and biology knowledge would be useful... there's loads of psychology lectures on on youtube (from yale and elsewhere) which cover first year material in a not too difficult way (i'd recommend http://oyc.yale.edu/psychology/psyc-110). I'd recommend also https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology for learning some basic biology.

ReputationRep:
    Also, i made alist of books that i thought were useful or have been recommend by unis for first years or that have won awards (e.g. BPS book award): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2739866
    I'd just recommend finding something you find interest and reading that...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much I appreciate it. I'll be sure to check out all the stuff you recommended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukeyc123)
    Thanks so much I appreciate it. I'll be sure to check out all the stuff you recommended
    The topics that you should check out are cognitive psychology, development psychology, or really just look up online some AS and A2 modules and read up on those so you have some knowledge on the subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarella)
    The topics that you should check out are cognitive psychology, development psychology, or really just look up online some AS and A2 modules and read up on those so you have some knowledge on the subject
    Ok will make sure to check those out thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.