The Student Room Group
Reply 1
shewantstobeme
Why is it that sometimes a Uni may give you an offer which is higher than their 'typical' one?

I know typical offers are just a guide, but still?

coz they can lol.
The prospectus is written well in advance, so perhaps they've received more applications than they were expecting and thus they had to raise their typical offer. It could also be because they're not too sure about an applicant's capabilities, but want to give them a chance.
Reply 3
If your predicted grades are a fair way higher than their standard offer, they may give you a higher (but still do-able) offer to ensure you don't work, eg an ABB offer for a BBC course if you're predicted AAB. My friend said this happened to her for Biochemistry - can't remember whether it was Bristol or Manchester though.
Reply 4
If they have more applicants then expected then giving higher offers will be one way of refining it down to the number of places they have available. Remember that the whole form is considered when making offers, so perhaps the quality of the personal statement and/or reference are other factors. I have only receieved one offer so far and this has matched the typical entry requirements as detailed in the prospectus.
wesetters
They also want to ensure that they don't become your insurance, so they may give you a high offer.

Yeah... Kent was going to be my insurance at BBB, but then they offered me ABB, which is the same as Warwick/Leicester/Surrey, so I was just a bit curious as to why it was higher.
Still happy though :biggrin: Just means it won't be my insurance now I guess... unless the previously mentioned unis offer me AAB.
Reply 6
edited post
(edited 12 years ago)
Actually my friend, post-A-level, got his Law unconditional offer of BBC (his grades) even though they normally ask for ABB!!! I thought he was crazy even applying.

I wonder, would they have given him a conditional offer of BBC had he applyed with predicted grades? Probably not. Though he has done work experience and wrote a good statement since.
shredoholic_strat
Actually my friend, post-A-level, got his Law unconditional offer of BBC (his grades) even though they normally ask for ABB!!! I thought he was crazy even applying.

I wonder, would they have given him a conditional offer of BBC had he applyed with predicted grades? Probably not. Though he has done work experience and wrote a good statement since.

Yeah I recon it was because they knew what his grades were. Well done him though!
Not to mention the C was in Law :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending