The Student Room Group

Poor GCSE and still want to get into mediicne

Scroll to see replies

I agree with what most people are saying here.

Let's be honest. Only option will be to retake GCSE's whist doing A levels.
Achieve A A A A in AS, get A* A* A* A* predicted
Get A*A*A A2.

If you pull it off, first of all you're amazing - second of all you have a great shot at especially with your work experience and such.
Original post by Alaric III
Not to put the fear of God into you or anything, but man are you gonna have your work cut out for you. I got 3A*s, 6As and a B (physics), Three As and a B (Chemistry) at AS and I'm now studying Biology, Chemistry and German. I'm pretty good academically, but obviously so many people apply to medicine with incredible results and predictions. A lot of emphasis is placed on academia, because I stand out from the crowd with work experience - yet all I have to show for it are three rejections from the four med schools I've applied to (one has yet to respond). There's no bitterness there, I'm going on a gap year to work in a hospital in Germany and finally study there; but the English system chews up applicants and spits them out if they don't have straight A*s.

May I ask which uni hav u applied to? You seem to be a good candidate.
Original post by iAmanze
I agree with what most people are saying here.

Let's be honest. Only option will be to retake GCSE's whist doing A levels.
Achieve A A A A in AS, get A* A* A* A* predicted
Get A*A*A A2.

If you pull it off, first of all you're amazing - second of all you have a great shot at especially with your work experience and such.

I dont think uni will look at resit. So wt if I only get 4As and good prediction? still stand a chance?
They won't know you took a resit I think. + you'd stand a chance yes, but a small one as everyone who applies to medicine has that.
Original post by iAmanze
They won't know you took a resit I think. + you'd stand a chance yes, but a small one as everyone who applies to medicine has that.

You have to say if you're taking a resit on the ucas form
Is that specifically for medicine?
Original post by The guy01343
May I ask which uni hav u applied to? You seem to be a good candidate.

Thank you :smile: I applied to Aberdeen, Hull&York Med, Queen Mary's and Keele (which is the one I'm still waiting on a response for) and Cardiff for physiotherapy.

Aberdeen and Queen Mary's I never expected to get an offer for, Hull and York I was surprised to have a rejection from because they say they might still accept your application if you're predicted AAB, but ah well. Keele is either taking their sweet time so as not to appear too keen or because they're taking a nice hard look at my 150 hours of practical work experience.

But I don't anticipate an offer from them either - my UKCAT was okay, average at 640, but with such an oversubscribed course I would be surprised if there wasn't a candidate better than me.

Thank god for Germany is all I can say!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iAmanze
Is that specifically for medicine?

All subjects I thought - you have to claim whether or not you will be awaiting new AS or GCSE results by the time you start uni. It won;t damage your application, but of course a uni would prefer you to get the results right first time around, and they'll probably pick a student who does that unless you have insanely good predictions.
Thank you :smile: I applied to Aberdeen, Hull&York Med, Queen Mary's and Keele (which is the one I'm still waiting on a response for) and Cardiff for physiotherapy.

Aberdeen and Queen Mary's I never expected to get an offer for, Hull and York I was surprised to have a rejection from because they say they might still accept your application if you're predicted AAB, but ah well. Keele is either taking their sweet time so as not to appear too keen or because they're taking a nice hard look at my 150 hours of practical work experience.

But I don't anticipate an offer from them either - my UKCAT was okay, average at 640, but with such an oversubscribed course I would be surprised if there wasn't a candidate better than me.

Thank god for Germany is all I can say!

Whats your UCAS tariff since u applied to Queen mary?
Whats your UCAS tariff since u applied to Queen mary?

I don't know, roughly 600, never looked really. Assuming my performance remains the same or improves this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know, roughly 600, never looked really. Assuming my performance remains the same or improves this year.

Have you got predicted 3 A's?
Have you got predicted 3 A's?

AAB, although I'm doing a retake in chemistry (where I got the B from) (and one in biology too for laughs).
Not to put the fear of God into you or anything, but man are you gonna have your work cut out for you. I got 3A*s, 6As and a B (physics), Three As and a B (Chemistry) at AS and I'm now studying Biology, Chemistry and German. I'm pretty good academically, but obviously so many people apply to medicine with incredible results and predictions. A lot of emphasis is placed on academia, because I stand out from the crowd with work experience - yet all I have to show for it are three rejections from the four med schools I've applied to (one has yet to respond). There's no bitterness there, I'm going on a gap year to work in a hospital in Germany and finally study there; but the English system chews up applicants and spits them out if they don't have straight A*s.

Which universities did you apply to?
Will I still stand a chance if I get 4As in As level?

Yeh off course, that will make up for your poor performance at GCSE.

Note: I am not saying your GCSEs are poor, they are really good GCSEs but when it comes to Medicine standards, they are below average.
Original post by russellwallace
Which universities did you apply to?

post 27 of this thread says it all
Reply 35
Original post by Raymat
The harder the subjects the better, so yes off course. Those are a strong combination of GCE A levels.

Hmm no foundation medicine is normally only for those who don't have the relevant A level qualifications e.g. humanities students and mature students etc.
Reply 36
I got 1A*6A2B2C. However C on English Language. Therefore, I m going to sit the IGCSE cambridge and hopefully I will get an A. Is it still possible for me to apply medicine. I would like to apply queens merry manchester glasgow n plymouth. Please give me some advice guys. Be honest.

You have to sort out that English but otherwise you've got a chance, a decent one if you apply very carefully. You will have to do lots of research and apply very tactically, medicine will have to be the priority not where you want to go to uni.
Look for the unis which primarily use the UKCAT in their application process, or where good AS can be used instead of GCSE's.
Original post by em.d_4
Hmm no foundation medicine is normally only for those who don't have the relevant A level qualifications e.g. humanities students and mature students etc.

I don't understand, I know a guy who got into the foundation course at King's and he did Biology, Chemistry and ICT at GCE A level and Mathematics at GCE AS level. I Also know a girl who got into same course at King's and she did Biology, Chemistry, Geography and I can't remember her fourth subject.
Reply 38
Original post by Raymat
I don't understand, I know a guy who got into the foundation course at King's and he did Biology, Chemistry and ICT at GCE A level and Mathematics at GCE AS level. I Also know a girl who got into same course at King's and she did Biology, Chemistry, Geography and I can't remember her fourth subject.

Well maybe King's is an exception but they are generally offered to people who either didn't get high enough a levels and are deemed to have a deprived background or extenuating circumstance or to those without the relevant queslifications.
Original post by Raymat

Original post by em.d_4
Well maybe King's is an exception but they are generally offered to people who either didn't get high enough a levels and are deemed to have a deprived background or extenuating circumstance or to those without the relevant queslifications.

em.d_4 is right. Kings (and Durham) offer a foundation course specifically aimed at widening access into medicine for people from deprived backgrounds. To get into the Kings course you have to have science A-levels AND be from a state school in London or Kent which they consider eligible (schools which are in deprived areas, few students achieving good grades or going into uni etc).

Most foundation programmes however are for people who have not done the sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending