The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh bless a public schooler. Mixed is the best way to go. (of course, you wouldnt know what with being shut out from the outside world).
Jacket Potato
I have been asked to do a debate with three other people in my school as to whether our school's sixth form should allow boys. At the moment its an all girl's grammar school throughout the seven years. I think most schools in the area have a mixed sixth for which includes several grammar schools. Basically I'm looking for points for and against a mixed 6th form. PLease help!

Now I know why there is no girls in our physics and further math groups
Reply 22
wave_o_mutilation
Ahhh bless a public schooler. Mixed is the best way to go. (of course, you wouldnt know what with being shut out from the outside world).

I go to a single sex grammar school; yet it's still a state school. The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.
Luckily :smile:
I go to a single sex grammar school; yet it's still a state school. The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.

I know they are not mutually exclusive, but the vast majority of girls schools are private schools.

Regardless, your school is still likely to be dominated by middle class people and isolated from the rest of the population.
Reply 25
wave_o_mutilation
I know they are not mutually exclusive, but the vast majority of girls schools are private schools.

Regardless, your school is still likely to be dominated by middle class people and isolated from the rest of the population.

Perhaps that suggests there is a flaw in the selection process if that is the case; although I don't feel the single sex environment has been detrimental to my development, or caused me to become "isolated from the rest of the population".
Personally I've done infant/junior/secondary school and my sixth form college as mixed and I think it's a good thing, most people I know who went to single sex schools wish they didn't.

As for the private schools thing there is one private school near me, one grammar school, and nine or ten normal comprehensives. Of all those schools two are single sex, and they're both nomral comprehensive. City of Portsmouth Boys, City of Portsmouth Girls.
I went to a mixed primary school but since 11 I was at a single-sex school. I've always got on better with girls so I didn't hugely love it. Plus I slacked off a lot, whereas I think if there were girls there I'd me much more scared of looking like an idiot and worked harder. So I vote mixed.
I vote mixed as well, although as I've only ever attended a mixed school it's hard to judge. I'll be repeating what others have said, but no uni/workplace is going to be single-sex and you might as well get used to that at school. Perhaps people work better when separated, I don't know (although I've heard girls in all-girls schools tend to be bitchier :p: ) - but I'm for mixed all the way.
Reply 29
The argument that students will find the mixed environment of university a shock is pretty tenuous. The assumption is that boys and girls are completely separated till they are 18, which of course, isn't the truth. Its about school life, and what you'd prefer. I've been at a single sex school all my life, but so have my female friends, and we'd all agree that its a better system. Its simply a matter of preference, and what environment you feel more comfortable in.

Latest

Trending

Trending