The Student Room Group

people who are really tight with money

My friends Dad is really tight with money in a really weird tedious way. For example he wouldn't even let his son get a carrot to put in a snowman once. When we went paint balling they were gonna buy extra paint balls and he got kind of uncomfortable and goes 'I don't like the idea of that'. Do these kind of people annoy you, even if they have no money couldn't they go to extra effort to make more rather than being ridiculously tight fisted.
Original post by Guy Secretan
My friends Dad is really tight with money in a really weird tedious way. For example he wouldn't even let his son get a carrot to put in a snowman once. When we went paint balling they were gonna buy extra paint balls and he got kind of uncomfortable and goes 'I don't like the idea of that'. Do these kind of people annoy you, even if they have no money couldn't they go to extra effort to make more rather than being ridiculously tight fisted.

If it were my friend's dad I don't think it would affect me in the slightest.
Reply 2
money is to be enjoyed. if you hoarde all your money you die and who's laughing then? tax man.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If it were my friend's dad I don't think it would affect me in the slightest.

true but I was more starting a discussion how it would affect you being closing to someone like that
tell your friend that on Christmas Eve he will be haunted by 3 spirits
Reply 5
Kind of a close minded way of looking at things OP. Perhaps there are reasons why people are forced to economise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
Kind of a close minded way of looking at things OP. Perhaps there are reasons why people are forced to economise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes because not spending 20p on a carrot is economizing
Some people are just weird like that, at the end of the day money is earned to be spent not stored
Reply 8
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Yes because not spending 20p on a carrot is economizing

Your correct. It was a general observation anyhow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
Your correct. It was a general observation anyhow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was being sarcastic but yeknow :rolleyes:
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Some people are just weird like that, at the end of the day money is earned to be spent not stored

Yes and no. Although I agree with being that tight with money is a little extreme, you'd be a fool to not save in our monitary climate.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Yes and no. Although I agree with being that tight with money is a little extreme, you'd be a fool to not save in our monitary climate.

Saving =/= not spending

I'm all up for saving, I'm currently saving my money up right now for uni but I'm not tight with money and I don't hoard it
(edited 9 years ago)
some popl are just naturally like that and most peopke find it tedious
how old are you? so you cannot walk to tesco/sainsbury's and buy one? or the local market?

and perhaps your dad was poor, became well off, and now values money. perhaps he's naturally stingy. perhaps he is saving for something. you should know your own father, not people here....
and i don't get why he has money, he HAS to lend you some. again, how old are you? he may think you're an adult and can pay your own way.
Original post by Pulse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
How do you know he has money to be generous with? You don't know what situation people are in, whether they're in debt or are saving for something etc.

Anyway, it's their money, they can do what they like. Nobody has to be generous if they don't want to be. They've earned the money, if it satisfies them more to look at it than spend it then it's their choice.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
How do you know he has money to be generous with? You don't know what situation people are in, whether they're in debt or are saving for something etc.

Anyway, it's their money, they can do what they like. Nobody has to be generous if they don't want to be. They've earned the money, if it satisfies them more to look at it than spend it then it's their choice.

This.
It's good to be wise with money. Live within your means, that's what I always say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could have been that they only had the right amount of carrots left for dinner, so using one would have required a trip to the supermarket and having to buy a whole new pack - that would add up to quite a lot more than the cost of one carrot.

Also, there's the principle behind it - even if its only a few pence, you're just throwing it away. The snowman would have melted after a day or two, so many people wouldn't want to waste food on it - I certainly wouldn't myself.

Quick Reply

Latest