The Student Room Group

I am a 'Fundamentalist Muslim' AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uer23
What about putting a satire of the Holocaust and jgetting sued for anti-semitism.

Firstly why would the satirise the holocaust? That was a genocide carried out by the far right against Jews, Islam and the prophet were being satirised because of the perieced backwardness of their religion and practices, much the way that Charlie Hebdo has criticised the bahaviour of other religions too for being hypocritical, backwards etc.
If however they wanted to satirise the holocuast they should be free to do that, and people would respond by not buying the magazine, peaceful protest etc, which is an exercise of freedom of expression (within the law) on the part of the magazine and the people protesting. That isn't the same as posting a satirical cartoon and getting shot for doing so.
Original post by zippity.doodah
how is that a meaningful distinction/answer?
it's like saying "should an economy be state managed?" and you saying "in a communist country? yes. in a non-communist country? no" - it doesn't say anything about how you feel so why don't you just tell you what you actually advocate? because saying you'd rather a death penalty in an islamic country isn't actually saying anything about specific policies themselves which can exist in any regime

The question you're asking isnt really clear.

Do I dislike homosexuality? Of course, its against human nature. Theres not really much more I can do or say about the matter.
Original post by Professor Purple

Do I dislike homosexuality? Of course, its against human nature. Theres not really much more I can do or say about the matter.

you know perfectly well that the question posed to you was about whether homosexuality should be a punishable offence

If it was 'against human nature' it would be impossible for anyone to be homosexual. Clearly there are, so you're wrong.
Immorality is rife throughout the world in case you didnt know.

Btw why do non-muslims go to Muslim countries such as Dubai, Turkey, Egypt etc., if muslims are not welcome in this country?

They go usually for work etc, but you seem to have missed the point of what he's saying, he's asking why you don't want to live in a Muslim nation, when you regard your faith so highly, considering that this nation doesn't conform to your religious beliefs? What is it about the UK that makes you stay if you disagree with so much of what goes on here?
This isn't a "go back home " kind of comment, I'm the son of sri Lankan refugees, I'm simply curious
Aren't all Muslims fundamentalists?
Original post by moomoobrowncow
They go usually for work etc, but you seem to have missed the point of what he's saying, he's asking why you don't want to live in a Muslim nation, when you regard your faith so highly, considering that this nation doesn't conform to your religious beliefs? What is it about the UK that makes you stay if you disagree with so much of what goes on here?
This isn't a "go back home " kind of comment, I'm the son of sri Lankan refugees, I'm simply curious

No...they usually go for holidays.

My grandad fought in WW2, and half of my family originate from the UK. Why should I leave???
There are non-muslims in muslim countries who are happy there. And I am happy here. Jog on mate.
No...they usually go for holidays.

My grandad fought in WW2, and half of my family originate from the UK. Why should I leave???
There are non-muslims in muslim countries who are happy there. And I am happy here. Jog on mate.

At what point did I suggest you should leave? I simply asked whether you were comfortable living in this country, when you value your faith so highly
Original post by zippity.doodah
you know perfectly well that the question posed to you was about whether homosexuality should be a punishable offence

Yeah I do, and so should the promotion of homosexuality. 10y/o's these days claim theyre gay, because of all of the propaganda they see flying around.
At what point did I suggest you should leave? I simply asked whether you were comfortable living in this country, when you value your faith so highly

What has me valuing my faith got to do with leaving the UK? Or are you under a misguided belief that muslims cannot live around non-muslims?

Plenty of the Prophets (pbuh) neighbours were Jews and Christians, did he leave?
Yeah I do, and so should the promotion of homosexuality. 10y/o's these days claim theyre gay, because of all of the propaganda they see flying around.

but homosexuality is natural in some individuals - you cannot deny this just because a book that was written thousand(s) of years before this fact came to light disagrees - if science says one thing and and a contrasting opinion says another thing, on what grounds do you follow the contrasting opinion when science is the most important element of the evolution and progression of human civilisation? do you honestly see science as less potent in terms of improving human lives than islam? as the old saying goes: science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings (provided science gives you a flying vehicle in the first place, mind you)
What has me valuing my faith got to do with leaving the UK? Or are you under a misguided belief that muslims cannot live around non-muslims?

Plenty of the Prophets (pbuh) neighbours were Jews and Christians, did he leave?

I ask because you as a fundamentalist seem to want to reject many of the things that go along with being in democratic society, eg your notion that your religion should somehow be protected from criticism because it insults you. Ultimately the west is very different from a shari'a state, and I wanted to ask whether that made you uncomfortable? And no I don't believe that its impossible for Muslims and non Muslims to live alongside eachother
I ask because you as a fundamentalist seem to want to reject many of the things that go along with being in democratic society, eg your notion that your religion should somehow be protected from criticism because it insults you. Ultimately the west is very different from a shari'a state, and I wanted to ask whether that made you uncomfortable? And no I don't believe that its impossible for Muslims and non Muslims to live alongside eachother

I never once said it should be protected from criticism or scrutiny, I only encourage people to do adequate research first.
What I do condemn is hate speech, which is what I said earlier in the thread.
I never once said it should be protected from criticism or scrutiny, I only encourage people to do adequate research first.
What I do condemn is hate speech, which is what I said earlier in the thread.

Firstly I apologise for being confusing in my last few posts, and second what to you constitutes hate speech against Islam? Why do you feel Charlie Hebdo crosses that line? Other than the depiction of the prophet that is
(edited 9 years ago)
Cork :biggrin:
Are you Irish?

Dubs:biggrin:
Reply 95
Immorality is rife throughout the world in case you didnt know.

Btw why do non-muslims go to Muslim countries such as Dubai, Turkey, Egypt etc., if muslims are not welcome in this country?

I think any religion/culture is welcome in this country. The exception comes when the person who follows a religion/culture comes into a situation where they have to choose between their religion/culture, and the fundamental values and laws of the country. They must always choose the laws and fundamental values of the country over what any religion/culture dictates if there is a clash. So in the UK that is basically you can do what you like to yourself, but you have to respect the freedoms of other people. You can state your disaproval, but you cant force it.

For example:

Person draws picture of muhummad:
Say "I find that offensive, please don't do that" = OK
Kill them = Not ok, and not compatible with country

Religious Persons Child doesn't want to cover themselves:
Say to the child "I would prefer you to wear x please" = OK
Forcing them to cover up = Not ok, and not compatible with country

A married couple are adulterous:
Disaprove = OK
Stone them to death = Not ok, and not compatible with country

A gay transexual comes to you regarding a vaccancy at your company:
Judge them solely on the aspects that are related to the job as to whether to employ them = OK
Turn them down immediately because your religion says being a gay transexual is wrong = Not ok, and not compatible with country

As a science teacher:
Teach the most well estabished scientific theories that are relevant to the childrens education level = OK
Teach religious dogma which you personally think is more likely true = Not ok, and not compatible with country
If you are fundamentalist, why aren't you trying to convert everyone on this website, since some parts of the Qur'an say to do so, and also say to kill those who will not convert
Hey man sorry you're getting so many stupid questions, good on you to volunteer though!
Original post by K1NG93
Don't expect any Muslim to feel sorry for them. We have condemned their murder but don't expect us to sob over their death.

I agree.
Don't know why everyone's rallying around Charlie Hebdo as the guardians of free speech when they could be talking about the numerous journalists murdered by the IDF. Yeah I condemn the shooters but Charlie Hebdo was a ****ty rag with horrible satire, no one should excuse its racism (I'm talking in particular about that cartoon where they "satirised" the girls who were kidnapped and raped by Boko Haram).
Original post by Niassuh
I agree.
Don't know why everyone's rallying around Charlie Hebdo as the guardians of free speech when they could be talking about the numerous journalists murdered by the IDF. Yeah I condemn the shooters but Charlie Hebdo was a ****ty rag with horrible satire, no one should excuse its racism (I'm talking in particular about that cartoon where they "satirised" the girls who were kidnapped and raped by Boko Haram).

Nice to see someone agree with me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest